Fordmods Logo

Manual conversion 

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Easy done
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:14 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NA Fairlane SVO

QLD, Australia

Man you can easy do this for under 5k, My manual conversion cost me about 300 bux. I got the conversion kit from a mate for 250 and I had to get things like flywheel bolts and spigot bearing... Keep an eye out on ebay you cand find conversion kits for around 300-400, that come with nearly everything and as for the ECU u can use your auto ECU with a resistor trick. Voxace has made a technical docco on how to do the whole conversion. Oh and I have never used a mal wood clutch pin, The dash is around a 4 hour job but its normally free so it is worth it.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

no he was asking if 5g was enough for a conversion using a new TKO 600 box, which according to Mal Wood's website they are 3660 just for the box itself, so 5g including labour and other parts MIGHT be enough

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Certainly does help. Thats what I was thinking of doing, sourcing all the small mechanical parts from Ford, buying the clutch new and get the ecu, gear boot and other bits from the wreck.
The EA wreck I have has pretty high km's so Im a bit wary of using the T5 out of it. If I were to take it into a transmission place would they be able to look over it and give me a rough idea of its condition without completely pulling it apart and costing me a fortune? If not I'll just source a new(er) box from another wreck and take my chances.

Froudey wrote:
I got the little clips and so fourth new from ford, the prices are near to nothing a couple of dollars here and there, Fly wheel and pressure plate etc if the 2nd hand on seems to have alot of meat go with it or just get a kit after market from autobarn / repco etc etc.. hop this helps

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Post subject: manual conversion
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef series 2 xr6

QLD, Australia

i have an ef series 2 xr6 and am looking for help on quotes for parts can any one send me any info

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

sorry to but in here but am considering doing this manual conversion myself,just curious with these mal wood clutch pins,is that so you dont have to pull dash out etc and would i still need to source brake and clutch pedals,and an above post has answered my question in regards to tricking the auto ecu,do all of these options work reliably,oh and how much are the mal wood clutch pins.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Clutch pin was $121 delivered for me. All you need to do is source a clutch pedal and cut down your old auto one. I just put heaps of rags down inside the car and set to it with an angle grinder.

The auto ecu's are fine when your trick them, how ever some people report minor rev hang and other small issues. Nothing major really.

Any other questions, just ask :P Its the best mod you'll ever do :P

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

sorry to but in here but am considering doing this manual conversion myself,just curious with these mal wood clutch pins,and with the Cruise Control to EF/EL as i have just put Cruise in it

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

With mine the auto pedal box didnt have a provision to install the swtich to turn off cruise when the clutch it pushed in. Iv never really found it a problem i just have to turn cruise off before changing gear. No big deal really

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

fairmont599 wrote:
With mine the auto pedal box didnt have a provision to install the swtich to turn off cruise when the clutch it pushed in. Iv never really found it a problem i just have to turn cruise off before changing gear. No big deal really

On the EA - ED peddles there is provision for this switch, and I'm sure if someone really wants to they could add it to the later peddle box. Just grab the bracket from near the brake peddle off a car at the wreckers, and drill two holes & pop rivet it into place near the clutch peddle in your car, fit the switch & hook it up.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: Manual conversion
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

The doco on this site is one of the best things i have come across. I did this to my eb. There were a few differences from the doco but if it wasnt for that i probably wouldnt have doen the conversion.

I owned a eb 5 speed ages ago and have had about 5 autos since then. I boguht my current EB as auto because i couldnt find a clean manual for the right price, will all my intentions to convert it to manual.

To be honest with you with a family if my eb was my 'family car' i wouldnt have converted it over. As the auto was so smooth and easy to drive. The manual is great fun to drive and does give you more power than a stock auto. as i dont drive it everyday i really enjoy it. i never thought i would say that i really do think im getting old!!

Good luck with it.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Post subject: Re: Manual conversion
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Only time the 5spd has annoyed me was in peak hour traffic before i recently changed the clutch & clutch fork. Old fork had pulled away from the pivot & it wasn't working properly, making the clutch very heavy. Now the replacement is in, peak hour isn't very hard at all anymore. I do however have to watch the use of my right boot, tonight in the wet, just about any peddle at all was causing the a*** end to start dancing down the road to the LSD tune. lol.

Yes, i have lots of tread on reasonable 235/45 R17's on the car.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3