New Rotors/Pads 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: New Rotors/Pads
Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

Hi guys,

I finally got off my a*** and upgraded the front brakes today. Got a set of DBA slotted rotors for the front and some Bendix Ultra-Premium Pads (Ive never heard of them and they aren't on the site)

When I did the pads I pushed the piston back into the caliper with a clamp as far as it would go. Now I know with new rotors AND pads it would be a snug fit but I wouldn't think I would have to force the caliper back over the disc.

There is now a bit of drag when driving...to the point that say at 80kmh the car would do approx 1500rpm and now at the same rpm it only does 60. Is this normal? Will it wear out without ruining the new rotors? They get hot really quick. I didn't properly bed them in because the pads have a titanium strip and therefore supposedly don't need bedding in. I have a spongy pedal but I'm assuming this means I need to bleed them.

Thanks for any assistance

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

did you bleed the brakes? was the cover off of the brake fluid reservoir when you pushed the piston back?

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

you shouldnt of have to force them on,the piston should go right back into the caliper, spongy pedal means you have air in the lines,they need to be bled,

so bleed the brakes see how it is,if it still feels like its grabing you will have to pull the calipers back off and make sure the pads are sitting in properly!!:)

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

I pulled the calipers of again and pushed the pistons back as far as they would go. The pads weren't seating properly (squarely) so after pushing the cylinders back I put it the calipers and pads back on and there was no drag until I tightened the caliper mounting bolts up which makes me think the discs aren't on properly. (because when all bolted up i can move the inner pad back and forth a bit whereas the outer pad is tight against the dics.) Does this mean I haven't tightened the rotor retaining nut tight enough? My torque wrench is broken so I just did it up until it was about three turns past contact then back a bit and forward a tad. I think I might have to pull it apart again and check that the disc retaining nut is on properly. With the disc all done up and the caliper off, there is no sideways movement of the disc at all, only rotational so I don't think tightening the retaining nut will help.

Thanks for the help guys and I hope this makes sense.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

XHII V8S wrote:
I pulled the calipers of again and pushed the pistons back as far as they would go. The pads weren't seating properly (squarely) so after pushing the cylinders back I put it the calipers and pads back on and there was no drag until I tightened the caliper mounting bolts up which makes me think the discs aren't on properly. (because when all bolted up i can move the inner pad back and forth a bit whereas the outer pad is tight against the dics.) Does this mean I haven't tightened the rotor retaining nut tight enough? My torque wrench is broken so I just did it up until it was about three turns past contact then back a bit and forward a tad. I think I might have to pull it apart again and check that the disc retaining nut is on properly. With the disc all done up and the caliper off, there is no sideways movement of the disc at all, only rotational so I don't think tightening the retaining nut will help.

sounds to me like the calipers are siezed up,they have the two posts which are supposed to move freely,they might need a overhaul,the discs sound like they are on properly just make sure they have no sideways float,hope this helps good luck

stephen :D

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

xbgt2dr wrote:
XHII V8S wrote:

sounds to me like the calipers are siezed up,they have the two posts which are supposed to move freely,they might need a overhaul,the discs sound like they are on properly just make sure they have no sideways float,hope this helps good luck

stephen :D

Strangely the falcon calipers only have one movable post. After about a week or two they bedded in and the drag has gone. They are absolutely awesome...definetely worth it IMO. All up the upgrade cost $400 and did all the work myself. The spongy pedal has gone too but I will bleed the brakes as a service item anyway. Very happy!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]