Fordmods Logo

LSD or Lokka in EF Auto Wagon? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: LSD or Lokka in EF Auto Wagon?
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

I've got to change the rear wheel bearings in the next few weeks, so I'm thinking it would be a good time to install an LSD or Lokka in my EF wagon whilst I've got the axles out.

It's used as a daily driver in Canberra, so lots of roundabouts to go around. It's not driven really hard so I'm not likely to wear out an LSD quickly.

My main concern is if the missus is driving it in the wet, would an LSD or Lokka make the wagon a handfull to drive around corners, roundabouts or to park?

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Post subject: Re: LSD or Lokka in EF Auto Wagon?
Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

An lsd should be fine but you dont want the wheels locked together all the time you will do damage and its ilegal

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

A Lokka should be fine with an Auto. Bry40l, a Lokka is a mechanical centre, not permanently locked.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ok woops

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

However, I would recommend you get an LSD. For an every day driver, that your good lady also needs to drive, the LSD is the best choice.

Unless you are going to drag the car, or have HUGE amounts of power, the LSD is more than sufficient for your needs.

The Lokka can be a bit noisy and can jerk the car while cornering.

I have had LSDs in both my old sedan and in the my Wagon.

The LSD would be more progressive in the way it locks up too.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Thanks guys. It's sounding like an LSD might be more sensible for how the car is being used most of the time.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Post subject: Cheap Diff Shop in Canberra / Sydney / Wollongong areas?
Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Any suggestions on somewhere that can install an LSD for a reasonable price?

I'm in Canberra but happy to travel to Sydney / Wollongong areas.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

EF Wagon wrote:
I've got to change the rear wheel bearings in the next few weeks, so I'm thinking it would be a good time to install an LSD or Lokka in my EF wagon whilst I've got the axles out.

It's used as a daily driver in Canberra, so lots of roundabouts to go around. It's not driven really hard so I'm not likely to wear out an LSD quickly.

My main concern is if the missus is driving it in the wet, would an LSD or Lokka make the wagon a handfull to drive around corners, roundabouts or to park?

Unless your wife knows how to drive with a LSD, don't. For the inexperienced they can be dangerous, especially in the wet. Have seen more than one accident due to not knowing what to do with a LSD in the wet.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura / FG XR6 / DF LTD

NSW, Australia

SWC wrote:
EF Wagon wrote:

Unless your wife knows how to drive with a LSD, don't. For the inexperienced they can be dangerous, especially in the wet. Have seen more than one accident due to not knowing what to do with a LSD in the wet.

Agree wholeheartedly , to someone who is inexperiences they can be very dangerous in the wet with the car jumping sideways and following the camber of the road on up changes .

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

wrongwaynorris wrote:
SWC wrote:
EF Wagon wrote:

That being said, its only a small learning curve. if she drives around sedatly, there will never be an issue, I am assuming you want the LSD for when you decide to get up it. A lokka or True TRac required a bit more presence of mind to drive, but, my wife has easily driven my Manual XR with true trac and is still alive, its only throttle that will cause it to lock up, and a decent application of throttle. Don't be afraid of it in the wet either, remind it at all times who is boss.
Agree wholeheartedly , to someone who is inexperiences they can be very dangerous in the wet with the car jumping sideways and following the camber of the road on up changes .

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]