Fordmods Logo

Massive crunching in 2nd gear. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Massive crunching in 2nd gear.
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

I converted my car to manual a few months ago with a second hand gearbox. Ever since i put it in i get massive crunch in second gear, this only happens when im drving it hard and revving it say over about 3500rpm. When i drive normally its perfectly normal down and up shifting, although when its under pressure it crunches, both going up and down gears. the bloke i bought the box off swears that it was fine when he removed it.

The only thing i can see it being is either
a- he is lying
b- could it be an engine mount causing this? i ask this because im thinking it only happens when the car is being pushed and possiby the engine is twisting too much??

if you guys think it is the box im assuming it would mean reconditioning the whole thing... anyone have any ideas on pricing??

Its getting really annoying now... any help would be much appreciated.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Post subject: Re: Massive crunching in 2nd gear.
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: eb s xr8

NSW, Australia

could be the gear sincros might be able to adjust or replace still a big job to replace

check your engine mounts if there rubber check for cracking or driness

good luck :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:49 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

2nd gear synchro is rooted. either the guy knew about it or he never drove it hard enough to have the issue show its head.

He may not have been lying, might of had a bit more mechanical sympathy than yourself. I know the noise you are talking about, I popped the synchro on the EB when it was blown, simply sounds like you have not put the clutch in far enough and you can feel the gear skip throught the stick.

Find out how much to get teh box serviced, then decide if you can live with it.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:52 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

If you interested, I have a box in my garage that needs a reco, you could always take it and get it reco'd then just give my yours when you put the reco'd box in? sounds like its in the same sort condition as my box.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I have the same with fourth gear now (never did before - Can only blame myself and the short throw shifter) and... Well... You're too far away to swap boxes with mate. And I don't think you'd like the condition of second and third gears either... Ah well....

If it still moves forwards, why bother complaining?

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the offer dc_todd, its exactly as you are stating. I will find out costs and let you know. I dont mind pulling it out and having the car sit there for a while as i only drive it a few days a week and can really do with out driving it at times too. Your right its not fair to blame the bloke with out knowing for sure if he knew or not...

It was a lot worse with the short shifter i had, i put in the standard shifter and it made it better.. (i think the longer throw didnt 'force' it into gear).

It does drive and go foward and i guess it sort of forces me to be nice to the car, but sometimes i just want to give it a little or even with out noticing and then it crunches.. it has the same affect on me as running finger nails down a chalk board... depends how much it will cost i guess... im currently researching changing my motor so maybe ill do it all at once.. save some $$ and do it then...

i wish it was an engine mount :-(

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:03 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

a poorly designed short throw shifter can "rush" the T5 box and cause excessive and premature wear on the synchros. a few short shifters set the pivot point TOO deep, also hard shifting can overspeed the synchro generating the same issue as short shifters.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NA Fairlane / FE LTD

VIC, Australia

Practice double clutching and matching engine speed to road speed then you can drive around the problem. Some trucks are still useing straight cut gears, a day of practice and you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

^^^^^^This was about the only way I could go from 3rd to 2nd at times in the old GMH M20 4 speed boxes.
The synchro set with 1st and 2nd are multi component - that is the cones are separate from the gear - unlike 3rd, 4th and 5th.
Only way you'll know is strip the box down - might be best to have another trashed T5 to rob parts from.
Then again, it may only need a sharpening stone to remove burrs from the synchro rings.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: eb s xr8

NSW, Australia

v8 box

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

There is the option of going straight cut gears (still has synchro's 1st+2nd) but in a T5 your looking around the 4G mark! The best oil you can get for these is the Redline gearbox oil, I found it stopped a bit of noise but it really helped with the shift, until I smashed the inside of it!

*sorry to hi-jack but thought it may be relevant...

I'm in the process of "upgrading" my standard T5z (the spare one) It may not make it stronger when you smash through the synchro's with your short shifter (only 2nd I swear!) The big killer of these is the heat, the box starts expanding where it shouldn't! So im sorting out a plan to put a touring class mod on my car...

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]