Fordmods Logo

Manual conversion in 94 EF Futura 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Manual conversion in 94 EF Futura
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Been toying with the idea of putting the manual gearbox and stuff into my car, Im getting bored with auto.

Now before anyone says anything, I have done a search and a bit of reading on this topic. But I still had to opst up to iron out a few bugs.

Ok looked at some of the prices that have been floating around here, and they are way out of my league. So chatting to Fraser and he gave me the idea of a getting a wreck and tkaing what I need. Ok, that I can do.

QUESTIONS:
---------------

1) What kind of wreck am I looking for? Obviously its manual, but can it be wagon, EA-ED, EL, etc?

2) What would the manual converison do to things like BEM, ECU and cruise control? What would change?

3) What kinda stuff would I be taking from the wreck and from my car to swap them over? What can I change and what stays the same?

4) When buying a wreck (since I am only interested in it for the manual conversion) what sorta stuff should I be after? What ar e warning signs that the car isnt worth it?

5) With my limited mechanical knowledge, how long (roughly) to swap it over? Any ideas on labour for a mechanic to do it?

Feel free to discuss anything about it in this thread, the more info I have the better.

Cheers fellas!

Post subject: Re: Manual conversion in 94 EF Futura
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

1) What kind of wreck am I looking for? Obviously its manual, but can it be wagon, EA-ED, EL, etc? - EA-EL (EA bellhousings only 3 bolt though? :? )

2) What would the manual converison do to things like BEM, ECU and cruise control? What would change? nothing - but best to have a manual ECU otherwise you'd need to trick your auto ECU into thinking it was in N all the time - so an EF manual would be best

3) What kinda stuff would I be taking from the wreck and from my car to swap them over? What can I change and what stays the same? pedal box, gearbox, clutch cable, clutch (best to get new possibly so you don't have to replace in a few months time)

4) When buying a wreck (since I am only interested in it for the manual conversion) what sorta stuff should I be after? What ar e warning signs that the car isnt worth it? you want to make sure the 'box is intact - so anything hit from the rear would suit you better - or even on the side - from means its harder to get access to what you need!

5) With my limited mechanical knowledge, how long (roughly) to swap it over? Any ideas on labour for a mechanic to do it? no idea! :P but make sure you have the right tools! having a decent toolset makes everything go so much easier!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

id be willing to try lend a hand if ya wanted. and if ya got a wreck i could be interested in some stuff from it too. and any new stuff ya needed i could get ya cheap ;)

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

its not that hard to change some really fidly things you have to get to, started motor needs to come off or something that arm was swearing and throwing things about trying to get off.

someone really needs to write docco me thinks, but its def possible to do u will need help and beer for when its done, took arm, vic kyle and i the whole day with food breaks etc. adraian did most of the work he could write a docco.

with a wreck u would be best of finding a manual xr6 as the rest of the parts will fetch u some good coin as well.

but gli are pretty cheap i know autos go for around 800 yet to see a man go at acution though

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:16 am 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Do I need any speciial tools? When I wwas doing the steering wheel changeover, didnt have the T50 bit so had to buy one halfway through taking my steering wheel off.

Might buy a Gregorys today or soemthing.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

special tools nope not really, set of wheel ramps and axel stands if that specialty.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

but items such as a decent spanner/socket/screwdriver sets make the job go a lot smoother!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Yeah I got all those.

Not much luck at the auctions today, only one EBII in manual. Bummer.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

Ok been looking at other cars and sutff related to all this..

what about this?

http://www.autotrader.com.au/photodisplay.asp

Where else can I look for wrecks or cheap conversions?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

that link goes nowhere dylan!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
that link goes nowhere dylan!
Direct from Page

Full T5 conversion for Falcon sedan or wagon. Includes gearbox, tailshaft, console, computer, flywheel, harness, cross member. Normally $1100 exchange, now only $800. And as a special, if you have a working 4 spd auto to exchange, we will do it for.

$650 the ad says, I wonder if thats installed?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

i doubt it would be, id drive up qld and get it done if it was, and it would be cheaper than getting it down here still!

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef falcon

WA, Australia

sh*t 650 thats cheep as chips i wonder if they give u like a one month warrenty so you can get it in and make sure the box isnt f*cked

also wonder if we have any nice ppl over here doing them for that price..... doupt it.

stage2cam,lukeyheaders,highflowcat2 1/2, 2 1/2 exhaust 3 hotdogs, 17x235/45 17x255/40's

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

yeah thats trading in the 4speed auto. He emailed me back, saying he has to chase up a few items, will get back to me with a price.

Now I assume I need a different ECU, does it have to be a EF Futura one or will a EF GLi one give me the same thing without losing any feautres?

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

WA, Australia

XR6 ECU would be the best if you could get one, but any manual ECU from Gli or Futura will do

R.I.P. Scotty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next