Fordmods Logo

q's about my new purchased statuary write off 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Do it in a day sounds great, but how much for something that pulls an egnine out, engine crane I assume they are called?
I don't mind it, but it seems like alot of work, disconnecting everything, connecting everything back up for nothing...?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

5 speed manual was a No Cost Option (NCO) on EA Ghia for a start.

About $50 for 24 hour hire on an engine hoist, and yes its alot of work, hard work to do it in a day.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Last edited by Dellboy999 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So I guess I'll just stick with jacking up the car, that doesn't seem that bad reading that doco. Thanks for the info though.. I might still need that crane to pull the 3.9MPFI out.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Post subject: Re: q's about my new purchased statuary write off
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: R32 GTR

VIC, Australia

Dellboy999 wrote:
justfordima wrote:
I just got a few q's about this car I bought.
It is an EA Fairmont Ghia, it has an electric sunroof, MPFI, 5 speed, LSD, self leveling suspension, full coloured bumpers, and ghia stuff...

Anyway, the interior is gone, all of it lol. No doors either. There's no actualy damage to the car. So, car's not registerable.

My questions:

1) the t5's connected to a 3.9 used a different flywheel to the 4.0's?

2) It has an LSD, great, but I understand the EA's used stupid gear ratios..stupid as in, not what I want. was it a 2.77? if so, anyone want it?lol..seriously, what was the ratio?

3) What is self leveling suspension exactly? its all going into a wagon, so, I don't think I can use them anyway :roll:

4) If I decided to put that LSD into my car, would it make a difference that my car's a wagon? would it work? as in change just the centre? what else?

5) Electric sunroof's worth anything? the stock ones?

6) Dude said that this Fairmont Ghia came with the T5 stock...I didn't know it was an option?

7) Do you prefer Spirits or Bourbon? :lol:

Thanks guys.

1. no all the same
2. Yes they have 2.77 lsd, no change possible, boat anchor is all its good for.
3.SLS is air pump up shocks that keep the car at the same height in the rear regardelss of weight placed in the boot or passengers in the back seat. I doubt it can be fitted to a wagon, most people remove it for normal shocks and springs anyways, but i love mine and will never remove it. (i have a sedan)
4.see point 2, not worth the effort unless you have 2.77 single spinner of course.
5.Electric sunroof if in working order, and in good condition, about $200 i think with full electrical loom of course.
6.Yes it did, damn good score, T5's are hard to find.
7.Tequila .....

1) Wrong - The flywheel is PHYSICALLY the same size and is interchangeable but uses a different clutch and mount points for the clutch - the EA series use a 3 bolt clutch and the EB2 onwards use a larger pressure/friction plate and 6 bolt clutch.

2) You may be able to remove the LSD centre and install it into your axle and keep your ratios, you'll also need to swap the half shafts as they'll be 25 spline. Your discs should bolt up and keep ABS (if fitted) working normally.

4) Re point 2

5) $50-250 depending on condition, how hard the rubber is, if it leaks, if the motors are quiet or noisy, if it hesitates, etc etc etc etc....

6) Someone already said the T5 was a NCO.

7) Wild Turkey. Subject closed :)

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So in RE to number 1, you are saying that I am going to have to get a fly wheel of another 4ltr manual falcon? ....great. As for wild turkey... nice choice.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

justfordima wrote:
So in RE to number 1, you are saying that I am going to have to get a fly wheel of another 4ltr manual falcon? ....great. As for wild turkey... nice choice.

Cheers

No - the mounts on the flywheel, ring gear for the starter motor and spline in the clutch are identical throughout the EA-EL (unsure of earlier and later versions) so any T5 from those vehicles fits any other vehicle.

Only difference is if you have an EA flywheel, you must use an EA clutch, the 3 bolt type. That's what I'm using in my EL Fairmont, it works fine.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

You won't need another flywheel, You can get yours re-drilled to fit a 6bolt clutch .

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

ooooohhh.... so, I have stock EA manual, it will have 3 bolt clutch, and 3 bolt flywheel = fit together... if I want a 6 bolt clutch, I have to get them drilled, or get an EBII manual flywheel or above?

Any advantages of a 6 bolt clutch? not worth the effort?

And are the pump up shocks worth anything? Where's that dude that wanted pneumatic suspension? lol

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

ok a couple more answers for you.
the suspension compressor should be worth 30-50 bucks to someone.
the EA Ghia manual should have a 2.92LSD 28 spline diff in it so you could get the center changed into your diff. or sell it and buy a 3.45lsd
the EA ghia was available as a 5speed the EB onwards ghias were auto only no option at all of a manual.
use the later model clutch if you can they are stronger.

and

Jim Beam is my drink of choice :D

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:23 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

And a fine choice of drink :lol:

Thanks for that, so it had a 2.92, that sucks. My car stock has like a 3.08, so I won't bother with that. With the suspension, I meant the shocks and compressor, but 30-50$ for just the compressor, I see that I'm lucky to sell any of it.

So we have established that they did come stock with the T5, and that it's not just a dodgy guy.

but what would I use to get the car 1/2 meter off the ground? is there something specific, or is it just impossible without a pit inspection thingy, and I have to take the engine out, to get to the tranny?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You can use the LSD centre component without using the crownwheel and pinion and put it into your existing diff without changing ratios. You will need to change the half shafts though because the LSD from the EA has 25 splines which is fine for most people.

Speak to a diff shop, they should do it for under $200.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The point of this car was to minimize costs, I would not go the trouble or the money for a 2.92. Would these fit XF's? I got a mate with one.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

And my point is, you dont need to keep the 2.92 ratio. The LSD "part" of the diff is independant and seperate to the "ratio" (crownwheel and pinion) part of the diff.

They are interchangeable on the same family of differentials, in your/our case they're all BW78's so you're set.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

justfordima wrote:
And a fine choice of drink :lol:

Thanks for that, so it had a 2.92, that sucks. My car stock has like a 3.08, so I won't bother with that. With the suspension, I meant the shocks and compressor, but 30-50$ for just the compressor, I see that I'm lucky to sell any of it.

So we have established that they did come stock with the T5, and that it's not just a dodgy guy.

but what would I use to get the car 1/2 meter off the ground? is there something specific, or is it just impossible without a pit inspection thingy, and I have to take the engine out, to get to the tranny?

Cheers

Im running a 3.08:1 LSD in my ED XR6, removed the standard open wheel center and replaced it with a LSD center, No problems, just make sure you do it right, then you won't get any whining.

And yes The EA Fairmont ghias did come as a manual .. I've got one sitting outside, And its not a auto converted one .

You also don't need to take the motor out to take the tranny out.

Buy a jack, just go to supercheap and buy one, and axel stands (4) , jack the front of the car up, place the stands on the crossmember, do the same with the back, Jack it up, put the diff on axel stands,

Unbolt the tailshaft, take it out, get lots of auto fluid everywhere, drop the auto crossmember, remove the inspection plate from the front of the auto, unbolt the 4 bolts holding the touque convertor to the flex plate, You will need to rotate the motor a few times to get them all, undo all the T-bar shifter gear from underneath the car, Undo all the auto bolts, Have fun removing the top starter motor bolt, lol ... (one bolt modication! lol) . ;)

Now, since you have removed the crossmember, and everything that goes with it, and unbolted the box from the block, you should be able to pull the box away from the block, just beware, its very heavy, get a mate to help you, and also use the trolley jack under the auto to pull it away .

ALso, If removing the manual box, you need to seperatate it from the bellhousing first, 4 15MM bolts,

I've got so much spare time at the moment, I should write some doco's!

Motor in, Motor out, Yeah, thats one way of doing it, But if your going to pull the motor out, why not do some work on the motor too? .. rear main, front timing harmonic balancer seal? ... Give it all a degrease first ..

Since speaking to a few people in brissy, you can use a 6bolt clutch . on the standard EA/EB1 flywheel, There are extra holes there for it . But you might need to get a one or two drilled. .. But they are the same size/ ring gear, and weight .

EA/EB1 being 3.9MPI both have 3bolt clutches, Its the 4.0ltr that had the 6bolt clutch .

I fanged around in my ED with a EA fllywheel and 3 bolt clutch, Never had a problem with it .. Never slipped or anything, If you want a good 3 bolt clutch, get a dakin ..

Just out of interest, How much did you pay for the car? .

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
the EA ghia was available as a 5speed the EB onwards ghias were auto only no option at all of a manual.

i beg to differ....... the EB's had a manual gearbox option on the EB/EBII Ghia's, but they're f*****g rare

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next