Fordmods Logo

Manual conversion - clutch pedal switch?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Manual conversion - clutch pedal switch??
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Does anyone know exactly what the clutch pedal switch does in an ED 5spd manual car? (ie. is it just a start inhibit or is there some effect on the ECU?).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

for cruise control,

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

madmax wrote:
for cruise control,

No, I know about the Cruise Control cutout switch - the one I'm talking about is separate to that.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

There are two cutout switches : One Vacuum and one Electronic. Both for Cruise according to the diagrams. its a fail-safe.

Nigel

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Nigel wrote:
There are two cutout switches : One Vacuum and one Electronic. Both for Cruise according to the diagrams. its a fail-safe.

Nigel

Yep I hear what you're saying but the Cruise Control cutout switch is a combined vac switch and electrical switch - the unit used on the clutch pedal is a big grey bugger (I thought it was identical to the brake light switch but it's not) - in an auto car of course there's just the one combo switch on the brake pedal but on the manual there's a second one for the clutch pedal - in which case both the electrical circuit and the vac circuit are in series for the two combo switches. That side of things I have sussed pretty well.

The one I'm after info on is a purely electrical switch. The bracket that holds the switches for the clutch pedal has two sets of mountings - one for the cruise control combo cutout switch and the other for this larger electrical switch. I actually have a manual pedal support bracket complete with brake and clutch pedal and the brake light switch and clutch pedal switch - both different to the cruise control combo switches (well, it was complete - both pedals are now in the car awaiting the rest of the gearbox changeover in a couple of days).

It's really frustrating because I'm sure I've read references to some sort of feedback to the ECU from this clutch switch - but technically I'm inclined to think - and hope - that it's just a start inhibit.

I'm fairly sure I've found the connector for that Clutch pedal switch - so I guess all I need to do is try connecting the switch off my spare pedal support bracket and with it pushed in/made see if the engine will start - if it does start then I guess the switch is for something else such as ECU feedback on clutch position - I'll try that in the morning.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I converted my XF from auto to manual. My old manual one had a clutch switch, and it didnt have cruise control, and in the car I have now (converted using the parts from my old one) there is no clutch swtich & I'm still running the auto computer. It seems to run just fine. So I'd personally just see how it goes without it.

Gab

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

looking through my workshop manual, it mentions a switch but unfortunately it doesn't tell you what its for. I would assume it is for idle speed control, like the neutral switch on the manual transmission. I doubt it is a start inhibitor switch.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

The clutch switch is for cruise control on manual cars. It disengages the cruise control when you press the clutch, otherwise your revs would go up as the car is trying to maintain speed. It has no other function.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Spork wrote:
The clutch switch is for cruise control on manual cars. It disengages the cruise control when you press the clutch, otherwise your revs would go up as the car is trying to maintain speed. It has no other function.

Like I said - this switch is not the cruise control cutout switch - I have one of those on my brake pedal and the workshop manual clearly illistrates another vac/electric combo switch exactly like it for the clutch in manual cars.

The switch I'm looking at is a totally different thing - like madmax says, the workshop manual does illustrate this switch (in the same picture is the cruise control combo switch right alongside it in fact) and even explains how to set it up - but not what it actually does.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Your talking about the Neutral Idle switch : Used to adjust Idle quality in Neutral on some cars.

Some fords use it, some dont. I mean across the world, not just falcons.

The XFs did use it, im not sure about the rest though. I only have gregories wiring diagrams however the library around here has ford factory workshop manuals so I might go take a look there. Otherwise you could.

Cheers

Nigel

Post subject: Re: Manual conversion - clutch pedal switch??
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Does anyone know exactly what the clutch pedal switch does in an ED 5spd manual car? (ie. is it just a start inhibit or is there some effect on the ECU?).

As everyone has already said.. its ONLY used for the Cruise Control.

The EEC doesnt have any 'clutch' inputs.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Spork wrote:

Like I said - this switch is not the cruise control cutout switch - I have one of those on my brake pedal and the workshop manual clearly illistrates another vac/electric combo switch exactly like it for the clutch in manual cars.

The switch I'm looking at is a totally different thing - like madmax says, the workshop manual does illustrate this switch (in the same picture is the cruise control combo switch right alongside it in fact) and even explains how to set it up - but not what it actually does.

So your saying there are two switches on the clutch pedal. One for cruise and one is unknown? I will have a stickybeak under my car this arvo and have a look. Pretty sure there was only 1 though.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I have a big grey bugger of a switch on my car. Its used for the cruise control.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

banarcus wrote:
I have a big grey bugger of a switch on my car. Its used for the cruise control.

Yep, this one's a big grey bugger - I'm not too worried about it but it's just confusing because I'm looking at EA/EB/EBII (ED) Factory Workshop Manual and it's showing on the Clutch Pedal Switch Bracket both the vac/electric combo Cruise Control switch (same as the brake pedal one - hooked up in series both on the vac plumbing and the electrical wiring) AND this big grey bugger.

In the EF factory WorkShop Manual they show only the big grey bugger and it's definitely cruise control cutout (but on earlier cars in cannot be for that as the cruise cutout system uses combo vac/electric switches).

Evidently it's something to do with idle control but isn't critical so I'm not too worried. The box gets fitted tomorrow - I hope there are no dramas as we're supposed to hit the road on the weekend to travel to Queensland (HOME!! - God's Country - Land of Hills, Rivers and Forests, not f**k DESERT and SAND!!!)

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
banarcus wrote:

Yep, this one's a big grey bugger - I'm not too worried about it but it's just confusing because I'm looking at EA/EB/EBII (ED) Factory Workshop Manual and it's showing on the Clutch Pedal Switch Bracket both the vac/electric combo Cruise Control switch (same as the brake pedal one - hooked up in series both on the vac plumbing and the electrical wiring) AND this big grey bugger.

In the EF factory WorkShop Manual they show only the big grey bugger and it's definitely cruise control cutout (but on earlier cars in cannot be for that as the cruise cutout system uses combo vac/electric switches).

It is likely that on the EF the one switch does both functions, (cruise & idle?) as the brake light switch is also both cruise & brake lights. EA,EB had a vacuum cruise system which required the seperate combo vacuum switch on both brake and clutch.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]