Fordmods Logo

mini spool 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: mini spool
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: el

VIC, Australia

i know everyone says that spools are dangerous and that makes them illegal but is there any law that actually says you cant have a spool
i thought it was just for welded diffs

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: el

VIC, Australia

has anyone even been picked up or canaried for having a spool

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Yes there is a law that prohibits you from having no differential action in your car.
A spool/locker/welded is not differential action.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Spools are illegal, they will void your insurance if discovered, and after having had one in my daily driver, do not do it, i wont again, tyres dont last long, U turns are a b**ch, and low speed cornering is f**k. They can be defected provided the cops know what they have to look/listen for, and a spool is just a more consistent version of a welded diff, dont try it for a daily, i should have listened to what the guys on here said, but i didnt, and regret it, as drivability is f**k, but if it is for a dedicated race/burnout car never to be driven on the road, then do it

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Spools are illegal, they will void your insurance if discovered, and after having had one in my daily driver, do not do it, i wont again, tyres dont last long, U turns are a b**ch, and low speed cornering is f**k. They can be defected provided the cops know what they have to look/listen for, and a spool is just a more consistent version of a welded diff, dont try it for a daily, i should have listened to what the guys on here said, but i didnt, and regret it, as drivability is f**k, but if it is for a dedicated race/burnout car never to be driven on the road, then do it

Good man, least someone has come to their senses, dont try and be fully sik bro, just be normal, and practical, lifes not all LOOK AT ME, especially mr plod.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Good man, least someone has come to their senses, dont try and be fully sik bro, just be normal, and practical, lifes not all LOOK AT ME, especially mr plod.

Yep, at the most, im gunna have a LSD, but only if the car i get has one in it, gunna go for the more show than go side if things for the time being

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

is a mechanically locking diff illegal if it can unlock? ie lokka's which lock under power and unlock otherwise?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 158 rwkw

Reason most people get spools is because they can't afford a detroit locker or are too miserable and tight assed to get one! But all has been said bout spool's! Cheap, nasty on u turns and cornering, kiss ya insurance goodbye, roots ya tyres and asking to get bent over by the coppers

Nice lsd is the way to go!

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

A really tight LSD can stuff tyres too.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

jrfttf wrote:
Reason most people get spools is because they can't afford a detroit locker or are too miserable and tight assed to get one! But all has been said bout spool's! Cheap, nasty on u turns and cornering, kiss ya insurance goodbye, roots ya tyres and asking to get bent over by the coppers

Nice lsd is the way to go!

yup, i got the spool because i couldnt afford to get a detroit style locker, and after the experience, next time, i'd save the $$$ and do it properly rather than f**k around with the spool, it is a complete PITA for a streeter, maybe a race car it might be different, but street use, a spool is totally impractical

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

many of my mates either have lockers/spools or welded diffs. One has gone through 3 or 4 diff centers in the last 2 months cause he keeps blowing them up. The other mate i have has got a 3.9 locker in his VN but the VN is done up for drift spec.

DONT get a spool but look towards a nice LSD.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]