New to lowering. Help! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: New to lowering. Help!
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Hey guys.

I've searched around the site but can't seem to find what I am after.

I bought a set of 18" BA XR8 rims, and am wondering what needs to be done to lower to super lows.

The rims are 8 inch wide, and I want to lower it to superlows. Can people tell me what needs to be done? Guard rolling, camber kits, etc, etc.

I am new to this sort of stuff. Help!

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Can't imagine you will have problems with the lips.
My ba was super ultra mega low esp on the rear (plod said too low :evil: ) rolling on 19*8s with 245.35 tyres and scrubbing on guards wasn't an issue.
Just be careful how low you go cos the measurements the gestapo have got don't give you much to play with. It's something like 3 to 10mm lower than standard unladen xr and you are illegally low in the book that matters. [/b]

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

I just rolled my Gaurds and put ultra lows on, didnt need a camber kit.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Molloy wrote:

Would love to see your alignment specs....

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

MadMatt wrote:
Molloy wrote:

Would love to see your alignment specs....

Lol, yeah me too, but it dont matter bro, looks sik maate, how are your tyres going? gotta be scrubbing, be honest now, can you go over speed bumps, I just can and i have only lows. Can you go in shopping centre carparks? not picking on you, just trying to point out that there needs to be some practicality in these lowering issues, fair enough if your willing not to go places, scrub out tyres and scrape the underside.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lol yeah im confined to my drive way until I rebuild it so I can get out lol :P

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:03 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

my ef is superlow with 17 by 8 inches and they where scraping, had them rolled and now 99% better,ba rims are they in the e series offset though??? or you might be scraping on the inside not the outside, generally if you dont fit shim kit youll have about neg 2 degrees camber, beauty of shim kits you can get cambers to about one and a half degrees neg and dial some more caster into it,better stability at higher speed,

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Molloy wrote:

What is involved in guard rolling? And what do camber kits do, as well as how hard are they to install? Just want to know in case I decide to go ultra lows.

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Theres a lip just under ur gaurds they will press is back flat its a simple job,
The rears simply unbolt shock and it falls out compress spring remove then repeat but in reverse,
The fronts are just unbolt the shock at the bottom and the top, Undo the upper ball joint then slide it up. A lil force will be needed on the bottom cross member for room.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mista_lroy wrote:
my ef is superlow with 17 by 8 inches and they where scraping, had them rolled and now 99% better,ba rims are they in the e series offset though??? or you might be scraping on the inside not the outside, generally if you dont fit shim kit youll have about neg 2 degrees camber, beauty of shim kits you can get cambers to about one and a half degrees neg and dial some more caster into it,better stability at higher speed,

Yeah, they are in the pre-AU offset. Does this mean it will scrape on the inside? If that is the case, what do I need to do?

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:17 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

if in pre au offset no probs,if they where original ba rims they would sit inwards and your track would be out,its all good though mate just get your guards rolled,shouldnt cost over $100 to be done professionaly from a reputable tyre store,i paid $60 but was mates rates

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mista_lroy wrote:
if in pre au offset no probs,if they where original ba rims they would sit inwards and your track would be out,its all good though mate just get your guards rolled,shouldnt cost over $100 to be done professionaly from a reputable tyre store,i paid $60 but was mates rates

So if I get my guards rolled, that would be all I would have to do to enable my car to be dropped to superlows? Obviously new shocks, springs, but would that be all I would need?

RIP Chelsea
bmICE

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:06 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

its all i needed, the other guy is right maybe a camber kit if you dont wanna chew your tyres out as the bigger they are the faster they wear out,your gonna get it aligned after you do the work no doubt so youl know then if theres any probs,i dont really care about wheel alignments or tyres as thats my job so free wheel alignments for me and i get the pick on all the good secondhand tyres that come in,one day im gonna chuck on a set of the new bridgestone adrenalins potenzas,cheapish and grerat tyres bla bla bla i dribble so much s**t

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

mista_lroy wrote:
its all i needed, the other guy is right maybe a camber kit if you dont wanna chew your tyres out as the bigger they are the faster they wear out,your gonna get it aligned after you do the work no doubt so youl know then if theres any probs,i dont really care about wheel alignments or tyres as thats my job so free wheel alignments for me and i get the pick on all the good secondhand tyres that come in,one day im gonna chuck on a set of the new bridgestone adrenalins potenzas,cheapish and grerat tyres bla bla bla i dribble so much s**t

So your in the tyre business? Have you used or fitted the new Nolathane worm type camber/castor kits. I just bought a set and yet to fit them. I currently have the shim type on and cant get the adjustment required out of them. The Nolathane worm type kits look pretty solid (hard to see that in pic)

Attachments:
Nolathane Worm CC kit.jpg
Nolathane Worm CC kit.jpg [ 20.09 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:17 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1997 EL falcon

SA, Australia

i had a few mates that cut their springs to get it lower.. i have no idea if thats bad for it!..

but im thinking of geting my car profesionaly lowered.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next