Fordmods Logo

Lowering an El fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Lowering an El fairmont
Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hi there, i want to lower my el fairmont ...but i dont know if new smaller/lowered shockers are needed, i think new ones would be recommended.

I see it this way, i would be putting superlows on, say all 4. I will be getting el ghia wheels which are 15inch, so say for this topic i already aquire them.

My question is with superlow springs, would i need for sure to change my current shockers? What do use experts or youe expirence says. I also think on my behave having the current lower springs than stock, gives me a slight way to lean against, being dont need shockers yet or not needed yet.

(TAKE INTO MIND, that my front is a toucher lower than standard el's like ghia suspension in front and my rear looks like it has xr springs, so i think the shocks suit the xr springs already) and also i already have a camber/caster kit :D, which i know when lowered it is needed, for best tyre life etc.)

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

it depends really....if your on a budget chuck the springs in and by the time ur shocks r shagged you will hopefully have money for new shocks....if money isnt a prob get springs and shocks...its the proper way really just springs is half a job

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: F150 EL mont&2001 cobra

QLD, Australia

Put them in and jack it up. If the springs are really loose you will need new shocks. Nothing worse than a spring falling out and going through your tire.

Smoken the hides in top gear

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im thanks for the information, allways appreciated.

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

on the topic of lowering ELs.........is it hard to change them urself? i think i currently have normal stock springs and shocks at the front and lows on the back with stock shocks......i think this because the car is just not low enough on the front to be even low and the back is just low enough to be low.....so another words previous owner tried to even out the car by not going too low. i was wanting to put lows at the front and super lows on the back.....hard to do or should i just get a whole new suspension system installed by professionals? btw i dont have a one of those rattle guns or torque wrench thingies for easy work.

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

If your changing springs and the shocks/struts feel a bit soft and or floaty now you may aswell replace them at the same time. Its recommended that shorter shocks struts are used with superlows or lower. The EL ghia rims are 16's. Im doing my EL monty ghia in about 2 weeks with Superlows and GT gas shocks/struts, just have to get me a spring compressor.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
on the topic of lowering ELs.........is it hard to change them urself? i think i currently have normal stock springs and shocks at the front and lows on the back with stock shocks......i think this because the car is just not low enough on the front to be even low and the back is just low enough to be low.....so another words previous owner tried to even out the car by not going too low. i was wanting to put lows at the front and super lows on the back.....hard to do or should i just get a whole new suspension system installed by professionals? btw i dont have a one of those rattle guns or torque wrench thingies for easy work.

cheers

phong =P~

Depends on if you have spring compressors. Try and change the fronts without compressing the old ones and you'll probably get a spring through your head.
It's a s**t job to do without a rattle gun and hoist... I did mine yesterday, but fortunately was at a workshop.
It's really a 2 person job too... a fair bit of force/levering required bolting up the new fronts.
And on a hoist the backs are easy as, as you don't even need to take the wheel off.

And in answer to the original question, your car will look ridiculous on superlows with 15" wheels, will really emphasise the cheese cutters.
I'd buy real rims first, or only put in low springs.
IMO if you're putting superlows in you really need to do it properly, otherwise it'll be as rough as guts and your steering will be all out of whack pretty quick smart :p.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:38 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

thanks dan.....ill leave that to the professionals then :P

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well if you think super lows on 15inch wheels is ridiculoud then check this out.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229017

Also on smaller wheels 15inch u would need superlows to look great.. and on wheels suck as 17inchs low would look the same. great.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

such*

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

just throw superlows and new shocks in it, the 15in. wheels do look small, but even at stock height they look small.
the rears are piss easy to do, the fronts are a bit more time consuming.
i did ball joints/springs/shocks all in 1 hit so i just compressed the springs, pulled the stub axles right out and threw the new gear back in.
you don't really need 2 people, it'll just make the job alot quicker.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

Upon reviewing those pics I stick to my point that superlows on 15s looks stupid.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]