Fordmods Logo

pedders shocks 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: pedders shocks
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

has anybody used the short pedders comfort gas shock with ultralow king springs
the guy at pedders said that there shocks were the shortest you could get but my rear springs are still not trapped

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

i am having the same issue with my rears as all companys shocks are labeled as same part for lowered or standard for both front and rears. Doesnt seem right to me.
When lowering my FE LTD i went in to a parts distributor and sat down with all thier catalogs and found a front strut with the same mounting surfaces as suits my application (ie -|=) with the same load ratings but was around 22mm i think shorter than the lowest shock indexed by any company to suit the LTD.
This means it was to suit camry/magna/valiant/some other foriegn make, I cant remember which one it was but it has helped alot to prevent shocks bottoming out. the strut was also about 10mm in diameter thicker and a thicker shaft so makes for alot better compression.
As for the rears i have had no such luck finding a better item to suit than a low gabriel ( -|o ) as recommended in the catalog but am contemplating modding the top mounting cup that protrudes into the boot space to lengthen the distance between the bolt positions of the shock thus squashing the spring enough to ensure that the dont become "unseated" when she is airborn and stuff :)
Personally i dont take anything that is spoken by a salesperson whether they be from pedders or anywhere else to be reliable, I was told the same thing by nearly all companies ( "Ours are the lowest u will find anywhere" )and the only one that could prove it was Koni after u adjusted them to a low enough length. But they were priced at 1 corner for the same price as all 4 corners of everyone elses

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

i was thinking of making a spacer for the mounting bit in the boot but didn't know where to start
might need to have another look

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

blue_falcon wrote:
i was thinking of making a spacer for the mounting bit in the boot but didn't know where to start
might need to have another look

Yeah i had the spacer idea too but i was also thinking of getting a second pair and cutting them apart to insert more length into the cup. me thinks with a welder and a few grinding discs this would be the easier way as u would have to some how extend the bolts protruding in thru the floor pan which may weaken the overall mount, dont like this idea too much, especially on some thing that takes some huges hits with a tonne and a half landing on it

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]