Fordmods Logo

looking at getting my EL mont lowered soon.LPG? Some advice? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: looking at getting my EL mont lowered soon.LPG? Some advice?
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Been looking in to getting my EL lowered soon, most likely on Lovelles Superlows. Now I have a GAS tank in the boot aswell as a second battery, and two subs. Im thinking if i have supers in the back its gonna be way to low like wheels under guards style. I want the top of tyre prob just level with guard. I was thinking superlows in front and wat they call sportslows, meant to be between lows and superlows in the rear. suspension place were also saying sumthing about a metal spacer to take in to account the gas bottle and have supers in the back, but i think it will be to low and wont handle quite as good then as limited suspension travel and lots of bumpstop rubbing. Any opinions pics maybe?

Cheers

97 EL Fairmont
2006 Model Pioneer Headunit
Twin 12 Inch subs
Boot install in progress
Plenty of Mods planned
Fully Adjustable Shiftkit
Lukey 2 1/2 Inch exhaust one muffler, no resonator

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

I went through what you are thinking of doing it.

Superlows f**k handling up, especially if you only have standard shocks like monroe's or pedders.

I had them in my car for a month and decided it was just way too dangerous, the car became very unpredictable on many bumps and grossly underdamped.

I currently have the same superlow springs that I'll soon be looking to get rid of (when I have time!) however I've since installed Koni yellow adjustable suspension, not cheap at $580 per pair. I've got the height at the highest position and the firmness at maximum and its quite nice now although still has a loose-ish rear end however I think I can attribute that to standard profile tyres.

The handling now that the car has been raised to a bit lower than standard is MUCH safer than standard and infinitely safer than leb-spec superlows. The car is extremely pleasant to drive compared to both previous setups.

My advise? Get good shocks first then, and only then, buy springs. If you want it low, get the superlows and you at least can adjust the height with descent shocks AND you can mate the shock rate with the spring rate to have a well mannered, predictable and composed car.

edit - to add, everyone who owns an E-series ford that's driven my car has complemented how good it feels, its firm but not bumpy or bouncy and a few have gone out to buy the Koni's after seeing how good they are in real life. I was extremely skeptic of spending so much on shocks however now that I've seen how they transform a standard, s**t handling overweight family barge into something nice and predictable that feels like it's just lost 300kg of fat, I'm going to buy them for every car I own in the future. They are THAT good.

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:04 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Generally, if you fit matching springs, the rear always sits higher, to keep the factory rake.
Superlows alround with your LPG and weight in the back, it should sit about level.
Never seen lovells superlows, but if their ultralows are anything to go off, they'll sit a bit high.
My lovells ultralows in the rear sit the tyre JUST in the guard.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Cheers fellas, when i do it il be looking at doing the whole lot, KYB fully adjustable shocks were wat were gonna go with the setup?

97 EL Fairmont
2006 Model Pioneer Headunit
Twin 12 Inch subs
Boot install in progress
Plenty of Mods planned
Fully Adjustable Shiftkit
Lukey 2 1/2 Inch exhaust one muffler, no resonator

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]