Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Tocchi wrote:
its pretty comfortable to drive... ive had no handling issues :)

Okay. Have you ever driven wet and gravel roads hard?

i live in WA... no rain :P
i have the power to lock the wheels on the spot, so for me bitumen/gravel/rain - its all the same if i floor it around a corner

the kickout isnt harsh, its more a "float" out sideways with a gentle return, almost identical to the Phoon :P

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

The best fun is 3:77 diff gears with a mini spool in the wet in my ef sedan, dounuts and driffting r fun.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Tocchi wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Tocchi wrote:

i have the power to lock the wheels on the spot, so for me bitumen/gravel/rain - its all the same if i floor it around a corner

the kickout isnt harsh, its more a "float" out sideways with a gentle return, almost identical to the Phoon :P

Seems okay. Can you compare this to the diff you had before?

I tend not to wheel spin these days unless there's ice or i'm off road, but due to the inside-wheel-drive thing a locker may cut in a bit on gravel roads. Sometimes i drift due to high cornering velocities, but maybe the diff type won't matter much to this.

It's sure been a challenge to nut-through the lowdown on auto-lockers. A lot of research and a little progress thus far.

I'm thinking the vehicle and driving style play a major role in whether they a good option or not, as well as finances and noise tolerance, etc. A situation that may be suitable for auto-lockers seems to involve a long wheelbase, a low centre of gravity, well controlled suspension (design, bushes, shocks, etc), and a preference for smooth driving.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TODDLES wrote:
Hi fellas just in response to the lockrite lokkas or early detroit lokkas, i have a fourby with a lokka in it and it is noisey as hell when engaging and disengaging, they clunk, ping and sound like something has broken they can be savage wen engaging and disengaging and i wouldn't recomend the old style i would probly go a new detroit, . . .
How many ticks do i get . . . short wheel base, leaf springs, worn suspension bushes, worn shocks, high profile tyres, young driver?

Quote:
. . . or just chage the tubes over in the pumpkin and get a air lokka from ARB to siut a ford bronco with a nine inch diff centre.
Can you explain this for me, especially about the "tubes"?

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

no worries i'll explain it for ya mate, mini spools r fun to start off with but i don't recomend them to anyone, i would actually talk you out of it, cause
1. your axles r always locked and it ain't good for them, they stress to the point that they can break.
2. your tyres will wear funny and the tread will start feathering with hi and low spots all over.
3. the two above r caused by the inside tyre trying to spin as fast as the out side tyre but also trying to grip at the same time.

The lokka is fun short or long wheel base doesn't really matter, the noisy operation of it you get use to it and don't really know u it's there after a while, high or low centre of gravity not a big part unless you in a fourby that is skyjacked to the max then u have to be carefull, (like mine truck) bushes! would be better if they wern't flogged out along with the shockies, agressive driving plays a big part on the lokka diffs, if u drive normally they will stay disengaged and act like a normal diff does, drive agressively and it will stay engaged also if you have big tyres they tend to keep the lokka engaged to, and as oppposed to a young driver i can't talk cause i'm still young and give mine heaps, so it is always engaged and wearing tyres.

TUBES. this would be the easiest way i could think of fitting a lokka to ya falcon and that is try and find yourself a ford nine inch diff, prefferably and leaf spring type, depending on the width it might just bolt straight in, but if it doesn't you could use your diff housing or go to the wreckers and buy a blank housing out of your model falcon, and all you r u really need to do is pull the tubes out of ya falcon housing and pull your tubes out of the nine inch housing and put your falcon tubes into the nine inch housing so the 1. it will bolt up the same. and 2. u put your axles back in and all that u need is a 28 spline air lokka to siut your axles, which should b 28 spline, hey presto lokka in falcon that can be engaged wen ever u want or need it. hope this helps you out a lot.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks Toddles. I understand what you mean by the tubes now. I didn't know they can be taken in and out and swapped around. If you're right and i would need to go a 9" centre to fit an air locker i could presumably find one with a 4.11 ratio too. The 9" centre would add to the overall cost though.

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Tocchi wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Tocchi wrote:

Seems okay. Can you compare this to the diff you had before?

I tend not to wheel spin these days unless there's ice or i'm off road, but due to the inside-wheel-drive thing a locker may cut in a bit on gravel roads. Sometimes i drift due to high cornering velocities, but maybe the diff type won't matter much to this.

It's sure been a challenge to nut-through the lowdown on auto-lockers. A lot of research and a little progress thus far.

I'm thinking the vehicle and driving style play a major role in whether they a good option or not, as well as finances and noise tolerance, etc. A situation that may be suitable for auto-lockers seems to involve a long wheelbase, a low centre of gravity, well controlled suspension (design, bushes, shocks, etc), and a preference for smooth driving.

the XR was NA with old diff... blew that diff ... tilt tray time :P
got the Lokka and 3.73s installed... as soon as car got back from the diff shop, it had its turbo setup bolted on... 10 days later it was being tuned for the turbo... so i didnt get to test it before turbo

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3