Rear noise problem!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rear noise problem!!
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:17 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Forte

ACT, Australia

Hay hay!

Well as I was driving down a road in wet conditions (my rear tyre tread was low on both wheels) I came up to a roundabout with a very sharp curve through the whole turn if you wanted to go straight (which I did), as soon as I was half way through the roundabout there was a P plater in a VN drifting around the turn coming up behind me from the right. He lost control and started to slide right towards me uncontrollably and pretty fast, so the only thing I could do to avoid any accident was to speed up. I did speed up and in the end I did avoid him crashing into me, but as I sped up, my tyres lost traction after about 5 meters of driving and the back of my car slid out to the left onto the dirt that was right next to the road. There was a gutter and my BACK LEFT TYRE hit that and bounced up onto the side of the road...

So thats ok, nobody is hurt and the guy in the VN was pretty damn apologetic, he also went off the road and bounced over the small gutter onto the side of the road.

Blah blah, cut to what my problem is... Now as I drive, when I'm going above about 30km/h I hear a squeak on the back left side of my car, and as I speed up and travel at higher speeds, the squeak speeds up like "squeak.squeak.squeak.squeak" from "squeak...........squeak.............squeak".

My original thought was that there must be something wrong with the suspensions or shocks because if I applied the brakes and the weight of momentum was transfered to the front of the car (back of car rising slightly), the squeaking would stop, and as soon as I let go of the breaks, the squeak would come back!.

I took the left rear wheel off to inspect everything, but nothing seems out of place. As i'm not very good with identifying things that a wrong because I am inexperienced I was hoping for some advice to what to look for? If you like, I can take photos with the tyre off or on just to maybe help?

Its an AUII stock Forte (obviously you can see my name!)

Thank you if anybody can help me!!

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 4.0 EL/dads taxi

QLD, Australia

Hi, how ya goin.

Did you spin the rear wheel and see if it is actually bent?

Raise axle and put on stands, not bricks or concrete blocks as they cuush.

Chock front right wheel, put something front and back of tyre so car won't move.

Release hand brake and put car into neutral.

spin wheel, left rear, by hand and see if there is a side to side wobble when it turns.

If there is then put the spare on and see if squeak goes.

Or just replace with spare to begin with and check if squeak still there.

Let us know if still there.

Grumbles

The thunder of .05 will echoe around Bathurst for ever.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:13 am 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Hay again, I changed the wheel straight away, it was the first thing I did. The squeak still was there.

Its bugging me out. If it helps, when I drive there are no handling problems at all. The car drives exactly as it did before, with the added squeak!

Post subject: squeak
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

QLD, Australia

Hey how r ya, i did the same sort of thing, but i spun out on a round about and hit the back right. i did some good damage (rim broke tyre rooted, abs sensor broke and axel bent) which may be what your problem is. i reckoon your axle is bent.

not too sure if there is an easy way to see but its a possibility. ps your looking at about $500(but that on an ef so im not to sure)

get some one in the know to check it out

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Check for a bent axle. Same as above but with the wheel off but with wheel nuts on to hold disk rotor in place. Also could be a damaged outer bearing but I don't think it is.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

it could be a bent brake disk, which will squeak as the warped part goes past the pads. obviously the faster you go, the faster the squeak will be, and when you apply the brakes you won't hear it!

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

If the axle is bent the disk will follow because the disk is mounted to the end of the axle.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:38 am 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Hey I've got some more news.. Now when I'm braking, I can feel shudders in the foot pedal, and my car doesn't slow down smoothly, instead it slows down like its shuddering.

The best way I can explain it is that it slows then shudder, slows more then shudder, slows more then shudder.... hehe sorry thats the best I can do.

Do you think its got something to do with the actual brake on my left rear wheel? If so, how much would a replacement cost, or instead, I would just love to upgrade all my brakes at the same time if I have to get them fixed or changed.

Oh, and I checked axle thoroughly and its not bent anywhere... Is there anything else I should check or get replaced? At the moment, I really think the problem is lying in the whole brake system, and the wheel, not too sure what its actually called, but the wheel that the pads slow down when braking.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU S2 XR8

WA, Australia

hey mate the shuddering can more than likely be unrelated. this is a common problem with factory discs in the front mine did it now i've upgraded to cross drilled and slotted. the discs get heat warped at the front very easily, from a bit of heavy braking then stopped at the lights for a little bit! more than likely its the axle as suspension cant really make those sorts of noises. if someone has a magnetic base dial indicator they'd be able to tell u straight away if its the axle.

mmmmmmmmmmm 220 manual goodness!

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Check your brake pads. When low, just through normal wear, the steel can rub on the discs and start to squeak. They may have worn from general use, but youve only noticed it after the accident as youre paying a lot more attention then

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

So far, handling while driving still hasn't changed, its only when I brake now that the shudder comes in, and the squeak is still present...

So say the Axle is bent, how would I go about getting it fixed? And what ever it takes, what kind of money are we talking about here?

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

hay sorry to bring up this sorta old thread, but NOW I have more detail... As you know, I get a shudder when I apply the brakes, but the shudder isnt there when I apply the brakes while going REVERSE.... hmmm, something that made me think and the answer my mind came up with is "Ask fordmods or somebody else who might know what they are talking about" hehe...

Any more ideas or help would be so damn great!

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR8

VIC, Australia

i did the exact same in my EL and had all the same signs

i changed break pads got discs ground, new bearings and it ended up been a bent axel. $40 from wreckers

dont no if this helps though cos i dont have IRS and i think you do.

cheers
simo

VNOMIS

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Eb Fairmont II AND BA XT FALCON

VIC, Australia

reading all of this has p****d me off! i got my brakes done and had 4 new tyres fitted to the eb about 4 months ago, the dikhead actually put 195's on my car and said they were good tyres, i couldnt take off without spinning!
couple days later ive come to realise that i have exactly the same squeak ur describing, along with a shudder n grind wen rolling at idle thru say shopping centre car parks ..... ripped the wheel off and if i grab the whole caliper, one of the bolts is completely threaded and one end of the caliper isnt actually mounted. pull the handrake slightly n all noises disappear.
What id like to know is, has the idiot that worked on my car guttered my car, or has u gutterin ur car possible done the same damage as his rattle gun????

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:57 am 
Parts Gopher

ACT, Australia

Hay what you described above as a shudder and like a grinding noise at very low speeds and RPM, example: car park, thats exactly the same with me, but i've tried pulling my hand brake up slightly (trying not to lock up wheels) and the noise is still there, so thats a little different in mine.

How much would a brand new axle cost if I needed one?

Im going to get my car checked out by some mechanics, most likely tomorrow and hopefully they will find the problem. I cant see how they would find it without having to actually take it for a short drive (which ive had experience from other mechanics doing so, and scratching up my wheels and side of my car) so hopefully they dont treat my car like s**t and break it even more!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next