Smokin em up

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey guys whats max power a ba xr6 turbo 5spd can handle

Post subject: Re: Max power ba turbo t5 can handle
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:17 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i would say about as much as a t5z.. as the ba xr6t only had between 180 and 200rwkw stock...

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I've been researching about the T5 / T5z boxes too. The factory torque capacity is rated at 330 ft/lbs (about 450Nm). My engine puts out 164 rwkw at present with 380Nm. As Troyman said, you can safely go to 200rwkw. I think they'll handle a bit more (depending on how they're treated).

The first thing you need to know is what's the condition of the synchros, gears, bearings etc. I bought a T5 conversion from the wreckers only to find it had shaft play each end and makes noise in reverse. I'm in the process of tracking down an agent in Australia for the G-Force T5s. I reckon a few guys on here would buy one if they are available at a reasonable price. I'm also going to ask a local company to if they can make a longer clutch cable to go around the engine rather than under it.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:06 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Falcon

NSW, Australia

Theres a place in sydney that do that sort of stuff they made me a clutch cable said it will never brake only cost me $40 too. So i guess the t5z out of the question for me, back to square one lol

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
I've been researching about the T5 / T5z boxes too. The factory torque capacity is rated at 330 ft/lbs (about 450Nm). My engine puts out 164 rwkw at present with 380Nm. As Troyman said, you can safely go to 200rwkw. I think they'll handle a bit more (depending on how they're treated).

The first thing you need to know is what's the condition of the synchros, gears, bearings etc. I bought a T5 conversion from the wreckers only to find it had shaft play each end and makes noise in reverse. I'm in the process of tracking down an agent in Australia for the G-Force T5s. I reckon a few guys on here would buy one if they are available at a reasonable price. I'm also going to ask a local company to if they can make a longer clutch cable to go around the engine rather than under it.

Check out these guys - http://www.astroperformance.com

You'll find G-force don't make anything to fit our cars. The input shafts are different lengths to the Mustang ones. If you can get a measurement of the XR6t input shaft and tell them at Astro, they'll modify an input shaft to suit. Also, they have an Aussie distributor comig very soon.

The Astro A-5 kits are rated to 575lb/ft and 650hp when you fit one of their kits consisting of all new gears 1-4, input shaft, mainshaft (as our setups use different bearing type between input and mainshaft) and cluster support plate.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Scaffy, will the Australian T5 input shaft be a straight swap with the Mustang input shaft? I suppose the output shaft has a different spline as well. :(

Any idea on what the Astro kits might be worth? Then there's the question of the flex in the casing, which some of the guys on the Mustang forums say is a myth.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

From what I can gather, aside from length, the Aussie input shafts are different from the Mustangs in that they use a different type of bearing, so no, they aren't interchangable. The output shaft in the Astro kit has the same number of splines as stock.

A complete Astro kit to suit our cars, including bearings/synchro/seal kit, after customs, duty, etc. will probably come in at around $2500 - $2600, depending on the strength of the dollar.

As for the flex in the casing, I'll quote Tony, from Astro in saying -

"A lot of people question the T-5 Case ability. And rightfully so if using a Gear Kit (1st-4th) that has a High Helix Angle. The Countershaft tries to push against the Rear Stamped Steel Retainer on Stock Sets causing the Steel Plate to distort when it gets hot. When this happens the "Preload" on the Countershaft is affected. This allows the Cluster to move around while engaged in gear. This can cause premature tooth failure. With our A-5 Gear Kits we "reduce" the Helix Angle so that the Case is improved in strength by over 50%! The only disadvantage of reducing the helix ange is that their is some "noise" associated while the gears are Engaged/Turning. But, reducing the helix angle allows you to "widen" the tooth profile. I sell more TKO Main Cases than I do T-5's! TKO's have problems with the Ears cracking."

So, in essence, it's not a myth, but has been addressed.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info. :D

$2600 for parts sounds more affordable than changing to a TKO or T56. When I bolt on my supercharger, I suppose the next weakest link in the drivetrain will be the clutch.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]