Fordmods Logo

Quick Help - Clutch Cable, 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Quick Help - Clutch Cable,
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, Clutch cable snapped on my EF falcon...i think it snapped gearbox side, the wire thing came out and its burnt and looked like it was streched to s**t, just before it broke i was trying to put it into gear and it was just getting impossible, then i put my foot on the clutch and heard a huge a** snap!

Did the cable break because it was old or because or something else?

Cheers

And is there anyway to get my car home without a clutch? I heard you can drive a car clutchless but dont know how to do so!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

it can be done. not great for it if your crap at it, the hardest part is getting it moving. lights will not be fun!

its all about rev matching. if its on a hill get it rolling in neutral and start the car. if its not you may be able to put it in neutral get it rolling with the starter and slip it into gear. or even try in gear, do falcon start when in gear? just be careful not to burn the starter out..

when changing gear, slip it into neutral, match the revs for the speed the car would be doing in the next gear and try slip in in smoothly. obviously, you will have to drop the revs on up changes, and light them on down changes.

so yes, it can be done, but i would just get it towed if its any length of a drive or requires traffic lights or hill starts.

other option go out and buy a new clutch cable and install it on the side of the road. its not a hard job.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I bought a new clutch cable. How far do i have to jack the car up to get the clutch cable into that black box? the cars on a bit of a slant

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You are better getting a tow than trying to get it home without clutch. Its safer. Replacing the clutch by the side of the road is not too hard, I did that with an XF which is the same job. A torch and a jack are handy. If you had less clutch before the cable broke you may have cracked the firewall where the cable comes through. You only have to jack the car up enough to get under it.

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I checked the firewall and it hasnt cracked such as yet, altho i am buying a plate this week and reinforcing this weekend.

I am more worried if its something like the clutch fork. as cbf taking the manual box out again :p

Alright ill give that a shot, It was getting harder and harder to put it into gear and i had to keep on adjusting the clutch until i had nothing more to adjust. I think that my cable was just streching. I have no idea how old the cable as i bought the complete convo off mash85 when i bought the car, actually i have no idea what gearbox it is out of.

Cheers brett!

Post subject: Re: Quick Help - Clutch Cable,
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

tim2x wrote:
Did the cable break because it was old or because or something else?!
More than likely - generally the cable starts sawing through the inner conduit (due to the cable routing where bends are necessary), that then makes it very hard to pull, so it then puts extra stress on the cable and attachments.
If you plan to jack the car, use a decent jack and a backup stand or whatever - don't get under the car just trusting a scissors jack - it will let you down.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

changing gears with no clutch can be done very easily if u know how, if u don't know how u probably won't stand a chance

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Is doing it in a T5 manual different than other cars? My G/fs dad offered to do it, and he's driven from the city to croydon without a clutch, and he tried it on my car just before and he cant get it in?

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the replys

I fixed it this morning and installed new clutch cable

feels ALOT lighter.

When pressing on the pedal, is it normal for it to feel hard at first then glide to the floor?

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]