Fordmods Logo

locka 4wd diffs 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: locka 4wd diffs
Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1999 au series 1

NSW, Australia

ok ! i have gotten a price on this unit ! and i now have some more questions !
has someone got a picture of a spider gear as mentioned earlier in this thread !apparently it gets stripped out on installation of the lokka!
and if this lokka is to be fitted with a standard diff centre " do they make non lsd centres that are around the 3.45 or 3.71 ratio and are they strong .

is it rite that i dont need a lsd now ! or is it that this product wont mechanicaly fit on a lsd.
if i have missed anything please bring it to my attention. thanks peety. :D

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

peetys here wrote:
ok ! i have gotten a price on this unit ! and i now have some more questions !
has someone got a picture of a spider gear as mentioned earlier in this thread !apparently it gets stripped out on installation of the lokka!
and if this lokka is to be fitted with a standard diff centre " do they make non lsd centres that are around the 3.45 or 3.71 ratio and are they strong .

is it rite that i dont need a lsd now ! or is it that this product wont mechanicaly fit on a lsd.
if i have missed anything please bring it to my attention. thanks peety. :D

I have my Lokka in the factory 3.45 gears, my car came with a LSD factory fitted. You don't need a LSD, this replaces everything inside the standard open centre carrier.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i know i sound dumb ! but what do you meen by replaces "everything inside the open diff centre "
surely i still keep the s**t 3.08 centre thats in it at the moment. :shock:
as pauline hanson once said ! PLEASE EXPLAIN !!

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You can run whatever gears on it you wish , that will fit into the AU housing.
You dont need a LSD centre as the lokka replaces the internals in a standard single spinner housing.
You can fit the locker with your standard gears and chnage the ratio later on but you are paying two lots of labour for the same thing.
To have it all fitted try Bears Gearbox and Differential Reconditioning in Dunheved. Not exactly cheap , but quality service.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

if i am to purchase the lokka diff ! what is the easiest way to work out the 1 i need.
i own the base model 4ltr 1999 au auto ( stock ) ! what would be the axle spline's 25 ! or 28 !
2 pinion or 4 !
or should i go to my mechanic and get him to make sure of everything before i order. :(

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The AU will be a 28 spline 4 pinion diff.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

thanks evil.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ok...

Under the hat on the back of the diff... There is a carrier inside... Thanks to a for sale thread here is a carrier out of a non LSD:

Attachment:
000_0011.jpg
000_0011.jpg [ 139.16 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]

Non at this view the only difference between the LSD and non LSD carrier is the shape varies slightly...

Now you see the big holes around the... bases of it I suppose you'd call it... There is like 6 or 8 of them or something... This is where you bolt the crown wheel of whatever ratio you like to it... bit 3.08, 3.23, 3.45, 3.7, 4.11's whatever... The centre (carrier) is the same regardless of the ratio... The carriers do not come in different strength (unless EA was diff with only 2 pinion 25 spline?) But for EBII and ED onward (to AUI) with a 4 pinion 28 spline diff a non LSD centre is a non LSD centre... No ratio differences, not strength differences... 1 size fits all :D

As mentioned, you bolt whatever gears you want to it... Or if you wanna do it yourself and save heaps from a diff place you can even leave the original gears there and replace with a Lokka yourself, reassemble the same and nothing moves...

Now this carrier (pictures above) comes apart in two halves... Inside are 6 gears and 2 cross shafts and 2 shims... there is one gear on the end of each axle shaft (where the axle slides into) and then 4 gears which rotate around between those 2 other gears... The 2 cross shafts (actually in three pieces but don't worry about that) are held in place by 3 roll pins (from my understanding?) these are then slid out of the carrier (you can see the end of one cross shaft in the pic) and the 4 gears come out... Now you have 6 gears, 2 cross shafts, 2 shims and some kinds of centre for the cross shafts removed... you install (using the original shims) the Lokka, take some various measurements to enaure it will unlock... and then re-install those cross shafts and place the two halves back together... bolt whatever ratio crown wheel to it and re-insert back into the diff housing... (of coruse you have to change the pinion gear as well if your changing ratios...

I hope this makes sense because if it doesn't I don't know how else to explain it :(

If you download the instructions and visit the boosted forums threads I listed previously they have other pictures...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

and excuse my typos too...

cheers... :D

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

oh there you are timmytimtim ! i was hopeing you would see that post !
no that explains everything thanks buddy ! i was a littlte confused about wether the whole
diff centre was removed ! and replaced by the lokka !
thanks for the very detailed reply ! brilliant. i did go to that link you suggested i think it was boosted !
but you had to register . :D

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

do you good for the future my man... Still like a Fordmods, but they discuss more serious mods for big power as well... Hence why this virtually unbreakable Lokka originated from there...

The whole centre is removed... Your gears removed... The insides of the centre swapped for a Lokka, then the new gears bolted to it and placed back into the diff...

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

so do they make a no lsd with a ratio of say 3.45 or 3.71 if it will fit in my diff housing !( i will go to a diff installer to check)! or can i put in a lsd ratio as above around the lokka.

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

the lokka, the carrier, and the ratio are all completely separate items...

The physical size of the crown wheel doesn't change, just the number of teeth on it...

You can buy whatever ratio gears you want (that are made obviously)... If you want 3.45's buy a stuff LSD and unbolt the gears and give them to the diff man and say I want these...

the carrier is non LSD... its just a case for the inner gears (note these don't effect ratio either) which are swapped out for the Lokka mechanism...

you keep talking as though you believe the Lokka governs your ratio... The fact you run a Lokka has no bearing what so ever on your ratio... the ratio is only governed by what gear ratio is bolted to the carrier which houses the LSD...

You can get the currently centre swapped with an Lokka now... and later on buy a different ratio pinion and crown wheel... the lokka doesn't change... it only locks the wheels together to stop one spinning... how many times it revolves is governed by the gear that is bolted to it... You'll have to fine out if they do a 3.7... Like I said if you want 3.45's then steal them of an LSD centre and bolt onto your open centre...

Your making this really confusing... :?

Is this what your asking?

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

no thats good ! i will shop around and see if a 3.71 will fit ! if not i will go to pick n payless wreckers in sydney and purchase a used 3.45 lsd . :)

Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I am sure others watching this thread agree an LSD crown wheel fits an open centre carrier? I'm reasonably sure they didn't change the size/shape of them?

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next