Fordmods Logo

Monroe GT Sport lowered shock absorbers 

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Monroe GT Sport lowered shock absorbers
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BF XR6 Ute

NSW, Australia

yeah, cut springs = bouncy. Different parts of the spring compress at different rates, you've probably chopped out some of the lower rate.

haven't you seen the fully hektik 200sx's getting about with cut springs? they must handle like my nanna's push frame

BF XR6 Ute,ED XR6 Manual (SOLD),XD 4V 351 toploader 9in

Zoom and Extreme magazines Production Editor

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

Dr_Hoon wrote:
yeah, cut springs = bouncy. Different parts of the spring compress at different rates, you've probably chopped out some of the lower rate.

haven't you seen the fully hektik 200sx's getting about with cut springs? they must handle like my nanna's push frame

Ha Ha Ha, Nana's push frame, i like that :D ,
yeah thats what i was thinking, ill just bite the bullet and pull it all apart again :x

Thanks for your input, it's been bugging me so bad, pregnant wife wont ride in my car, Too bumpy :lol:

Cheers
Mike

EB FAIRMONT
NEEDS BOOST !!!!!!!

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I think the EL has linear rate coils, and even if coils with a so called "progressive rate" are fitted, that is only the case if the soft part of the coil becomes compressed solid partway through the suspension's movement.

There is nothing wrong with cut coils as long as its been done properly and the resultant rate is appropriate to the height. You just need to be mindful of a number of key areas.

Another way you can assess if your coils are too strong for your shocks is to focus in on what happens after a bump, like say a speed hump or spoon drain. Its easier if you are going slowish because then you have more time to make your assessment. If the car jerks upwards after the bump, that means the coil is extending quickly without being sufficiently constrained by the shock absorber. Its not a nice feeling.

People tend to think softer shocks equal a softer ride but that is only the case up to a certain point, and in some cases it isn't the case at all.

In your case mike either you've gone too low (my guess, you should have done height measurements), the coils are too soft and you're bottoming out, or they are too stiff for your shocks (generating excess rebound speeds) and/or too stiff for your chassis (generating excess NVH).

Having just moved from an EB to an EL and having looked into some of the changes to the chassis, i can say the EL has noticeably higher rigidity and NVH suppression. The changes are worth the extra weight, in my view.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Is it possible that both pedders and ultima's are made by gabriel in america, in which case they would likely be the same except for paint job and sticker? Shocks normally have manufacturer info stamped into them.

Not sure, but I know boge and durashock parts have the same part numbers and come from the same suppliers

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:37 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

My King Superlows + Monroe GT Sport shocks combination cut out heaps of bounce.

Superlows + Standard shocks = lots of bounce for me.

I think I said this earlier but with the standard shocks and superlows the rear of the car would bounce three times when given a solid push down (when standing outside of the parked car).

New shocks cut that down to one. It only just goes past bouncing straight back.

This translates to a huge difference when going over speed bumps and road bumps. Especially at high speeds.

Also, another huge improvement is how the car feels with passengers in the back. Previously the car felt like absolute bollocks with more than 60kgs in the back of the car, especially in the boot. I hated driving people around because the car felt so horrifically s**t to drive. Now it feels fine, even with two people that would weigh about 150KG combined.

Basically, I quite like my King springs and they work well with the Monroe GT Ss

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

From memory h/d coils are typically around 30% stiffer than std, which applies to lowered, std and raised height. Super and ultra low might be around 40 to 45% stiffer, but not sure.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB FAIRMONT

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your input guys, :mrgreen:
muchly appreciated.
im just going to change them to super lows and see how she goes, hopefully better!!!

just need to save some more pennies :cry:

Cheers :P
Mike
Yella Terra

EB FAIRMONT
NEEDS BOOST !!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I've got pedders shocks & kings low's in my EB, the pedders shocks are white, i think comfort gas? I find my ride isn't too harsh & it handles fairly flat as well for the money. I also have upgraded all my bushes to poly & renewed all my bump stops, inc adding the one above the diff housing. I've put about 80k kms on my setup now & they don't feel any different than when i first fit them, which i did myself.

I have pedders red's in my Torana, which are now known as sports ryder i believe, along with pedders red springs, 40mm lower than std. The torry handled very stiff in comparison to the EB.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3