Post subject: Re: Premium Rubber!
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL XR8

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
ALIENATE wrote:
At the moment I am looking at getting some Semi-slicks for the back of my XR8. The Dunlop Direzza keeps winning awards but I'm having trouble getting a listing of the sizes the come in.

No offence (I checked your build link in your sig), but why? You're not making anywhere near enough power or torque to need semi's. All you'll do is have more grip than you can use (maybe too much, hello broken axles, gearbox?), and wear them out quickly, while paying top dollar (although I guess you can get them cheaper than most).

Anyway, as for semi's.

I use either the Toyo R888, or Yoko A050. Heard the Khumo KU36 are a good compromise between street longevity and some extra grip, as are the Federal 595RSR's. Although I've no experience with the last two.

Its more just cause I can. hahaha Already popped a Diff but it was pretty ordinary before anyway. Plus I don't drive it all that often. Have a company ute ATM.

I know the Yoko are good been a BMW with them on was pretty impressive. I don't know much about the Toyos but I should be fitting a set of those Fedrals to a XR6T making some good power. Hopefully that will be in the coming month so I'll post how they go.

Hey data_mine you know you can fit a set of 285's in your rear guards!! A friend from my ford club runs a set of 285/30R19 on her BA. So you should be able to fit something similar to yours if you ever wanted to.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:29 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

ALIENATE wrote:
Hey data_mine you know you can fit a set of 285's in your rear guards!! A friend from my ford club runs a set of 285/30R19 on her BA. So you should be able to fit something similar to yours if you ever wanted to.

Yeah, and with some guard rolling, you can go wider too.

But I've got track wheels with the 888's, and drag wheels with some dunlops (will go MT ET's when these wear out), so for road duties, the factory wheels* and 245's are fine - heck I used to race on them they'd be fine until they overheated and went slippery.

*I've yet to find an after market wheel I actually like (and will clear the brakes) enough to bother changing.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Another vote for the Maxxis mentioned by data_mine. I have them in 245/45/18 on the front - theyre a very decent tyre, they grip very well in the wet and dry and the wear rate is quite acceptable.
If your argument to not use them is that they arent a big brand like Dunlop etc etc, then lol!!
The Dunlop SP3000A (or whatever they are) fitted from factory to BA XRs are one of the s**t tyres you could possibly find!

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Agreed on the Dunlops. They were also factory fitted on our AU XR optioned with the 17s. The noise they made was unreal, definitely not what you would expect for the money. Can't comment on grip as the missus normally drives it. They didn't last very long from memory

We have Toyo Proxes 4's on it now, much nicer. Seem to grip reasonably well, and much quieter too. They were also cheaper.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Yeah have been in a BA with SP3000A and I found it a pretty scary experience in the wet.

I'm thinking I'll give the bridgestones a run, as haven't found anywhere able to/willing to get in Falken's at a decent price.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:34 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

skidder wrote:
haven't found anywhere able to/willing to get in Falken's at a decent price.

Got mine from a Bob Jane.

In my size (245/35R19) they're about $100 more expensive each than the Maxxis MA-Z1's

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

The Bob Jane I went into were C**k. They seemed all to happy to upsell what they had in stock and that was it. He actually told me he wasn't sure when he would be able to get the Falkens in... :evil:

It was only after me telling him I didn't want his s**t bob jane xenons or Pirelli P7s that he looked up the price for the Bridgestones.

Looks like I'll be going in next week after all this flood business dies down, will be making sure I get a price on the Falkens before I committ to the Bridgestones.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Maybe time to find a new outlet, if the staff there are crap.

I'm thinking of trying the Federals next time, and will be buying through a mate that runs an independent tyre store. This depends on the 595RSR's being available in 19's, they weren't last time I checked.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2