Fordmods Logo

Problems with lowering and 17" x 7.5" rims? 

Page 2 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF

WA, Australia

When i first lowered my EF I put lovells superlows with my 16" XR6 rims, it went fine for about two weeks, but then on every pot hole i hit when i turned, the tyre would scrape the guard, it was terrible coz it made small cuts in the tyre rubber and also bent my guard slightly in a matter of days..

On the other hand i know someone with the same setup, and his makes it with no scrapage.. i guess its up to the car and how it responds to the springs once their worn in. I had my car raised by one 'loop' and now i run 18's no worries

EF II I6
Exterior: Custom Mustang Kit
Interior: 2 x Kicker L7 12" & ZR1000
Engine: Wade cam, extractors, 2.5" exhaust.. heaps more on its way

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 32 GTR

NSW, Australia

ruthless wrote:
When i first lowered my EF I put lovells superlows with my 16" XR6 rims, it went fine for about two weeks, but then on every pot hole i hit when i turned, the tyre would scrape the guard, it was terrible coz it made small cuts in the tyre rubber and also bent my guard slightly in a matter of days..

On the other hand i know someone with the same setup, and his makes it with no scrapage.. i guess its up to the car and how it responds to the springs once their worn in. I had my car raised by one 'loop' and now i run 18's no worries

Bit off-topic, but do you have some larger pics of your EF?

237.9 KW ATW

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Rim size shouldn't matter, rim width will.

You should be compensating for the increase in rim size with a small series tyre, so that the rolling diameter is as close to the same as with stock tyres and wheels.

If the wheels are sitting out in the guards more(filling out the guards) that is when you will have problems. otherwise they should be fine.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ed falcon

NSW, Australia

superlow all round 17x7.5 had to change to shorter shock std shocks bottom out. Had to get front gards rolled just rubbed going into driveways didn't want to risk ripping the gard off.

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

AFF 05 NSW DYNO DAY STATE CHAMP

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Daniel: do you already have the 17" rims or are you buying them? if so then i guess its just a matter of picking the right springs/shocks.. talk to the people who lower ur car they should know whats best, and if your unsure just post up what they said. if you havent bought the rims yet, then as djmikey said try keep rolling diameter same

Snow_white: yup i'll send u a private msg

EF II I6

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: NC V8

QLD, Australia

the front drivers side tyre scrubs on my fairlane...16x8 225s its whacked i gotta go outside and bend the f**k back down so it doesnt cut the s**t out of my tyres when i turn. i think its only getting bent out when im turning, whilst going up/down a big drop (f**k up gutterstyle driveway)

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

ruthless wrote:
Daniel: do you already have the 17" rims or are you buying them? if so then i guess its just a matter of picking the right springs/shocks.. talk to the people who lower ur car they should know whats best, and if your unsure just post up what they said. if you havent bought the rims yet, then as djmikey said try keep rolling diameter same

Snow_white: yup i'll send u a private msg

Err, the 17" came stock on my NL firlane, sorry if i didnt make it clear lol.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Daniel you ahve seen my car and i do not reccomend the king superlows in a fairlane they are too f**k low!
ill be going pedders springs i think

Nicko

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
Daniel you ahve seen my car and i do not reccomend the king superlows in a fairlane they are too f**k low!
ill be going pedders springs i think

lol nick! - its your car which makes me question the setup, i mean ur car looks fkn awesome but i honestly couldnt put up with driving it like that all the time with the damping or the gaurds n s**t..
I will see what i can do, i wish to lower it 25mm on the front and 45 mm on the back :o

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I did know so many people on here would be having prolems with the front wheel hitting or the guard cutting the tyre.
When i first put my 19's on the car, i went round a corner with a big bump and cause i was turning it cut into my tyre pretty good. I got a mate to lip/roll the guards on the front and they haven't hit yet. Thy're 19's, approx 9-inch wide rim on the front with 245's on them. try lipping/rolling your guards. It worked a treat for me.

Dave

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I'm getting a set of 18x8 (235 40 18) CSA Gladiators for the phairmont and considering lowering with king springs and shocks too. Two things i'm worried about, 1) that "low" wont be low enough for a good visual effect, 2) that "super low" will be too low for the 18's (Which hopefully wont scrape or carry on). I never drive like a madass and rarely have more than two people in the car at one time. I want to go for superlow, anyone want to boost my confidence? :?

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I first would have thought it would be bad, but knowing sli gli had 18" rims with superlows and plans or may have already gone lower makes me think they wont be much of a hassel..
If it is just get your gaurds rolled i rekon, will look awesome.

I still cant decide on what to do, anyone know what springs drop around 45mm at the back and 25mm at the front? :wink:

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

yeah just get your guards rolled, its not hard and its not expensive and you'll be glad.. you cant go wrong.. superlows will definately be pleasing to the eye you'll love em. esp with superlows it rocks having a bit of your tyres under the guard

EF II I6

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

where do u guys go to get ur gaurds rolled?
i was told it can be DIY style to an extent, but after that leave it to the pros to ensure paint doesnt break or dents arent visable.. ?

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:34 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

yeah, I tried DIY rolling, but made a mess of my left front quarter panel, some (very slight) dents some cracked paint.

So would a smash repairer do rolling, or where???

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next