Fordmods Logo

Rear break rotor how much? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rear break rotor how much?
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hey guys how much would i be looking at if i was 2 buy a rear break rotor from ford? id ring them now but there closed and im fair impatient lol :D

Thanks Molloy....

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

you'd probably want to change both to keep them the same size. and i wouldn't buy them from ford, wouldn't be cheap at all.
they cost more if you have ABS - there artound $100ish each side. ring up your local auto parts store - repco, bursons, sparco, supercrapauto, autobarn, and get some quotes

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
you'd probably want to change both to keep them the same size. and i wouldn't buy them from ford, wouldn't be cheap at all.
they cost more if you have ABS - there artound $100ish each side. ring up your local auto parts store - repco, bursons, sparco, supercrapauto, autobarn, and get some quotes

AFAIK The rear rotor on a EF is same ABS to non ABS.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Are they easy to put on yourself? ive got a pain in the a*** squeak in the left hand side rear when i put the breaks on it stops but when im off them it just squeaks with every rotation of the wheel and there is 2 lines cut into the rotor, the pads are new and the old rotor has been machined,
i had a bent axel but we got that fixed so that elemenated that, so we think the rotors warped, or do u think it could be the caliper?

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah the rotors are same on the rear for both non-ABS and ABS cars.
EF rotors are different, but I got my EB ones for about $38 each from hightek brakes.
Make sure you change both sides!

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

anyone any idears?? this thing is driving me crazy

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

well the 2 lines cut itno the rotor would have me very worried! the rotor on it's own couldn't do that. so there's something that has caused that. you'd want to figure out what before replacing the rotors otherwise you might find you fit a new rotor only to have it stuffed straight away.
and rotors arn't hard to replace yourself.

as for the abs, i didn't know that. i just presumed it'd be all 4 discs like a lot of other cars. seems a bit cheap not fitting it to the rear aswell doesn't it?

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

rotors are always on ebay these days

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

wtf is a break rotor????? or do you mean BRAKE rotor?

Banned

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

If your replacing rotors you should renew the pads also, also a good idea when the rotor is off to clean out the handbrake system and adjust the shoes.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Ford E series dont not have hand brake shoes, It is adjusted with the calliper and uses the pads to hold rotor, make sure you WIND the piston back properly not just squeeze back or you will knacker the seal at the back of cilliper. There are two ways to adjust hand brake when replacing pads or rotors. Ask a few questions at your local mechanics as for first timers it is quite a tricky/fiddly job, has certain pre load to set up. If you follow cable back you will see pretty much what I mean.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon

SA, Australia

only ea-ed have wind back calipers. ef- on all have handbrake shoes, and these shoes are normally the cause of the squeak.

i cant be bothered thinking of something to write here

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Sorry my mistake on hand brake shoes, was my old EB was thinkin of.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:26 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
as for the abs, i didn't know that. i just presumed it'd be all 4 discs like a lot of other cars. seems a bit cheap not fitting it to the rear aswell doesn't it?
The rear ABS setup consists of a pulse ring (looks like a cogged ring)fitted to each axle, a sensor which looks the same as the fronts is mounted in the alloy backing of the brake assy, so the discs themselves are not involved, hence no difference between ABS and non ABS rear disc rotors.
wardy0 wrote:
only ea-ed have wind back calipers. ef- on all have handbrake shoes, and these shoes are normally the cause of the squeak.
All XH series have wind back rear calipers also.
When adjusting the handbrake shoes in the EF/EL, turning the cogged adjuster clockwise (looking down on the adjuster wheel) expands the shoe - this is same L & R sides.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Molloy wrote:
Are they easy to put on yourself? ive got a pain in the a*** squeak in the left hand side rear when i put the breaks on it stops but when im off them it just squeaks with every rotation of the wheel and there is 2 lines cut into the rotor, the pads are new and the old rotor has been machined,
i had a bent axel but we got that fixed so that elemenated that, so we think the rotors warped, or do u think it could be the caliper?

Stones can sometimes get caught in between the rotor and pad. If the pad has the same groves in it that the disc does, then it's probablt some contamination, like a stone, that's got caught in there. Replacing both would fix the situation.

I payed $90 each for DBA slotted for my EF.

Edit: Found the receipt. I payed $50 each for the rear DBA slotted.

Last edited by unclewoja on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next