Fordmods Logo

manual conversion...now not starting? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: manual conversion...now not starting?
Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

G'day, posted this on another forum, but went nowhere lol. Not sure if threads in the right area or not, mods, feel free to move.

Recently converted my ef to manual, using the auto ecu. I made the loom with the resistors in it etc before i started the conversion, plugged it all in, including manual loom, car started, with auto totally disconnected so one would assume it would work with the manual?
So i put the box in, everything is fine except the car wont start, dash cluster says its in neutral (as it should). When i turn the key to start, the exclamation mark appears as if the car is in drive.
So, i dodgied it up so i can drive it, using a button and a relay to the starter motor.
Ive looked over everything and everything is plugged in etc, my speedo works, which is obviously through the same loom as the neutral and reverse switch wires but the reverse lights dont work and the car is acting as though its in gear? ive tried connecting the wires together, connecting them to the switches etc....to no avail.
Anybody got any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Sorry for the long post :D

Post subject: Re: manual conversion...now not starting?
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

CozEF wrote:
G'day, posted this on another forum, but went nowhere lol. Not sure if threads in the right area or not, mods, feel free to move.

Recently converted my ef to manual, using the auto ecu. I made the loom with the resistors in it etc before i started the conversion, plugged it all in, including manual loom, car started, with auto totally disconnected so one would assume it would work with the manual?
So i put the box in, everything is fine except the car wont start, dash cluster says its in neutral (as it should). When i turn the key to start, the exclamation mark appears as if the car is in drive.
So, i dodgied it up so i can drive it, using a button and a relay to the starter motor.
Ive looked over everything and everything is plugged in etc, my speedo works, which is obviously through the same loom as the neutral and reverse switch wires but the reverse lights dont work and the car is acting as though its in gear? ive tried connecting the wires together, connecting them to the switches etc....to no avail.
Anybody got any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Sorry for the long post :D

thinking that you have the reverse light plugs and the neutral plug on oppisiote pins... swap them if that works that was ya problem what guide did you read voxace's or my one in the tech documents forum area?

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:06 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I followed voxace's guide, the only part i needed to know was the electrical side of it all.

I thought the wires were back to front as well, but even with them switched, still doesn't start and the reverse lights don't work. Ive tried connecting the wires together, therefore bypassing the switch totally and still nothing happens. It's got me beat :wink:

thought it could be ecu related? but as i said i tried it all before i pulled the auto out and it worked faultlessly :S

Corey

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

Just a thought could u have some how lost the stored code for the smartlock with all the wiring jumble and it is preventing the ecu from running?
Does it not fire or not crank?

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Just making sure it's not something really dumb.

you are starting the car with the gearbox in neutral aren't you? They won't start if you have it in any of the gears.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

n00bus m@x1mus wrote:
Just a thought could u have some how lost the stored code for the smartlock with all the wiring jumble and it is preventing the ecu from running?
Does it not fire or not crank?

well, the ecu works, it still runs, just won't crank via the key and the reverse lights also don't work. I guess i've narrowed it down to be something wrong from where the manual loom plugs in, to where it meets the ecu.

Quote:
you are starting the car with the gearbox in neutral aren't you? They won't start if you have it in any of the gears.

Yeah, tried starting it in neutral, reverse. Tried connecting the 2 wires together incase the switch was stuffed, swapped the wiring to the plugs etc.
It's does the exact same thing that an auto does if its left it anything other than park or neutral when trying to start it. The little exclamation light appears everytime i turn the key to "START"
It's odd because according to the dash cluster the ecu thinks the car is in neutral, but it wont let it start?
I made another plug with the resistors in and also another gearbox loom, both did nothing :S.

Thanks for your suggestions guys, i appreciate it.

Corey

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Not sure if this will help. But try unplugging the ECU and let it reset (let it sit without power for about 15 mins), then double check the wiring of the loom. Connect the battery up and see how it goes.

It could also be a damaged wiring loom, or got damaged when you did the mechanical side of things. Have you tried plugging the auto loom back in and doing the resistor trick?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

check the terminal on the starter (the starting terminal not the battery feed), make sure your neutral switch isnt stuffed.

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Not sure if this will help. But try unplugging the ECU and let it reset (let it sit without power for about 15 mins), then double check the wiring of the loom. Connect the battery up and see how it goes.

It could also be a damaged wiring loom, or got damaged when you did the mechanical side of things. Have you tried plugging the auto loom back in and doing the resistor trick?
Quote:

I'll give that a go today, see where it gets me, all i can think of is that i knocked something off when i was unbolting and bolting the starter motor...

check the terminal on the starter (the starting terminal not the battery feed), make sure your neutral switch isnt stuffed.[quote]

I've currently got the switch bypassed just incase it is damaged.

Corey

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

I suspect the wiring hasn't been done correctly.

From memory:
reverse light wires - red/black x 2
starter relay - black and black/green

The above are on there own plug which goes into the auto neutral safety s/w.
If you've plugged in a manual gearbox loom (the rectangular plug), be aware the wire layout differs between models.
The auto round plug is the same throughout.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

For our benefit please start from the top.
U had an auto with the auto ecu and loom as factory, right?
now u are using the auto ecu but modded with resistors to confuse it into thinking it is in neutral to use the manual box with a manual loom from ecu harness to box, right?

Have u tryed a different ecu maybe even a manual one to skip all the headaches.
Or personally i would try fitting it all back as standard ( not the box obviously) and connecting up the neutral/park selector detached from the auto box and switch it manually with a flat blade screwdriver to neutral and see if it cranks. Sort of like imagining there is still an auto in there and starting as normal, cept there is not an auto but a manual pretending to be an auto do u spreckin ze english?

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Does the smartlock light on your cluster flash in any particular sequence when you try to crank the engine? This is how the error codes are displayed from the smartlock system.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Sounds like the neutral switch may be stuffed....

Ive wired mine a little differently - when I reded the wiring, I put a jumper in the connector so that the car will start without the neutral switch - more a matter of being able to start when I stall it.

Now... that also means that as an ex-auto driver Ive attempted to start it in gear too without the clutch... yuck.

The reverse lights not working is a worry too.

Did you use a manual wiring harness, or modify the Auto one? - From Memory if you use a manual one you do actually need to change/move the pins in the connector

nigel

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

n00bus m@x1mus wrote:
For our benefit please start from the top.
U had an auto with the auto ecu and loom as factory, right?
now u are using the auto ecu but modded with resistors to confuse it into thinking it is in neutral to use the manual box with a manual loom from ecu harness to box, right?

Have u tryed a different ecu maybe even a manual one to skip all the headaches.
Or personally i would try fitting it all back as standard ( not the box obviously) and connecting up the neutral/park selector detached from the auto box and switch it manually with a flat blade screwdriver to neutral and see if it cranks. Sort of like imagining there is still an auto in there and starting as normal, cept there is not an auto but a manual pretending to be an auto do u spreckin ze english?

Yeah, i spreckin ze english :lol: haven't tried a manual computer as yet, will give it a go when i get hold of one, i'll try connecting it all back up with the auto shiz, tomorrow or monday. All i can do is experiment and hopefully something makes sense eventually lol.
I appreciate all the help.

I'll let you know i go :)

Corey

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]