Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

[quote="unclewoja"][quote="

Good tyres DO reduce stopping distances
Good brakes DO reduce stopping distances
Correct tyre pressure DO reduce stopping distances
Fatter tyres DO reduce stopping distances

basicaly "unclewoja" your full of s**t. Of all of your post, this is all any one is goin to read and rember and not corectly right. The first 3 quotes are correct but the last is wrong. fatter tyres while having a wider foot print also have a very short foot print in regard to length of tread contact on the road. Now while this enhances cornering ability in the dry it also disables stopping ability for the same, predominatley in the wet as the wider tread is more prone to aquaplane than a narrower tyre. I'll further this by saying to look at the standards for the V8 super cars and how they handel between wet and dry conditians. All the V8 super car teams race on a controlled tyre size for a reason and they are relevent road conditions that are encountered on the streets. Rubber on the road in the dry means good grip but but getting rid of water in the wet is paramount.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Mini Cooper S Supercharged

NSW, Australia

And thats where Nakangs Excell. Running the Yokohama tread patterns allows for great water dispersion. When I was running the C-Drives, I used to be able to boot it in the wet and get minimal loss of traction but that was also due to a nice soft compound. I have allways found that tread patters can make a big difference to many things such as road noise, wet/dry driving, and the amount of grip the tyre has! The best way to find out what your after is trial and error. Buy a set, and when they wear out, try a different set, and If you like the first ones you bought, go with them. Also, there are some great reviews out there. Take that sort of advice into consideration!

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

wadesta_1986 wrote:
And thats where Nakangs Excell. Running the Yokohama tread patterns allows for great water dispersion. When I was running the C-Drives, I used to be able to boot it in the wet and get minimal loss of traction but that was also due to a nice soft compound. I have allways found that tread patters can make a big difference to many things such as road noise, wet/dry driving, and the amount of grip the tyre has! The best way to find out what your after is trial and error. Buy a set, and when they wear out, try a different set, and If you like the first ones you bought, go with them. Also, there are some great reviews out there. Take that sort of advice into consideration!

Couldn"t agree more at the end of the day you get what you pay for it's your choise. Theres lots of good for value money tyres on the market just be smart as to what your life rides on.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i had wanlis on the car that i rolled... cheap s**t. will never buy em again..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I got a nice set of toyo proxie ra01's in 225/50/15.. damn nice track tyre.. but would last about 2 weeks on the roads.. @$250 a tyre these are hot.. BUT they have just bumped the tread wear from 40 upto 100!!! I'll let you know bout the next set though..

but c.drives on my road car is MY choice..

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:18 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

They're f**k noisy, screech and frigging dangerous. They should be illegal and companies like Wanli should be shut down.

My car had absolutely no traction in the wet with Wanlis (17x8s) with about 80+% tread. I got rid of them and forked out that little bit extra $$$$ for something that won't put my life at risk everytime I drive my car.

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

I will admit that on the newy cruise pulling out of the dam, under barely any throttle the car was spinning the wheel (good ol single spinner), but once it found dry road the car took off. So far had no problems in the wet, but then again if the roads are greasy then any tyre will experience loss of traction.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TwinturboBMX wrote:
I will admit that on the newy cruise pulling out of the dam, under barely any throttle the car was spinning the wheel (good ol single spinner), but once it found dry road the car took off. So far had no problems in the wet, but then again if the roads are greasy then any tyre will experience loss of traction.

Not Really What Ya Want! :P............... Or Is It???

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ohh i can tell you it was kinda boring not a big smoke show from it. Then haggis pulled out and showed even bennys lane up.
But yeah also found this morning on my way to work that if i put my foot down the wheels will spin up to like 50 in the wet, on a road which is quite rocky. not exactly a smooth road, didnt realise it didnt have grip till it revved out a bit and started stepping sideways (was barely awake as it was 230 in the morning.)

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My XR used to do that on Yokies! Back her off and she was good again! You really had to feed it up to her to get her to do it!

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Lets just say that i get to work faster at 230am then i do at 9am. :wink:
And yeah had a look at the road in the morning and there was a minature oilk patch comming into the road i came out of, dunno if i caught any of that and thats what contributed to it losing traction at that speed. Kinda caught my attention, my foot was thinking push harder my brain was thinking, hang on arent i going a little sideways here.

Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:45 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF GLi 5-spd & BA 'mont

NSW, Australia

ive got wanli's on mine. I went from dunlop sp3000A to wanli's and did notice a slight decrease in performance, but im happy considering theyre half the price.

Sig pic removed, refer to http://www.fordmods.com/forums/signatur ... 29751.html

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Found out this morning that at times these tyres can get very hairy when the roads are greasy. Was a mini oil spill comming up to a round a bout and the back end started getting twitchy under brakes (lack of ABS will do that), another early morning event, surely woke me up as there were cars comming.

Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Doesn't matter what tyres you have when it comes to oil on the road it might as well be ice. The tyres you buy are your choise but I do recomend that money should not be spent on the cheapest s**t you can find. The larger companies spend millions of dollars every year on research for a reason. simply put use your head and not your wallet theres a lot of tyres on the market that arn't that much dearer than the likes of wang lei and more than competetive with the likes of bridgestone or yokohama.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3