Radius rod bushes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Radius rod bushes
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Have a problem on my EL with the outer of the tyres scrubing. The wheel alignment has been done and is perfect but it still scrubs the outer of the tyres (passanger side a fraction more). It does pull slightly to the left but more under braking. The ball joints, tie rods, rack ends and camber/castor bushes are fine. The only thing i havnt checked is the radius rod bushes. I have noticed the when the passenger wheel goes over bumps the steering wheel whips but doesnt do it with the drivers wheel, also there is a clunk from the passenger wheel over the same bumps. Has anyone had problems with them or rods them selves and was the tyres scrubbing a syptom? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

does the clunk happen when you hit the brakes hard 2?

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 93 ED

NSW, Australia

Just a quick question what are your wheel bearings like. If 1 is loose it will cause a clunk when going over bumps. May also cause the pulling to one side and slight tyre wear.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 16 images

Power: 165 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I got to do the radius rod rubbers, the driver side front makes a unhappy noise on some bumps and hard under brakes, been told my mechanic there a pain to do

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:38 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The tyre wear indicates that toe is out(or in) to much. Even though a wheel aligner has said its all good, you could still be having the toe issues caused by play in the rack. Get this checked by a good mechanic. THat mechanic will also be able to go over the rest of the car and let you know what else could be wrong.

It is also possible that the wheel bearing would affect the wear, so get this checked aswell. this is easy done by at home.

When/if you go to get your rack checked, ask em how they check them. If they jack the car up so the weight is off the wheels, then take it elsewhere because this will not show up any wear. If they check it on a four poster (leaving the car at normal ride height) then chancers are its getting checked properly.

Pedders does the $14 / 28 point safety check. Might be worth getting them to have a look.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:39 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Should also add, that once a tyre starts wearing, you can spend $3,000 fixing everything but yuou will have the same wear happening on your tyre. Once a tyre starts to wear, it will always follow that pattern and continue wearing!

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The wheel bearings and stub axles are also new. Basically the only thing i havnt replaced is the radius rod bushes and the lower control arm bushes. Ill have someone check for play in the bushes under brakes going forward and in reverse. Will let you all know whats found. Thanks so far for the help.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

rotate your tyres front to rear and left to right keep doin that instead of f**k one tyre,
could it be a balljoint?

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The ball joints are fine as in the first post. I would rather fix the problem rather than put a band aid on in. Its both tyres scrubing on the outer and they are only about 3 months old. I have noticed they kinda howl under brakes and when turning.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:49 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Lower inner control arm bush - A Ford favourite.

Jack the thing up and put a lever between the arm and the k-frame and see how much movement is in the bush.

My radius rod bushes were cracked and s**t when I replaced them, but never caused a drivability issue.

But when the lower inner control arm bush died, killed a new set of tyres in 3 weeks, pulled all over the road, sloppy steering, clunks, tyres squealing and howling... was a bastard of a thing to drive.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks Arm will check that tonight also. Visually they look ok but will check for movement.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A visial check will normally give the idea that they are ok.

Most times leavering the thing around will show they are rooted. But the best indication is to drop that end of the arm out of the K-Frame for a good look.

I've looked at rubber ones before I thought were fine, but when they were removed, you could tell they were beyond stufed.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just checked the radius rod bushes during my lunch break. Placed a finger between the bush and front washer then rocked the car back and forth with the top of the tyre. There is movement and more pronounced on the passenger side, im assuming it would be alot worse under brakes. Got a price for the full set in nolethane (rod to chassis & rod to control arm) $59 is that a good price?

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

All the bushes are in and what a difference they made. No more clunks over bumps. The steering feels alot better, no more shaking steering wheel at 100 k's + and no more wandering steering under brakes. I fully recomend others with the same symptoms to change these bushes, took about 2 hours to do and well worth it. Just have to have the wheel alignment checked now.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]