Fordmods Logo

Make it comfy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Make it comfy
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Hey all, i just got an imaculate "Granny spec" EF fairmont, its so smooth and comfortable it is nothing ive felt in an older car before but i wanna lower it, not stupidly like so it sits on the ground but so it will look nice with 18's can i maintain my ride quility with lowering springs? or will it all turn to s**t?
I am not interested in going fast, or fast round bends if i wanted that id buy another race bike.
I just want it look look nice and be a relaxed chillfull ride, last car i lowered cost over a grand, looked great, handled like a go-kart but thumped the bumps, and was no good for an aussie road! :cry:

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Post subject: Re: Make it comfy
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:28 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

unfortunatly once you lower it the smooth ride will dissapear ....

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

and 18's won't help the cause either

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dobinsons have a comfort option spring in 'low' for the Falcon. 'low' is about std XR height.

Unfortunately 'smooth' and 'lowered' arent two words that go together well when speaking about an E-series, or any other falcon for that matter.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

You may be able get a lower ride height (and better handling) without losing much comfort in normal driving. The magic elixir is progressive rate springs. Check out this story to get the general idea:
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Franks-S ... ticle.html

Progressive rate springs can behave similar to standard springs in normal driving, but get progressively firmer as the springs compress when the car leans in a corner or goes over big bumps. You can't get exactly the same ride comfort on lowered springs - if you kept a standard spring rate with a shorter spring, you would bottom constantly.

You can visually identify a progressive rate spring easily: the coils are significantly closer together at one end than at the other. A single rate (normal) spring has evenly spaced coils. Some recommend against mixing the two kinds on one vehicle - it can upset the handling.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thankyou you all heaps for the responses, even if the news did kinda suck for me lol :lol:
Why will 18's make the car less comfertable? i thought more rubber would make it feel nicer?

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
Thankyou you all heaps for the responses, even if the news did kinda suck for me lol :lol:
Why will 18's make the car less comfertable? i thought more rubber would make it feel nicer?

18" is only the inside diameter of the tyre. When you match 18" tyres to your car, they are colse enough to the same outside diameter as any other size. The only way to get more rubber on the road is to go wider.

18" are less comfortable because they have smaller, and therefore stiffer, sidewalls. So more of the bumps are transmitted to the suspension components and more transmitted to the cabin as a result.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:

... :? ...think of it this way. Horse carriages have massive wheels with relatively no rubber...f**k s**t ride, feel every bump and just painfully uncomfortable. Wheel takes most of the force while the thin rubber does not flex cushioning the impact. Now get a smaller wheel with larger rubber...less stiffness due to tyres having more flexibility allowing for impacts to be absorbed.

Now if you stick 18" rims on your car and small tyre walls, it's going to be more bumpier and less comfortable than 16" with more wall thickness.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

what they said. less sidewall. stiffer ride.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1993 ED xr6

VIC, Australia

i have king springs SSL in the rear and SL in the front with boge lowered gas shocks on 19's, and mine rides fine. doesnt bounce around and i dont think it has a harsh ride.

have a mate with the same springs on standard shocks and it rides like a heap

but as the others have said, it will never be as soft as standard

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/cwhitz-ed-xr6-build-thread-introduction-t106086.html

Daily - 1993 ED XR6 - Wade 1521a - 156.2rwkw
Toy - 2009 Husqvarna TE510, converted to motard!

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

phongus wrote:
ford-racer46 wrote:

... :? ...think of it this way. Horse carriages have massive wheels with relatively no rubber...f**k s**t ride, feel every bump and just painfully uncomfortable. Wheel takes most of the force while the thin rubber does not flex cushioning the impact. Now get a smaller wheel with larger rubber...less stiffness due to tyres having more flexibility allowing for impacts to be absorbed.

Now if you stick 18" rims on your car and small tyre walls, it's going to be more bumpier and less comfortable than 16" with more wall thickness.

That actually made sence to me.... reminds me of the movies were they bounce around in the cart, :mrgreen: Points taken yo!!! i guess to stop it looken like a 4x4 i gotta sacrifice :cry: I rekkon it'll be worth it!

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

I dont know about everyone else but I like firmer riding suspension, not bone-crushing, but quick to take up bumps.
I drive both an EF on super lows, koni red shocks (set stiff) and 17s on 45 series rubber and an EF stock as they come on 15s. I can certainly say that the firmer ride feels more responsive, enjoyable and SAFER!
The stock EF is so damn sloppy and I cant feel the road (if that makes sense) and in the wet it is so god damn unpredictable!

Choose your shocks carefully, use rubber bushes (for less vibration transfer) and as mentioned above, keep the sidewall reasonable and you can have a nice low ride without sacrificing your spine and kidneys :lol:

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]