Fordmods Logo

Question About Bleeding Brakes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Question About Bleeding Brakes
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Ok so i need some info on my EB II about the right way to do brakes i know about the rear piston needing to be screwed in and that sort of stuff its just the idea of bleeding brakes that i am not sure about ! I know i have to start at the caliper furthest from the Master Cylinder and work my way towards it and i know i can get a one way valve tube to keep air out of the line !

Ok when bleeding brakes when do you bleed them? Do you undo the nipple put the hose on and bleed them while you push the piston back in and then put the pads on and take the hose off and close the nipple ?

How much fluid am i looking at draining ? All of it ? Then replace it with the freshest stuff around?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Post subject: Re: Question About Bleeding Brakes
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

There is more than one way to skin a cat,take off the callipers,remove the pads,on the front, clamp the brake line,crack the bleeder,push the piston back,put the new pads in,take the clamp off the lines,put the calliper back on,take the lid off the master cylinder,let the fluid leak out of the bleeder nipples,close them when it starts running out,do the rear bakes (remember some e series have the longer rear brake line on the drivers side) all the winding and stuff,put pads in,put callipers back on,let fluid leak out,close bleeder,fill master cylinder,close lid,start car,pull hand brake on a few times,press brake pedal a few times,re bleed brakes,and done.

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Autofast2 wrote:
re bleed brakes,and done.

What do you mean bu RE-Bleed brakes ?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:03 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

New is best but brake fluid is hard core stuff,if its really dark replace it all ,if its glugy replace it all,to change fluid suck all fluid from the master,fill it with new stuff,suck or gravity bleed the new fluid out just like bleeding your brakes,if you cant tell the difference between old and new you probably just wasted your time :D .NOTE when sucking from the master only take out of the fluid dont suck out of the holes,or you may have to bleed the master from scratch.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:07 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

As in do it again just to be sure,plus the pistons would have moved out when you pressed the pedal so bleed it a last time and you should only have a small if any amount of air.I have to do that stuff all day every day and that way works best for me.

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Autofast2 wrote:
There is more than one way to skin a cat,take off the callipers,remove the pads,on the front, clamp the brake line,crack the bleeder,push the piston back,put the new pads in,take the clamp off the lines,put the calliper back on,take the lid off the master cylinder,let the fluid leak out of the bleeder nipples,close them when it starts running out,do the rear bakes (remember some e series have the longer rear brake line on the drivers side) all the winding and stuff,put pads in,put callipers back on,let fluid leak out,close bleeder,fill master cylinder,close lid,start car,pull hand brake on a few times,press brake pedal a few times,re bleed brakes,and done.

that makes no sense whatsoever.....
maybe some punctuation could help.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]