Pressure switch? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Pressure switch?
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

Can anyone tell me the purpose and function of the pressure switch on the brake master cylinder. mine has started to leak and i wanted to know if i could plug it up and bridge the wires or does it play some kind of important role?

Attachments:
pressure switch.jpg
pressure switch.jpg [ 52.24 KiB | Viewed 200 times ]

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

f**k yeah its important the abs needs to know how much pressure the lines are at and thats the sensor for it. u need that for abs

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

That switch turns on the warning light in the cluster (seen when you first start up). It is to detect and warn of a brake system failure.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i'll have to get a new one then if its important. its just a basic on/off normaly closed contact pressure switch same as the power steering one which i have plugged up and bridged( failed twice). any way a bloke i was talking to recons its the same type of pressure switch that holden uses ant they are about $20 cheaper then ford?

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The switch pictured is actually used in the factory fitted cruise control - it disengages cruise when the brake pedal is applied. It acts as a backup to the brake light switch which primarily does this job of disengaging cruise. The pressure switch is normally closed and opens when pressure is applied.

You can get these switches at the wreckers, probably cost you a few dollars - haven't really heard of them failing much - check that the leak isn't caused by a deteriorated o ring on the thread.
Easy to change - I'd have the power steering one fitted too . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

snap0964 is correct. It is the cruise control brake pressure switch and it is important. I would not bypass it.

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:

haven't really heard of them failing much - check that the leak isn't caused by a deteriorated o ring on the thread.

i've had 3 of em fail on me so far all leak out of the back where the wiring harness plugs in.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:04 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

voids wrote:
i've had 3 of em fail on me so far all leak out of the back where the wiring harness plugs in.
I'm referring to the cruise pressure switch - I assume you're referring to the power steering pressure switch ?? I have been told that what you're experiencing was a fault on the EA & EB steering switches, and was supposed to have been improved later on - I suppose you can check the part nos on an EA switch, and an EL one for example, and see if the numbers are indeed different. Maybe someone can provide some more detail on this ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yep had 2 pressure switches go on the power steering on my ef they look identicle to the cruse pressuer switch but might have a different pressure sensetivity. My inlaws AU had a power steering pressure switch leak a few months ago also so the problem might not have been fixed on the later models. it would be good to know the pressure sensitivity of the switches so i could try and track down a aftermarket one.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I figured probably nothing had changed with the P/S press s/w - luck of the draw I suppose. There's no pressure rating on the cruise s/w, but the part no is on there - compare it to the P/S one. I'd say you could go into a Ford service dept, and get them to look up the specs. Perhaps a decent auto parts place with someone knowledgable on this issue may help as well . . . .

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i'll have to check out repco or some one like that. maybe a good idea to keep one spare..

thanks for help

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The switch pictured is actually used in the factory fitted cruise control - it disengages cruise when the brake pedal is applied. It acts as a backup to the brake light switch which primarily does this job of disengaging cruise. The pressure switch is normally closed and opens when pressure is applied.

You can get these switches at the wreckers, probably cost you a few dollars - haven't really heard of them failing much - check that the leak isn't caused by a deteriorated o ring on the thread.

I thought the Cruise control pressure switch was the little one under the master cylinder, my EA had the one at the front (same position) book describes it as warning light switch and it didn't have cruise.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

the power steering preassure switch only inreases the revs a little bit in car parks and that to stop car from conking out under load.

they have not managed to fix it as the au2 did it abt every 3 months before my dad just blocked up the hole.

it may play an important role in ghias with ssps.

and the aftermarket one is the same if not worse than the ford one.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
I thought the Cruise control pressure switch was the little one under the master cylinder, my EA had the one at the front (same position) book describes it as warning light switch and it didn't have cruise.
Not sure about EA, but if you have a look at your EL, it will have the 2 switches - cruise (as pictured in this thread), and brake fail, which sits underneath halfway along the master cylinder.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
madmax wrote:
Not sure about EA, but if you have a look at your EL, it will have the 2 switches - cruise (as pictured in this thread), and brake fail, which sits underneath halfway along the master cylinder.

Yeah I've seen the two switches in the EL. The reason I thought the big one at the front was the warning light switch is be cause it is in the same position on the master cylinder as in the EA. Apart from that the master cylinders look identical. Makes you wonder why Ford would swap them around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next