Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Lower Trailing arms
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Hey fellow ford modders,

I've been busy on the Xr8, and i've found an issue that is bugging me. The Xr8 is an EB Series 1, which i thought was a "narrow bush" rear end. Looking at the diff that's correct, but looking at the body end of the lower control arm, it has poly bushes fit, and they don't look like they fit the control arm, they look like they are "wide bushes" in a narrow bush control arm. On a body with wide mountings. The control arm looks like it can float back & forth side to side on the poly bush. WTF?

I will take a pic later to show what i mean. I will also take some measurements from both ends where the control arm bolts up & compare them with my other EB Series 2 wide bush setup & the ED GLI setup.

I don't suppose there is an off the shelf bush that i can fit into my narrow bush control arm to resolve the issue is there? Otherwise i think I've gotta do a diff swap. :( Not that i don't have a diff, but it's only a single spinner, the Xr8 has an LSD in it. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: Lower Trailing arms
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Bush sizes are completely different for early and late. The shiny black one is an EA one, the other is an ED.....same as EB. Hope that sorts you out.

Attachments:
IMGP3150.JPG
IMGP3150.JPG [ 443.42 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]
IMGP3151.JPG
IMGP3151.JPG [ 489.32 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]
IMGP3149.JPG
IMGP3149.JPG [ 479.35 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Early is narrow, later is wider, i do know that, found it out the hard way a little while ago when i was sold the wrong bushes for my EB Series 2.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Here's the pic I'm talking about. Never seen bushes installed like these - looks wrong to me!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Attachments:
File comment: WTF is up with these bushes?
P1010025.JPG
P1010025.JPG [ 425.37 KiB | Viewed 137 times ]

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

The arms are different too, apart from having holes for the ABS sensor wiring, the holes ( where the bushes go ) are smaller too.
I fitted EA arms in my ED....made a few adaptors, more precise....its in my build thread..Garage.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

i had the exact same problem. mine is a Series 1 EB 'S' and i blew my old diff up (no i wasn't doin skids, did a u turn and it went bang and locked itself) and i bought a Series 2 EB XR8 diff from the Ford wreckers. went to bolt it in one Saturday morning and the bushes were different. so i just used an a** load of washers to space it out. 6 months later and no problem yet

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
i had the exact same problem. mine is a Series 1 EB 'S' and i blew my old diff up (no i wasn't doin skids, did a u turn and it went bang and locked itself) and i bought a Series 2 EB XR8 diff from the Ford wreckers. went to bolt it in one Saturday morning and the bushes were different. so i just used an a** load of washers to space it out. 6 months later and no problem yet

I remember discussing this with you dude, and i do believe you about it going bang after a u turn, my LSD that was running as a single spinner for a while (worn out, 350,000kms) went bang rattle rattle after a left hand turn one day.

I was thinking about installing the correct bushes & then cutting down some other bushes to make poly spacers. I'm certain i have some narrow blue poly bushes in the shed, just have to find them.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I made my spacers from alloy round on the rear, and for the front, alloy round with stainless steel inserts. Does for what I want.

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
I made my spacers from alloy round on the rear, and for the front, alloy round with stainless steel inserts. Does for what I want.

I remember reading about that, and it's a great idea, but i don't have time to get some turned up right now.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]