Manual gearboxes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Manual gearboxes
Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I'm just wondering what all the different types of T5 are? was, for example, an XF T5 essentially the same gearbox as an EB one? What are the strengths and weaknesses of a T5? Is there a website I can read about T5's, what you can do to strengthen them, what cars they were used in etc? Where can I read similar information about some other gearboxes? Ie; Supra boxes, Single rails, top loaders and the like.

Any info would be appreiciated.

Gab

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ea - eb 1 use a t5 but it has lower first gear ratio with a 3 bolt fly wheel. the eb2 - el used the same t5 but had longer first gear ratio along with 6 bolt flywheel.

you can go along the line of fitting a 5 speed supra box, and there are a few others. but you need to buy the custom belhousing from caslte maine rod shop. then you will need a spigot bearing, and thats just to make it all fit.

after this you will more than likley need a custom length tail shaft to suit the box. other problems that you may run into with this type of conversion is a speedo gear.

after doing a few sums it seems as though it would be much cheaper to source a cheap eb2 - el T5 then have it rebuilt to handle the amount of power required for the application. with a relativly stock motor there is no way you will kill a standard T5 gearbox, unless of course you go dumping the clutch at 5grand daily.

to strenthen them they can be rebuilt to T5z spec as per xr6 turbos from the Ba onwards.

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that, there's no way my motor will kill even a standard high km T5 yet lol, I'm just curios about a few things lol is the EA T5 the same as the XF one? I've got a late `87 XF T5, behind a 250 Crossflow.

Cheers, Gab

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

as far as i know the EA one has different ratios and im sure it would most likely be a better model then the XF one as it would of had some problems prefected etc, this may be true may not, im currently in the process of installing a EF T5 into my XF

Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6T

WA, Australia

theres quite a few people needing gearbox rebuilds of late
after 12 + years and 200 000+km they really do need looking after.
syncro's start to die :(

Old car burnt.
New car XR6 Turbo !!
No mods, anyone want a xr6t ?

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

it really depends how you drive it as to how well it will hold up. like i said if u dump the clutch at 5 grand on a gearbox that has 200,000km you have to expect its not going to like it much. if your nice to it then chances are it will be nice back and not die on you.

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Yes the EA 5sp is the same as XF. It was called a HD unit for the XF. The 1st gear ratio is 3.50:1. EB on was 3.25:1. This was because of the diff ratio used with T5, mainly 2.92:1. Later they used 3.08:1 diffs with the taller first in the EBs.
The single rail BW, 6cyl was 3.32:1 first gear, the V8 ones had various taller first's.
In the T5, I use a mix of oils, 80/20, ATF/VMX80 and Nulon G70. This gives good gear changes when cold, nice & slick. The VMX 80 with the G70 gives longevity to the oil. Change at 20,000km intervals.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]