Fordmods Logo

Lowering EF Fairmont!!! What do i watch out for??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Lowering EF Fairmont!!! What do i watch out for???
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF V8 Futura, 180sx

QLD, Australia

Hey guys on saturday and sunday im going to lower my EF fairmont just thought id ask if there any tricks or anything i should look out for or avoid when im put my Dobinsons super lows in with new monro GT shocks.

Ow one more thing HOW THE HELL DO U GET THE TOP BALL JOINT TO RELEASE FROM THE UPPER CONTROL ARM!!!!!!!!
it like it was welded there LOL

Thx

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EA2 'Mont

VIC, Australia

don't worry about undoing the ball joint just lever down the arm with a crowbar over the caster arm (is that what it's called?) while someone else removes the strut.

Much faster :)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:57 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I personally think its easier to undo the upper ball joint. Just undo the nut and hit the upper part of the spindle down with a hammer. Should only take a couple of good hard swings. Just make sure your accurate with the hammer!!

Also, its good practice to loosen of any bushes which are bonded (mainly upper and lower rear arms and front lower arm) and then tighten at ride height. Can be difficult on the floor, but your bushes will last alot longer. If you have urethane, then don't worry about that bit...

and silencer there are many names for the caster arm, probably more common though as the radius rod.

Cheers
Matt

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

SileNceR wrote:
don't worry about undoing the ball joint just lever down the arm with a crowbar over the caster arm (is that what it's called?) while someone else removes the strut.

Much faster :)
I like this method the best, no chance of damage to the nut or thread. Loosen the nut and spray with WD40 a little while before you try. It should come out after a few tries with the crow or jemmy bar. If it won't let go then with pressure on the joint as before give the thread a few taps with something that is not going to damage the thread such as a rubber mallet.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

xf_xr6 wrote:
I personally think its easier to undo the upper ball joint. Just undo the nut and hit the upper part of the spindle down with a hammer. Should only take a couple of good hard swings. Just make sure your accurate with the hammer!!

Also, its good practice to loosen of any bushes which are bonded (mainly upper and lower rear arms and front lower arm) and then tighten at ride height. Can be difficult on the floor, but your bushes will last alot longer. If you have urethane, then don't worry about that bit...

and silencer there are many names for the caster arm, probably more common though as the radius rod.

Cheers
Matt

s**t thats a good idea lossen off all bushes amd retighten while car is lowered never would of thought of that.

Ive sprayed the top ball joint with INOX and use a crow bar and hit the s**t out of the upperarm and the bolt and nothing ive also used a oxy and burned the s**t out of the ball joint thred and top of the upper control arm and s**t won't release LOL

Ford EF Futura Black
18" koya Strykers, AU engine with port and polish EB head, crow valve springs, standard cam, Large aftermarket RX7 turbo, T5 manual 3" intercooler piping, 600x300x100 intercooler core, MSII with innovate wideband O2 sensor and guage. BA F6 bodykit

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

do i have to worry about the sway bar or anything I would like to buy a new sway bar for superlow EF's just havn't got the $$$ and don't know of anyone selling them

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Good idea to have a camber kit ready to go in as well.

Photo below shows upper control arm undone, for new
shim type camber kit. Old strut and spring has been removed
for new ones to go in.

Attachments:
p1.jpg
p1.jpg [ 40.49 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:57 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Another little tool i've used is an old leaf out of a leaf pack cut about 3/4 in lenght. Then this is welded to a bit of box tubing, and then an old commodore radius rod is welded to the other end.

Once you loosen your balljoint, you insert the leaf end of this "tool" and apply a bit of down pressure on the other end, and it usually pops off straight away.

I'd be a bit dodgy on your ball joint now... after applying extreme heat it may have F*^&ed it.

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

HOLY CRA9 when i was lowering the car after i put the new shock first thing i though

WTF WHERE THE WHEEL GOING!!!!!!!!

WTF are these shocks SUPER ULTRA ULTRA LOWS LOL

started to pannic but then the car stop going down LOL

tell ya what she looks hell of alot better with Dobinson Super Lows and monro GT shocks.

ALL i got to do is get all new bushes for the control arms sway bar etc and ill do them next week.

To bad i can't put my mags on for a wheel

LOL Cure them huge hubs on the front rotors

Ford EF Futura Black

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Glad you went the Dobinson's but seeing you went the super lows it would have been wise to use shortened shocks. You will find that the suspension travel will be very little (10mm approx) what it means is that you will be riding on the bumps stops which will make it a harsh and bouncy ride. Not only that if you have a cop that knows about cars he may give u a defect notice for insufficient travel.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Make sure you get a wheel alignment now, cos all the front end geometry will be messed up. 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:45 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

yeh definately get a wheel alignment - toe changes a s**t load when you super low a car.

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Get some pics up mate :P.

Did the shocks trap the super low springs easily? or a little bit of play?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]