Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Premium Rubber!
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Hey all,

It is time to fork out more dosh for tread. Currently running 235/45/17 and 255/40/17 Goodyear Eagle f1's and my fronts are due for replacing. As I have a dedicated set of track wheels which I'm getting semi's for I'm looking for a good tyre with a slightly harder compound than the Eagle F1's for the street.

My parents have Pirelli P Zero's on their SV6 which I took for a spin in the wet and found to be pretty good, although I couldn't really push it that hard as I find it a hard car to drive. They used to run Eagle F1's and have got an extra 10000km out of the Pirelli's so far (look like maybe another 5000 or so left in them).

Anyway if anyone wants to post their experiences with various makes suitable I figure would be a good resource for future references.

Thanks Nick

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Post subject: Re: Premium Rubber!
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:44 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

you may want to look at the falken FK542's, I got em on the front in 245/40/18's been on for 30,000km now, probably another 10,000 more in them, I give em a hard time and they have handled well, I have Eagle f1's on the back, they are the GSD3's so the newer f1's they are ok, but nothing flash.

The falkens out do them everywhere. I will be putting another set on when its time. If I had the coin I would put on yokie C.Drives though.

a touch soft on the shoulder, but regular wheel rotation and alignments see an end to that issue.

Not sure what the falkens are worth in 17's but they will be better than what it cost me for 18's.

the Falkens are a touch harder at 300 treadwear, compared to the eagles at 280, but there is not much in it, But the Falkens giver better feedback and are superior in the wet.

I had no confidence with the eagles on the front, they felt a bit vague.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Falken FK452
I got a pair on the front of the GT-P for daily duties, absolutely HATED them from new - slippery as f**k, felt unsafe. After a few thou, they've come good, and I'm happy with them. I'm running a rather aggressive wheel alignment (-2deg camber, 1.5mm toe out) and they're wearing well.
I haven't worn through a set yet, but they've been on for nearly 35,000ks on the front. Which now I've actually calculated that, I'm very impressed.

Maxxis MA-Z1
Also a big fan of these, great performance per $. Some people complain they're noisy, but nothing has bothered me. I'm still running these on the rear (the alignment settings wear these out on the front quickly), soft enough for the power I'm putting down, and they work well in the wet (it's great out running AWDs at the lights in the wet).
I've used a lot of these, average life is 25,000ks* (they are softer than the 452's).

Dunlop Sport MAXX
Good, (comparable to the two above), but at twice the price, and half the longevity very poor value. Burned through the factory set in 12,000k's.

* I used to race on them, now I have race rims and tyres (Toyo R888s), the average should improve.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Awesome I'll check the Falkens out. Thanks for the feedback.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL XR8

QLD, Australia

I find it hard to believe that your getting more k's out of a set of Pirelli P Zero's as opposed to Eagle F1's. I don't doubt the Pirelli's grip like anything as they are a really soft compound.
I'd steer clear of the Maxxis.

The new Asymmetric Eagle F1's are good. Motor mags tyre of the year 2 years running!! But I think you'll be limited on the sizes they come in.

I run 245/35R19 Dunlop Sport Maxx TT on the front of my XR8 and 275/30R19 Dunlop Sport Maxx on the rear. So far they have proven good.

Asymetric tyres are what you want if you want handling. Most premium tyres these days are.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

Also fitted Maxxis MA-Z1 to my BA MK 1,and have had no issues whatsoever.I paid $110 each,so excellent value for money.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I've just put new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on the back of my BA.

http://www.michelin.com.au/tyre/pattern ... ilotSport3
http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/tyres/bra ... ot-sport-3

Its hard to make a comparison because I really don't have a good benchmark as I had soddin Wanli's !!

Anyways, they grip like nothing else I've driven on in the wet.
The Wanli's had nothing and would spin up even on a light throttle.
These just dig in like driving in the dry; almost.
The most important thing for me was high level of grip and quietness .... and they certainly do both very well.
They aren't cheap. I paid $205 each at Jax.
Bloody excellent tyre. I won't buy anything else now.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ALIENATE wrote:
I find it hard to believe that your getting more k's out of a set of Pirelli P Zero's as opposed to Eagle F1's. I don't doubt the Pirelli's grip like anything as they are a really soft compound.

The new Asymmetric Eagle F1's are good. Motor mags tyre of the year 2 years running!! But I think you'll be limited on the sizes they come in.

I run 245/35R19 Dunlop Sport Maxx TT on the front of my XR8 and 275/30R19 Dunlop Sport Maxx on the rear. So far they have proven good.

Asymetric tyres are what you want if you want handling. Most premium tyres these days are.

They have had them on different cars (both commonwhores) so could have been crook alignment.

Been looking around and so far been quoted $290 for Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in 235/45/17. I think It was around the same for the dunlop sport maxx TT's. Normal eagle f1's were around $230.

What about potenza RE001's (quoted $235 a piece)?

Due to some glorious ebaying I only need the fronts now (235/45), as picked up some RE050A's on the cheap for the rear. I have read these are pretty soft, but to be honest for the price I paid don't really care if they only last 20000km ;)

**Edit: realised I didn't say how much I intended to spend. Looking at paying around $250 a tyre.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

ALIENATE wrote:

Why?

I've found only people who haven't used them say that. The only thing wrong with them, is they don't have a big name brand and associated high price.

Only thing to say is be careful of the difference in models:
There's the MA-Z1, which is their performance tyre (get these),
and the MA-V1, which is a mid range tyre.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I had the Z1's in 245/35/r19 when i first got my new rims, they were 250 a piece and while they gripped nicely they really didnt last too long, i think i only got about 20,000km and that was with 2 trips to QLD so hwy driving which dont exactly wear them out.

I am on a set of Archilles ATR Sports atm and with a treadwear of 400 they are the highest performance tyre i have managed to find, Only cost me 150 a piece as well, still going strong with 15,000km on them, probably about half way down tread wise and the grip levels really arent that bad for the price

Cheers

Phil

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

phil545 wrote:
I had the Z1's in 245/35/r19 when i first got my new rims, they were 250 a piece and while they gripped nicely they really didnt last too long, i think i only got about 20,000km and that was with 2 trips to QLD so hwy driving which dont exactly wear them out.

I am on a set of Archilles ATR Sports atm and with a treadwear of 400 they are the highest performance tyre i have managed to find, Only cost me 150 a piece as well, still going strong with 15,000km on them, probably about half way down tread wise and the grip levels really arent that bad for the price

Cheers

Phil

lol, you know treadwear is grippier the LOWER the number. I've never seen a car tyre with such a high treadwear index.

The MA-Z1's I originally had were 220's, they've changed to a silica compound and went up to 280, the Falken FK452's are a 300. The Toyo R888 semi slicks are 100, and my drag slicks are 40.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL XR8

QLD, Australia

phil545 wrote:

Cheers

Phil

Watch out they have really weak sidewalls!!! I have a photo of a mates car with them on and the sidewalls were bubbling all over the place!!
data_mine wrote:
ALIENATE wrote:

Why?

I've found only people who haven't used them say that. The only thing wrong with them, is they don't have a big name brand and associated high price.

Only thing to say is be careful of the difference in models:
There's the MA-Z1, which is their performance tyre (get these),
and the MA-V1, which is a mid range tyre.

Mate if you like them then use them. Personally I wouldn't. Big brands put a lot of technology and design into their tyres which is why they come at a price!! It's like buying Procomp heads vs AFR heads. Keep in mind that some tyres work for some cars and some for others.
I work in the tyre industry so I see and drive a lot of different cars with different tyres.

Skidder the bridgestone Potenza series are almost always a good buy. At the moment I am looking at getting some Semi-slicks for the back of my XR8. The Dunlop Direzza keeps winning awards but I'm having trouble getting a listing of the sizes the come in.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:50 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

ALIENATE wrote:
At the moment I am looking at getting some Semi-slicks for the back of my XR8. The Dunlop Direzza keeps winning awards but I'm having trouble getting a listing of the sizes the come in.

No offence (I checked your build link in your sig), but why? You're not making anywhere near enough power or torque to need semi's. All you'll do is have more grip than you can use (maybe too much, hello broken axles, gearbox?), and wear them out quickly, while paying top dollar (although I guess you can get them cheaper than most).

Anyway, as for semi's.

I use either the Toyo R888, or Yoko A050. Heard the Khumo KU36 are a good compromise between street longevity and some extra grip, as are the Federal 595RSR's. Although I've no experience with the last two.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
lol, you know treadwear is grippier the LOWER the number. I've never seen a car tyre with such a high treadwear index.

The MA-Z1's I originally had were 220's, they've changed to a silica compound and went up to 280, the Falken FK452's are a 300. The Toyo R888 semi slicks are 100, and my drag slicks are 40.

Yeah i know mate the softer compound wears quicker but gives much better grip. I was trying to find a happy medium between the 2 and found the archilles to be up there. I just didnt want to replace tyres every 15k/20k at a thousand bucks a go, the archilles only cost me 600 and should last longer. From memory my z1's were 220 but i thought they were silca compound back then, oh well eh!

Drag slicks at 40 wow!!! how long would a set last at that rate?

ALIENATE wrote:
Watch out they have really weak sidewalls!!! I have a photo of a mates car with them on and the sidewalls were bubbling all over the place!!

Thanks for heads up mate although I have seen people say this but mine seem to be going strong. The place I bought them from have a lifetime manufacture warranty on them so if they start bubbling i will be going straight back and getting myself a nice new set - this could work out well - never have to buy a new set again lol

Cheers

Phil

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

phil545 wrote:
Drag slicks at 40 wow!!! how long would a set last at that rate?

Cheers

Phil

We'll I've done 15 passes on them, and there is still plenty left (~60%).

In mileage terms it's appalling, those 15 passes would be I'm guessing about 30 km (guessing, approx 1km up the strip, 1km down the return road).

They're sticky, even when cold, they have a noticeable stickiness on your fingers, and they pick up anything that's on the road, roll them anywhere and they'll be covered in small stones and rubbish.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next