New brakes upgrade 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: New brakes upgrade
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hi all, very soon i am upgrading my braking system. I have decided to get DBA slotted and x drilled rotors. And EBC redstuff pads.

But just a few questions, the people installing the gear said that i should put a softer pad like Protek pads as they wont warp the rotors as much as a harder pad (such as the redsuffs).

Obviosuly thiers the downside to that.. They also said that mabe Ferrodo pads might be good also..

So what do you guys think? The redstuff pads are $100 more than the Proteks but the redstuffs are a ceramic brake pad so obviously the performance is far greater, but if they warp my rotors out quicker u cant get them machined can you.. so would it pay just to get the softer pads?

Thanks

Andrew

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Post subject: Re: New brakes upgrade
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

my brother inlaw has just his dba gold, x drilled/slotted's machined without a drama. he is running ferodo pads but doesnt give it a hard time

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Are you getting the expensive dba cross drilled rotors or the normal ones?

The cross drilled rotors will warp easier than the slotted ones. The more expensive rotors (gold/4000 series) use a different heat treatment which helps to reduce this. For a street car running stock size brakes I would recommend just sticking with slotted as there is less chance of warping.

In the end if you intend to do any serious braking you will will inevitably warp rotors quickly on the stock sized rotor/caliper brakes, regardless of the rotor.

As far as pads go I would go with the softer pad.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

I use Ferrodo Exel's and have never warped a rotor. I don't run DBA rotors though. I know plenty of people who use Bendix pads and have warped DBA's. I am personally not a fan of DBA rotors.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The 4000 series were the ones im looking at but i might go for just the normal type but slotted only.. However sometime early next year i will be supercharging the XR so thats why i was looking at the ceramic redstuff brake pads as well..

I might just see what other type of brakes they can get for me as im not too keen for protek ones.

80-90% of my driving is all short trips around town. so i dont exactly go out onto the open road and *drive* the car all that much as id like too :twisted:

Well ive got a couple more weeks till i get it, so i will do a bit more research i think.

Thanks for the replies so far. :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Mont 2000

WA, Australia

depending on the car you drive, go with bendix ultimate, i've never had any problems with it. i just installed a set of 4 yesterday, now the car is braking like a charm, no noise or squeal and very smooth...

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Bendix ulimate are good except for the constant cleaning of your wheels, the brake dust is terrible.

on another note,

If you haven't bought the x drilled and slotted yet... don't. They crack!
Mine developed slight cracks near all the cross drills and eventually cracked right through! Just get the slotted, i went to slotted after this, and have not had a problem since.

Im not a big fan of dba, i have heard/had to many problems. I might go with rda next time.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Mont 2000

WA, Australia

FLASH wrote:
Bendix ulimate are good except for the constant cleaning of your wheels, the brake dust is terrible.

on another note,

If you haven't bought the x drilled and slotted yet... don't. They crack!
Mine developed slight cracks near all the cross drills and eventually cracked right through! Just get the slotted, i went to slotted after this, and have not had a problem since.

Im not a big fan of dba, i have heard/had to many problems. I might go with rda next time.

i totally agree with you on this one, cross drilled ones crack like a drugdealer.
by the way which pads have you found have the least brake dust? yet still perform just as well as Bendix? any suggestions cheers

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I got DBA 4000 wiper slotted on mine with DBA greenstuff, they do work awesome but i go through pads every 13-15,000k's. If you wanna spend a bit extra i would get the big brake kit for your car with the 2 pot calipers and 330mm rotor, im saving for it at the moment. Should work good and will look nice.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool thanks for the heads up i may just go for slotted rotors, with a softer type pad. Should still do the job okay.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

EBC redstuff pads are more track oriented and won't have good cold bite. They will work perform their best once they are up to their designed operating temperature.
Bendix ultimates are somewhat abrasive against disc rotors but work well.
I have DBA 4000 series slotted rotors and -
* I have run EBC greenstuff pads and would happily recommend them.
* I am currently running a set of Ferodo race pads ( DB1108FF ) and they work better than I expected for just street performance braking.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah i was thinking either greenstuff or a Ferodo pad, the place thats installing it can get ferodo's so i might just go with them for now..

Cheers peeps.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
* I am currently running a set of Ferodo race pads ( DB1108FF ) and they work better than I expected for just street performance braking.

yeah I just whacked a set of Formulas in the F6, I'm pretty happy with them.
Not sure how they would feel on E-Series, but I've found the pedal is a bit wooden when they are dead cold, but once they've got some heat they feel really good and have excellent bite.
They aren't dusty either.

I've had Bendix Ultimates on all my E-Series and they've been great, but very dusty.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ive decided im going to go with the following, getting quotes done up to get it all installed this week.

Front and back rotors will be DBA 4000 series Slotted only, with Ferodo Zero or Excel pads getting quotes on the different pads. But these pads seem to be what im looking for, both respond well for harder driving and dont require to much heat to work properly and they also have a low dust rating.

If my car wasnt a daily driver id go the EBC redstuff but considering i drive the car nearly everyday and its alot of stop start driving, these should be fine.

Will let you know how much its gonna cost, just to see whether im gettin ripped or not.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

As u said u want it for daily driving i would waste money on DBA 4000 rotors unless u want 2 as there better quality and are made with a better metal.

Ive used DBA standard slotted series with Bendix Ultimate pads and they were great

Also i would consider braided lines and better brake fluid

Call these guys and speak to CAM and say ur from this forum as he used to be a sponcer and gives good prices. I buy my stuff from him and it gets delivered to my door and save basically $100.00

http://www.hightekbrakes.com.au/

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next