Fordmods Logo

Lowering EB 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Lowering EB
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 falcon

New Zealand

Howdy, looking at lowering my EB falcon. its an S pack and ive heard they have 30mm lower springs in them then standard EBs? so will superlow king springs make much of a difference or will it be better to go all out and get adjusties?
im looking at lowering it quite a bit

RIP XS7261

Post subject: Re: Lowering EB
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Adjustables will set you back a fair bit. The only guy i know in Auckland who may do them at decent price is Chris at SuspensionTech in East Tamaki. He's recently moved so I'm not exactly where abouts in East Tamaki he's based now, but i do know he is still out that way. This guy does top notch work with suspension set up's and has done some nice work on quite a few e-series ford's so he knows his s**t.

He did the suspension set up on this XR8, tell me that is not the sexiest ride height ever 8-)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 674322.htm

All depends on how low you want to go really. Superlows generally give a ~50mm drop from std height. Most e-series I've seen with superlows look good, it's low, but not stupidly low. You can also go ultralow which is even lower obviously or get a set of custom springs done to suit, but then i have heard of people having issues with tailshaft vibrations and what not at that height. Also keep in mind that superlows and lower will require short stroke struts/shocks to keep the springs 'trapped' and prevent bottoming out, and a camber kit for the front to correct the camber after the lowering job.

Have a quick skim through this thread and see some examples..
ford-bodykits-f15/pics-of-members-cars-with-low-supers-and-ultras-e-series-t58658.html?hilit=ultras%20tailshaft

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

thats he kinda ride height i want, will i get that with ultra lows? yeah ill get new shocks at same time. whats the deal with the camber? is it a major and cause heaps of tyre wear?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I reckon you could get that height with ultra's, if not you could always get custom springs done to the height you want.

From my understanding, when the car is lowered a fair bit, the camber becomes negative and when it comes time for wheel alignment, it may be possible to run out of adjustment which is typically the case with these cars when superlows or lower springs are fitted. A shim type camber/caster kit which is what i have seen most people use with the e-series, pretty much just allows you to add in extra shims for additional adjustment. Too much negative camber eats away on the inner tread of the tyres rapidly, so a camber/caster kit would be a must if your EB is going to see major dumpage :P

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

sweeeeet, cheers for the info mate. the shims kits expensive?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Not too sure on pricing, not overly expensive though. I did see a set on Trade Me not long ago, the guy wanted $90 i think second hand.

These guys will definitely have them so maybe give them a buzz and see what price they can do them for http://www.autolign.co.nz/

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:31 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

thread moved to , gearbox suspension,driveline workshop..

just because its a 6 cyl doesnt meen you post in 6 cyl workshop.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

finger get stuck on 1? sweet az mate

RIP XS7261

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Keep in mind that when you lower the rear too far, the pinion angle becomes to great and you end up with a rumble because the uni joint is on too much of an angle.

This can be rectified by sourcing ED XR upper control arms and drilling another hole below and to the rear of the existing hole in the upper control arm mount bracket on the diff.

Also, lower does not always mean better when it comes to handling improvements, and general happiness in daily driveability.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

sweet az cheers for that. any idea of how high off the ground is suitable to not get the grinding noise?

RIP XS7261

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If you go to SL's or lower, you will need to get the "diff center bump stop" to stop the tail shaft from hitting the floor. It's available thru ford.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

ok sweet cheers for that mate

RIP XS7261

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 92 EB Fairmont

TAS, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
I reckon you could get that height with ultra's, if not you could always get custom springs done to the height you want.

From my understanding, when the car is lowered a fair bit, the camber becomes negative and when it comes time for wheel alignment, it may be possible to run out of adjustment which is typically the case with these cars when superlows or lower springs are fitted. A shim type camber/caster kit which is what i have seen most people use with the e-series, pretty much just allows you to add in extra shims for additional adjustment. Too much negative camber eats away on the inner tread of the tyres rapidly, so a camber/caster kit would be a must if your EB is going to see major dumpage :P

Hey Guys,

I can confirm this as i just lowered my eb sedan with Pedders Superlows all round.If u lower a E series it WILL screw with the cars front camber and will need a camber kit,otherwise the car will have so much negitive camber it will sit like a hot red head after a good nite's shagging.. :lol: i ordered a set http://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=45146X .I got told by the sales rep for a few extra bucks that these are good because i can screw up to 2.5 degrees of camber ,then if i need more i can just shim these aswell to grab so extra adjustment.

so i hope this helps :)

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Yep, the E series do need a camber kit to give correct alignment & reasonable tyre life if you drop them. Some even need them at standard height! Going to SL or lower requires a lot of adjustment to get it right.

I have a Kmac kit in my EB Ghia I6, riding on SL's & I get good life from the tyres, had pedders set the alignment up. It's due for another alignment, maybe even new bushes in the kit, been 6 years since they have been done.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]