Fordmods Logo

Need major help - Just one problem after another . . . 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Need major help - Just one problem after another . . .
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Gday everyone

Some of you may know the problems ive been having with my 95 EF Fairmont 5.0ltr - for those that dont and are interested or if it may be any help to this thread - here is the thread I had with the car no running . . .

ford-v8-f2/95-ef-fairmont-wont-start-all-out-of-ideas-t88731.html

Ok so I bought the car with a stuffed gearbox - I bought a 'box from a wreckers in campbellfeild that was out of an EL XR8 with an apparent 177xxxkms on it.

Now Ive got the car running but it was running rough as guts - so I changed a few of the ignition parts - dizzy, leads ect. Had it running perfectly, as it should, with the stuffed gearbox in it. So anyway got it up on the ramps last night and put the new gearbox in and for some retarded reason, the car wont engage gears properly and the revs are sitting at around 1600rpm on idle, and when it does engage a gear it still sits at around 1100rpm and wont go above 20km/h.

At one stage I had it up to about 60km/h but its gone back to doing the same thing as before - taking ages to select a gear, revs sitting way too high, and barley moving but sometimes driving like it should.

Everything that we took out, went back in the way it should have. Its got me absolutly f**k!!

Hopefully someone can help me out and shed some light on what could possibly have gone wrong.

Cheers
Grant

Post subject: Re: Need major help - Just one problem after another . . .
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford EF - Garret TO4Z

TAS, Australia

limp home mode???

torqe converter screwd ???

im not the best person to ask atm, but meh , its where id start looking

Crank Assembly balanced, HV oil pump, ACL Trimetal bearings, "1 extra oil clearance taking to around 0.0650-0.0700 on mains and big ends, Moly rings,, Xr6 Cam, POD ( Possibly oversize injectors), Block, Head, Timing cover, belt idler, Alternator,painted in ford light blue

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

try swapping out the TCM or ECU. Check both for fault codes.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:06 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Cheers guys - i realised i havnt tried letting the ECU remap itself with the new box so I might do that first . . . then i might try doing other things like checking fault codes and new converter ect - on the other hand I REALLY dont wanna spend any more cash on it if I dont have to - so I'll try and go through all the other things first . . .

*sigh* pain in the a** its been :(

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ok so I got the excessive revving sorted - it was the cruise cable . . . But Ill get that fixed another time.

The gearbox is still f**k up - drives semi normally now - had it driving ok before I dissconnected the cruise and was still revving hard, except for smashing into gears and slipping alot. Then once the cruise was disconnected it was driving pretty well - still a bit of slip but not as much - then all of a sudden the speedo dropped out and the box is slipping and hesatating to engage again and its got no power - it revs freely as it should but doesnt put that power down through the driveline . . . Theres no accelaration around corners and takes ages to get into drive. There is a slight whine when I put the selector into 1st and a slight whine in reverse . . .

Ive tried topping up the oil but its full and tried reseting the ECU twice (which made it a bit better - not alot though).
The 2 things we forgot when we put the box in was changing the oil in the converter and the transmission oil filter . . . so now the new oil is a dark reddy brown color instead of bright red but Im hoping that that was because we didnt change the filter or convertor oil.

Im thinking that maybe my best bet now is to take it to a transmission place and have the auto serviced and hopfully it will sort it all out? Are the bands in the BTR's adjustable? Ive been told 2 differant answers - they are and they arnt :shock: . . . Is someone able to clarify for me? And before I get a quote on monday how much would I roughly be looking at to get it serviced?

Sorry for the long post guys :roll:

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
Ok so I got the excessive revving sorted - it was the cruise cable . . . But Ill get that fixed another time.

The gearbox is still f**k up - drives semi normally now - had it driving ok before I dissconnected the cruise and was still revving hard, except for smashing into gears and slipping alot. Then once the cruise was disconnected it was driving pretty well - still a bit of slip but not as much - then all of a sudden the speedo dropped out and the box is slipping and hesatating to engage again and its got no power - it revs freely as it should but doesnt put that power down through the driveline . . . Theres no accelaration around corners and takes ages to get into drive. There is a slight whine when I put the selector into 1st and a slight whine in reverse . . .

Ive tried topping up the oil but its full and tried reseting the ECU twice (which made it a bit better - not alot though).
The 2 things we forgot when we put the box in was changing the oil in the converter and the transmission oil filter . . . so now the new oil is a dark reddy brown color instead of bright red but Im hoping that that was because we didnt change the filter or convertor oil.

Im thinking that maybe my best bet now is to take it to a transmission place and have the auto serviced and hopfully it will sort it all out? Are the bands in the BTR's adjustable? Ive been told 2 differant answers - they are and they arnt :shock: . . . Is someone able to clarify for me? And before I get a quote on monday how much would I roughly be looking at to get it serviced?

Sorry for the long post guys :roll:

Cheers
Grant

get someone to have a look at the speed sender. if it has fried itself, than the speedo wont be getting anything then the ecu wont be getting anything either so without the ecu recieving anything, it will be in 3rd all the time (limp home mode) untill you can get it fixed.

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:04 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

tony.martin11 wrote:
get someone to have a look at the speed sender. if it has fried itself, than the speedo wont be getting anything then the ecu wont be getting anything either so without the ecu recieving anything, it will be in 3rd all the time (limp home mode) untill you can get it fixed.

Cheers for ya reply mate - yeah im gunna probably get another speed sensor . . . but even before the speedo dropped out there still wasnt something right with the gearbox . . . :x

Is there anything else that Im able to do after fixing the speedo issue to get the gearbox running right before I book it in at the transmission joint - I know my way around the car a little now compared to when I first got the 8 . . . Would anything from here be beyond my knowlegde? Im guessing it would be :oops: :evil:

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah. If you know where it is then it is possible to take it off (on top of the transmission drivers side towards the end) and check the gear and all. if it looks a little black, you need a new one (unless you dont mind having a defective car)

Hope This Helps too.

Tony Martin

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:44 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah I prefer knowing how fast im going - with kids i dont wanna risk it. I think I might just get the transmission place do it for me when they service the auto - ive been working on it for a couple of weeks now I just want it bvack on the road so im not gonna stuff around more having a stab in the dark at what it is . . . Cheers for all the help anyway everyone :)

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

if you even have one of those small uniden gps-500 that only show the speed, they are still good if you badly need one (k-mart was still selling them last time i checked)

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Its not that urgent to get the EF going - I just want it on the road coz ive had it for 4 months now, just sitting in the shed . . . Ive got till may 12 at worst case scenario but at best Ive got till june . . . Then the EB comes off the road to be wrecked out . . .

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

has the eb by any chance got the power windows? and could i have them when they do come out?

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Its only a fairmont - not a ghia so they wernt standard but I had an ea ghia that I smashed so Ive put the drivers power window in but didnt get around to doing the others - i may have the back 2 and the front passager was the side that got f**k up so its buggered - When I do wreck it out ill see if I can find the other back 2 if ya want and Ill PM you to see if ya still want em . . .

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i6_demon wrote:
Its only a fairmont - not a ghia so they wernt standard but I had an ea ghia that I smashed so Ive put the drivers power window in but didnt get around to doing the others - i may have the back 2 and the front passager was the side that got f**k up so its buggered - When I do wreck it out ill see if I can find the other back 2 if ya want and Ill PM you to see if ya still want em . . .

Cheers
Grant

ohk then. just let us know cause ill probs still want them

BANNED USER

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]