Fordmods Logo

No indication of faulty brake peddle switch ? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: No indication of faulty brake peddle switch ?
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:04 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

I have an EF GLi that i have been adding little mods like cruise control, trip computor, preparing for fog lamp, low washer, low coolant waring lights.

Now i have been very careful with all wiring and it has been done to factory quality and all functions have been well tested.

But today, someone almost ran into the back of me :( Seems the brake lights stopped working which seems to be a known issue with EF's. As such, i checked the brake peddle switch and it was electrically OK but the metal plate that the peddle presses against was a little curved and wouldn't engage the switch. Once bending it the other way it works rather well.

The brake warning lamp (under handbrake warning lamp) is for pressure differential warning and indicated a hydrolic problems.

Does the EF warn the drive if the brake lights don't work when the peddle is pressed ? How is this warning presented ?

Cheers.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

no it doesn't! The only way you will know is if you notice your brakes lights are not working or someone tells you ... OR you have cruise and it won't disengage when you tap the brakes!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:33 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
no it doesn't! The only way you will know is if you notice your brakes lights are not working or someone tells you ... OR you have cruise and it won't disengage when you tap the brakes!

I have cruise and it does disengage due to the brake master cylinder pressure switch. However, you will notice a small surge as the motor fights the braking but it's not always so apparent.

I just can't believe that Ford has produced a car that gives no indication that all three brake lights don't work and sold it with a f**k brake peddel switch that has been known to fail at less than 50,000kms.

Really, these EF's should have been recalled and this issue fixed - it's just not good enough when an old layland marina i owned would warn you of a failed brake glode. Why couldn't ford do this :?

Cheers.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:29 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Really, these EF's should have been recalled and this issue fixed
Not a lot we can do about this Paul. Maybe this could be the basis of another Fordmods mod - I suppose a simple fix could be to wire a warning globe between the power sides of the brake pedal s/w, and the cruise control pressure s/w - if either s/w fails, the light comes on when the pedal is depressed, the light is acting as a voltage differential. The light could go into one of the spare holders in the inst. cluster. This method does have a few disadvantages:- Can't be installed in non factory cruise models, and if both brake and cruise press. s/w's fail, the light won't illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed. Anyway, this should get you thinking . . . :idea:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

if you did a wee search you would find Ford released a heavy duty brake switch, especially for taxi's. Go and get one of them and your problems will stop. Quit the whinging!

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Happy wrote:
if you did a wee search you would find Ford released a heavy duty brake switch, especially for taxi's. Go and get one of them and your problems will stop. Quit the whinging!

I didn't know Ford had released a heavy duty brake switch. Interesting.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

don't get the repco $10 job wither, as it will not last even 5000km.
the ford switch we use in the taxi cost us $40 taxi price, and has lasted more 100k kms no issues of yet.
didn't know there was a heavy duty switch.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Happy wrote:

I have cruise and it does disengage due to the brake master cylinder pressure switch. However, you will notice a small surge as the motor fights the braking but it's not always so apparent.

I just can't believe that Ford has produced a car that gives no indication that all three brake lights don't work and sold it with a f**k brake peddel switch that has been known to fail at less than 50,000kms.

Really, these EF's should have been recalled and this issue fixed - it's just not good enough when an old layland marina i owned would warn you of a failed brake glode. Why couldn't ford do this :?

Cheers.

Seriously you could probably count on one hand the number of cars that have a brake lamp out warning curcuit. I good idea I agree, just most manufacturers don't bother.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I have replaced many brake switches in my current EF and my previous EF Fairmont. I think that towing has got something to do with there short life. Each one has failed with resistive contacts. To overcome this problem I recently installed a relay in the brake line to take the electrical load from the switch. It is mounted under the dash near the pedal and has the big advantage that you can hear a click every time the pedal is pressed so I have confirmation the brake switch is workin.
Chers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Last edited by twase on Tue May 17, 2005 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
I have replaced many brake switches in my current EF and my previous EF Fairmont. I think that towing has got something to do with there short life so recently I installed a relay in the brake line to take the electrical load from the switch. It is mounted under the dash near the pedal and has the big advantage that you can hear a click every time the pedal is pressed so I have confirmation the brake switch is workin.
Chers
TW.

I'm confused, explain how towing has an effect on the switches life?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Happy wrote:
twason wrote:
I have replaced many brake switches in my current EF and my previous EF Fairmont. I think that towing has got something to do with there short life so recently I installed a relay in the brake line to take the electrical load from the switch. It is mounted under the dash near the pedal and has the big advantage that you can hear a click every time the pedal is pressed so I have confirmation the brake switch is workin.
Chers
TW.

Simply there are more bulbs on the brake circuit drawing current when the Van or Trailer are pluged in. Each 15 watt globe is adding an additional 1.25 amps.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:

Did lots of searching but found no referance to a heavy duty brake switch - why didn't Ford install this in the first place, or at the very least superceed the pissy part and only sell the heavy duty item through spare parts ?

And as for whining, wonder how you would feel if you ran into the back of another ford because there were no brake lights on cause the switch was stuffed. After paying your excess, guess you would sound like a stuck pig :lol: Wonder what you would then be saying if insurance knock you back because of the mods to your car - maybe you would sound like a failing turbo :lol:

snap0964 wrote:
Not a lot we can do about this Paul. Maybe this could be the basis of another Fordmods mod - I suppose a simple fix could be to wire a warning globe between the power sides of the brake pedal s/w, and the cruise control pressure s/w...

Already thought of doing such a warning lamp mod using above principles :D

cheers.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

twason wrote:
Happy wrote:
twason wrote:
Chers
TW.

Simply there are more bulbs on the brake circuit drawing current when the Van or Trailer are pluged in. Each 15 watt globe is adding an additional 1.25 amps.

but the switch fails because it looses it's "springyness" (i know:P) over time, that is why Ford made a heavy duty one, with a heavier tensile spring to last longer. It has nothing to do with the amount of towing you do. I went through two regular ones until I found out there was a "taxi" version and I never towed anything in my life.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Happy wrote:

Did lots of searching but found no referance to a heavy duty brake switch - why didn't Ford install this in the first place, or at the very least superceed the pissy part and only sell the heavy duty item through spare parts ?
I too did a search after I posted that and it must have been FM1 where it was posted, I was quite surprised there was little mention of it on FM2. Sorry about that! :P

ItchiOne wrote:
And as for whining, wonder how you would feel if you ran into the back of another ford because there were no brake lights on cause the switch was stuffed. After paying your excess, guess you would sound like a stuck pig :lol: Wonder what you would then be saying if insurance knock you back because of the mods to your car - maybe you would sound like a failing turbo :lol:
Faulty brake lights or not you should always make a habit of giving the person behind you plenty of room by having space in front incase things like this happen. Them rear ending you results in them being at fault - not you!
ItchiOne wrote:
snap0964 wrote:
Not a lot we can do about this Paul. Maybe this could be the basis of another Fordmods mod - I suppose a simple fix could be to wire a warning globe between the power sides of the brake pedal s/w, and the cruise control pressure s/w...

Already thought of doing such a warning lamp mod using above principles :D

cheers.

If you could incorporate it into the cluster and make it look neat - I think it would be a good idea!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next