Fordmods Logo

Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON 

Page 34 of 41 [ 603 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next

Post subject: Re: Machining stub axles- BUDGET BIG BRAKE BUILD . BRAKES ON
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Decided to make myself another kit , New up rights and brackets . But after I make turbo ghias kit .
I first found out that trying to acurately mark out the bottom hole on the upright was hard as there is a rotor in the way .
I have come up with this method to accurately drill the hole in the right spot .

1. make the bracket first. As the top caliper bracket doesn't go into the upright it will be holding the caliper bracket onto the bracket .
2. Place bracket and caliper bracket over rotor
3. Since the top hole is already there , I drill it out to 10 mm .
4. Get brackets In position . Put 10 mm bolt through top hole and tighten bracket down .
5. Now the bracket is held down by the top 10mm bolt and the caliper bracket is held down by the 12 mm bolt .
6. Spin rotor and make sure it clears bracket , then take off caliper bracket and rotor . Since I have the bottom hole drilled on the bracket and rotor off I can clearly mark on the upright where to drill .
7. Drill upright 12 mm and its done.

Then hope fully should pass after that .

If you plan on making a few, it would worth the time spent to make solid jig to drill the wholes without needing to assemble every thing.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I made one set , no one else was really keen .
Still need to make my self a better set , probably won't make any more . Too much work and not enough time ..
It's a great kit which is proven to work , shame more people weren't interested .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I think most of us were waiting to see if you get your engineer to pass a finished set.

A very cool achievement though.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The other kit I made would of passed engineering .
The engineer had no issues how it was made so I never bothered going any further

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Get it engineered, then you will have much more interest, because if it's been engineered, you can sell the bits much more easily.

I'd be interested on the machined subs, some hubs & the caliper mount brackets if it was engineered & not too expensive. I can get calipers, pads & rotors myself.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL TURBO GHIA

Power: 372 rwkw

NSW, Australia

do any of the major brake places have there kits engineered ?

would you buy them if they werent ?

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

STREET FORDS FEATURE CAR ISSUE 42

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Afaik none of the brake companies have engineered the kit themselves but people who have brought them have engineered them .

Ill probably get the brakes engineered if I decided to engineer it for a turbo .

Atm I'm too busy with my own car and have no licence so would be difficult making a kit .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

the point i was trying to make to torana guy was . none of the brake places have there's engineered .so he's gonna be hard pressed to find a kit that is .

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It is massive dollars to engineer a brake kit to be able to be fitted by anyone. Thus noone does it.
But a kit that has been engineered in a vehicle and is a known thing that it can pass makes life easier.
Its like engine conversions in 4x4's. The conversion kits are not engineered in any way shape or form but they are engineerable.
Also to have a kit engineered as a bolt on for anyone would get stuffed up the second someone wanted to supply their own rotors , calipers or pads that were in anyway different from the kit that was tested.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TURBO_GHIA wrote:
the point i was trying to make to torana guy was . none of the brake places have there's engineered .so he's gonna be hard pressed to find a kit that is .

That I know mate. I've also been thru engineer's in regards to an engine swap, know the fun of the game. I've also looked at the other "kits" on the market, and being in the auto parts game I can get pads, rotors & what not a lot cheaper than in the kits, I don't need or want a full kit.

Point I was getting at is that if "this kit" has been engineered, there would be interest as we then know it can be done again. I wasn't saying to get the kits engineered so that it comes with the paperwork in every kit (I doubt there would be an engineer that would sign off on it anywhere), just to get it done for the first kit.

Until then, I can't see any interest in the most important parts. Why risk getting them, and failing to get them engineered because it's never been done before? I can't afford that risk, neither can 99% of E series owners.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thats fair enought . but no company is gonna sell you the machined parts by them selfs . i tried .

corey had them looked at by an engineer and he failed it on one hole that was drilled to big .he said he would pass it if the hole was drill the right size .

for me that was enough as a pass as any.

i asked corey to make another kit and fix these problems . which he did . so my kit would pass as far as im concered .

i see it as theres no interest in the kits cause people who have e series generally dont have the money to spend on brakes that are worth 3 times the value of the car . there are to many "gonna" people on here . there all gonna do this and gonna do that but 98% of them never do s**t .

i "risked" getting them. and thats something im willing to do . there is not much difference between all the kits. i cant see how coreys are any different or why they would fail .

HMMMM BOOST !!!

ED fairmont R.I.P

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Some good points there.

I reckon there might be more of a market for just the machined parts than some think. I know I could afford to grab the machined bits now, then in a month or two time grab some new rotors & pads, then another month or two grab the brake lines & calipers, rebuild the calipers & fit some new ball joints to the machined uprights to be able to fit them to my car.

In one hit, that's a big hit to the hip pocket, which I just (like most E series guys) can't afford.

I noticed some machine hubs on eBay recently by the same mob that does a lot of full kits.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That's how I went about doing the kit , each week i brought a new part and it didn't break the bank .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

Thats how im doing the upgrades to my motor, wait till the dollar is good the grab a this then in a month grab that etc etc its taken me 8 months to get all my bits but its all here and im ready to do the upgrades with minimal offroad time i think thats the secret a bit of patients goes a long way

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

So if I'm right, using these uprights I'd be able to run the standard au2 rotor's if that was all I wanted?

Sort by  
 Page 34 of 41  [ 603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next