NEED HELP! ASAP Putting springs in 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: NEED HELP! ASAP Putting springs in
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: VT Calais 5L

QLD, Australia

hi all,

im justng to put in some lovelle superlow springs imto my EB, what i have done is taken off the Rear Passenger wheel, and also taken the bolt out for the shock (lower) now im stuck, what else do i have to do to remove the spring?

cheers

Cars: EB Fairmont 5spd 3.9L**sold**
VT Calais 98' 195i V8 - lux n power in 1

Bikes: 05 Honda CR250R

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XY GTHO P3

QLD, Australia

get some spring clamps

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

in the boot or behind the side bolsters of the rear seat is the top of the shock tower which will have two or three more bolts to undo as well as the one in the middle which is top of the shock. DO NOT undo this one. leave the shock done up till you get it out of car that way you don't need to try and fit spring compressors to shocks up under wheel arch. once you have it out as a unit then fit spring compressors to the spring, do them up till there firm and undo nut on top of shock. if you dont have spring compressors then some fairly heavy guage wire will do the trick if you wrap it around the 2nd top and bottom coils on each side a few times. if you do it this way then take extreme caution later when removing wire or throw old spring out with wire still on. when fitting lowered springs they should be low enough that you can get the nut back on the top of the shock without compressing the spring. an extra pair of hands doesn't go astray.
hope this helps

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

listen to prydey. the springs can come flying off and take hands, heads, etc with em if your not careful. also make sure you jack up the body of the car and not under the diff.

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

oh cool, cheers all, well i got the back ones out and got the new ones in, sits at perfect height :D now i just gotta get the front in and im done, im going to have to go out and get some spring clamps, does anyone know how much they usually set you back?

once again cheers

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i got mine from rocca's (now supercheap) for $20

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

if u ever get caught without springs clamps then you can put the strut in a doorway and use a scissor jack to crush it up...it not recommended but it works :D

note: undo-ing struts is nothing...they kick about 5cm

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

you shouldnt need compressors for the rear the shock just dropps out rears are a peice of piss to do, the fronts are a little harder to do and you will need spring compressors i thought there wasnt much resistance on the first one when i took the top nut off with spring compressors only slightly tightened. the so i pulled the top nut off the secont strut without compressing the springs. all im gonna say is ouch. make sure you have all teh right tools and it should be fairly easy

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well i ended up getting the rears in, the driver side spring was being a bit of a b**ch but eventually got it out, i havn't tryed to get the front ones out yet untill i do get some compressors, also i know its wise to run short travel shockies when you put superlows in...but how badly its it needed, like could you still cruise around without much of a problem with bottoming out and having to put up with a bumpy ride.

cheers all

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]