Fordmods Logo

lowering ed xr! how far do i go!! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU Series 2 (LPG only)

VIC, Australia

u must of heard some bad things about cutting springs cause my car was driven for 3 years with no problems. all legal springs looks s**t

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

you dont allways get shot the first time round in russian roulette either......

lows are generally 1"-1.5" lower
superlows are generally 2"-3" lower
ultralows (super-super lows??) are generally 4-5" lower.... looks awesome, but as practical as a flyscreen umbrella...... also very much illegal

shoey, assuming you do have superlows, how sure are you that they're legal?

Banned

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
you dont allways get shot the first time round in russian roulette either......

lows are generally 1"-1.5" lower
superlows are generally 2"-3" lower
ultralows (super-super lows??) are generally 4-5" lower.... looks awesome, but as practical as a flyscreen umbrella...... also very much illegal

shoey, assuming you do have superlows, how sure are you that they're legal?

100% has been mesured by cops mechanic and me it is right on the limit there is still plenty of clearence with super lows because my mate has them in his futura he has since change to super supers

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

mate i have an ED XR6 with superlows and now that they have seated themselves it is f**k low, i for sure wouldnt go any lower! it is a nice looking height but at the same time still practical in most applications.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

best bet is to ring a dealer. i also recommend kings springs. everyone on here is saying superlow or ultralow. fact is there is many more heights than just 2. ring a dealer and tell them what you want. i have what you would get if you asked for superlows in the front of mine. 345mm from centre of hub to guard. rear is about 335 - 340 centre of hub to guard. you can also get 330mm and then they go up in 5 or 10mm increments.

as far as legal height goes, i'm not sure who knows the rules as my car went through regency (s.a. transport inspection place) as i bought it from interstate and it failed first time. it was at 320mm all round. they told me it had to be 345mm all round. bought new springs, took it back and they passed it after another measure up. (had spare wheel out and empty tank so that rear would pass) however i have heard of people getting defected by the cops (4.9 futura i think is one) and they measure at about 350mm. all states should be same but prolly not.

heathsedxr6 - i still have the springs i took out (320mm all round). $70 and they're yours. not sure how much postage will set you back. your shocks will no longer have travel either. when i put the new springs in the ride was 10 times better. it did look good though. pics in my gallery.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

fronts wont be any good to heath... different front springs for i6 and V8

tho ask me next week and i might be very interested in your springs..... uncut superlows, right?

Banned

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

cannot guarantee what they are. they are a black spring. not sure if they are the stock ones reset or what. don't look chopped unless they got repainted. will ask previous owner (none other than controversial member ebv8) as i am still in contact with him.

i don't see why you can't use v8 springs in a 6. other way around may be different.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XW / BF Falcons

VIC, Australia

In regard to legal limits, I believe the supension travel has to retain at least 2/3rds of the original travel. Additionally I believe there is meant to be a minimum of 100 mm clearance from the road to the underside of anything on the car.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
fronts wont be any good to heath... different front springs for i6 and V8

tho ask me next week and i might be very interested in your springs..... uncut superlows, right?

uncut springs. bought from 'all springs' in heathcote apparently. was 320mm centre of hub to guard all round. pics in my gallery.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII/ED XR8

WA, Australia

heres my xr8 with ultra lows at the back, and supers lows at the front, still not low enought for me personally :lol:

Hope that helps, oh and i dont think super lows lower the rear neally enough, supers at the front are OK....

Modified EBII/ED XR8

2.5" Twin system dumped at diff, pacemakers, 19" Impul's, low profiles, k+n filter, trip com, sunroof, massive doof doof, momo steering wheel, cruise, snorkel, lovells super lows on koni adjustables

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII/ED XR8

WA, Australia

oh and this isnt too low, only scrap the front sills a tiny bit on big speedhumps and curbs, but if you have a stock zorst, u might wana get it lifted up, thats wat scraps the most

Modified EBII/ED XR8

2.5" Twin system dumped at diff, pacemakers, 19" Impul's, low profiles, k+n filter, trip com, sunroof, massive doof doof, momo steering wheel, cruise, snorkel, lovells super lows on koni adjustables

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

prydey wrote:
cannot guarantee what they are. they are a black spring. not sure if they are the stock ones reset or what. don't look chopped unless they got repainted. will ask previous owner (none other than controversial member ebv8) as i am still in contact with him.

i don't see why you can't use v8 springs in a 6. other way around may be different.

different spring rates, the front will sit higher, and will be as hard as buggery

Banned

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF V8 & BA XR6

WA, Australia

scott

have you been to pedders, they have a lower platform strut for the front, which will drop it another 30mm

i have them on my ef with 1st staged lowered and the heght is great for what i use the car for, but still can drop it more if i want to

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU Series 2 (LPG only)

VIC, Australia

i have heard lovell springs are pretty good thinking about getting lovell ultra lows for mine just not sure how it will ride

Post subject: how low
Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

i have the lowest that pedders offer in the rear and pedders adjustable coil overs in the front they sit and ride great and sticks well to the road . its the way to go.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next