Fordmods Logo

Rear springs affecting front steering?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Rear springs affecting front steering??
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi guys,
bit of a weird one for you - and bit of a long story - here goes. I have an XB coupe which was steering pretty normally - but front tyres were very worn on passenger side (I mean, BOTH tyres had wear on the left side only) so, went to tyre dealer, had a pair of new goodyears fitted. Now it pulled slightly to the right...so, next weekend, take it for a wheel align - they had it on the rack several times, everything in the front is good, no wear etc, got all the specs right - but it still pulls to the right....so the next weekend, I jack up the REAR of the car to have a look, rear springs have worn thru their rubber pads that separate the leaves so I made some pads just for the rear main leaf to next leaf where the wear was worst, took a grinder anc carefully removed any burrs and put a bit of grease at each leaf end. Took it for a drive, 99% of the pull was gone. Next I checked rear shockers, the r/h one was very hard to compress so I replaced them with new Gabriels - ride is better but now I've noticed that after a left turn the car tracks absolutely straight, after a right hand turn it will pull very slightly right.... My question, then , is - do you think completely replacing the rear springs will solve the rest of my woes, and how much are rear springs for an XB??

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:56 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

The car is steering itself from the rear, sounds like to suspension is sagged and not rebounding. this will definatly be effecting the car. sounds like you are replacing 1 shock here another bit there.

you gotta replace both items on each side of the car otherwise you will continue to have issues.

On a side note what are the profiles of the tyres front and rears? are they matched? ie both front is the same both rear is the same? I assume it would be but you never know.

could also be a worn rack or worn rack ends that are stopping the car from returning to its neutral point.

cheers

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hi, yeah definitely steering from the rear - I replaced both shocks at the same time, the greasing up of the springs and removing burrs was to see if it would make any difference at all (which it did, just not completely...) so I think I'm in line for 2 new springs - I noticed actually the other night that when my two teenage kids were in the back that the springs are sagging quite badly from at the rearmost part of the main leaf, just behind where the second largest leaf contacts....I think, in technical terms, they are rooted.

So, anyone know roughly what a pair of XB rear leaf springs will cost?

Oh, any XB's have a steering box, not a rack, so ity wouldn't be that

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:55 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

if its the same steering box set up as old F series trucks they can flog out but you would notice that everywhere. Leaf springs I would look at someone like carrolls, lovells, whiteline.. try them for a start.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cheers, thanks for that

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Also a sticky idler arm bush can cause this.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hmmm good one - didn't even think of idler bush...makes me want to just go get an rrs rack and pinion for it!! BUT then I'd have to pay many $$$'s so I'll check it out

Thanks again!

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

i agree with the idler arm dude,check the simple things first!!! could even be tight balljoints,let me know if you get stuck mate,i might be able to help,these dam old fords have so many front end components

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yep, will check but I still think the springs at the rear are the primary problem - if i jack the car up and then let it down and then drive, its fine (cos the springs get to arch right upand come down again cleanly) If I back out my driveway which is steep and puts sideways strain on the suspension, to the right, it binds up until i do a left turn - somethings definately getting hung up there and by elimination in the back I've replaced shocks, it can only be springs, front eye or rear shackles - if I replace back springs both sides i reckon I'll get it...

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Hows the rear shackles? They could be worn resulting in the rear moving when turning left or right and causing the car to "crab".

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I've had a visual inspection of the shackles with the weight of the car off them (but still with springs attached etc.) doesn't seem to be any movement there with a large screwdriver but who knows once the springs are disconnected? My thoughts are to replace both springs, shackles, front bushes all in one go - can't think what else in the back could affect anything...(shockers are already done)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]