Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

When lowering a car, should it sit -
Dead level ? 59%  59%  [ 133 ]
Slightly lower in the front ? 25%  25%  [ 56 ]
Slightly lower in the rear ? 15%  15%  [ 33 ]
I'm a hick - massively lower in the front ? 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
I like to think I'm a pilot - massively lower in the rear ? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 226

Post subject: Re: Lowering craziness - please explain !
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

Well, I get a lot of compliments on the stance of my EF these days, but when I first got it there appeared to be something wrong with it because it looked so high! And the rear seemed about an inch higher than the front. The suspension was stock at this stage.

Stock ride height:

Modified:

The height from wheel centre to guard is 317mm front and rear - dead level. I got that height from ultralow Lovells in the front and supers in the rear which have been modified. I didn't use ultras in the rear because it would still leave me with a forward rake and I like the level look. Handling was vastly improved, especially as there's less stiffness in the rear so it launches hard with lots of rear weight transfer - and the only surplus weight in the back is a heavy duty towbar.

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

My mate who drives a VS calls the bum drag look "Invisable Caravan" hahaha. A couple of the young fellas from work like this look to the extreem saying that they pull the rear springs out and leave the front stock. :lol:
Sad really, though currently I have King Spring SLs all round soon the rear is getting SSLs as the sills are flat but the swage down the side of the car goes up towards the rear and makes it look higher. and a little tuck never looks too fowl.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:19 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
The height from wheel centre to guard is 317mm front and rear - dead level. I got that height from ultralow Lovells in the front and supers in the rear which have been modified. I didn't use ultras in the rear because it would still leave me with a forward rake and I like the level look. Handling was vastly improved, especially as there's less stiffness in the rear so it launches hard with lots of rear weight transfer - and the only surplus weight in the back is a heavy duty towbar.

Do you have the codes of the springs that you are running? I was looking at the FRL-42XSL in the rear and maybe FFL-27SL in the front but not sure. The ride height your car is running is perfect in my opinion, I would be rapt with that. Are they 19's you have on it?

You are one of the first people that I have seen post up details on what Lovells they are running. I have been looking at getting them for ages, wanted to get some new shocks for the rear before I did though, just got some Koni Reds so I want to get some new springs. Kind of hoping I can go from Pedders Sport Ryder springs and shocks to Koni's with Lovells, an inch lower and still have good handling/comfort.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

dude dum a*** like lower in the rear, spose just like they wear their pants dragging on the ground,as for cars, just don't go around a corner faster than 10km, if ya like that look,dumb a***

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Not sure if the same thing applies with Lovells, but apparently Rear King Lows for XF fit e-series and are somewhere between e-series Lows and Std - ie. a tad taller than e series "Low" - I haven't found out whether the same applies to XF superlows - ie. whether they end up between e-series King Superlows and Lows - or whether the same thing applies to fronts (ie. if XF ones fit e-series and have the same height differences).

For anyone who wants a bit lower than Low but not quite as far as Superlow it could be worth properly researching the full possibilities of XF spec springs - ideally if the XF items do end up 15 or so mm higher for each given type and are compatible with E series installation for BOTH front and rear (I knows rears fit but not sure about front) then it opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Also keep in mind that Superpro sell rear spring seat spacers - in 3mm and 6mm - and I think I also saw a listing for front seat spacers too. Pretty sure Pedders list a rear spring seat spacer too.

I was using 2 x 6mm spacers in each side of my ED rear when I had Lows front and rear as the rear sat just that tad too low (I think because of the position of the seat on the Bilsteins in front). That was before I found out about the XF rear Lows being a tad taller else I'd have just grabbed some of those.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4