Fordmods Logo

replacing ball joints 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: replacing ball joints
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb

QLD, Australia

Hi does any one know how to replace the upper and lower ball joints on the steering knuckel as mine are worn and make a creaking sound when ever load is placed on then in a turn cheers.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:49 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

they are pressed in..
unless you have a press? you will need to take it to a machanic or suspension place..

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

absolute bastard of a job to do,have fun!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Pedders joints don't usually charge too much to R & R supplied items like bushes & ball joints, if you just take in the stub axel or the suspension arm already removed from your car.

I personally have a 6t shop press, but last time i had to do the ball joints i got pedders to R & R them, they looked rather hard to do.

I recently had my rear upper control arms " debushed " for $20. I don't have a tool big enough to do that, but i do have a tool big enough to fit my new nolethane bushes. So i'm putting them in myself. I did have spare arm's to fit & drive around on while i am working on my original ones.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

the top ones are a c**n last time i did a set i had to blow a hole with the gas axe and then push them out

the lower ones on ea,eb,ed falcons usualy fail first i reckon have you looked there if you can get a hoist lift the car and rock the tyre up and down with your shoulder to see if not look at the upper controll arm anchour bushes these should go before the upper ball joints

even try getting a grease injector needle from supercheap and stick it on a normal grease gun and bang a wad of grease inside the boot

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:53 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Ok maybe thay arnt gorn does anyone have a pic of a stuffed ball joint so i can compare thanks

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF

QLD, Australia

if you replace your ball joints you need a wheel alignment straight away and they also get pressed in my local mec did it for $70 took him a couple of hours but yeah if your going to do it at home and have never done it before its a C*** of a job

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

djinsane wrote:
Ok maybe thay arnt gorn does anyone have a pic of a stuffed ball joint so i can compare thanks

the best way to check is jack the car up and check for movement by grabing hold of the wheel on the top and bottom and try move it up down/in out.
and you will feel it knocking.
also you can see if your wheel bearings are loose by doing this aswell.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Ok thanks for the replys guy much appreciated

Post subject: How about replacing the whole knuckle?
Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

In the process of ripping apart an EA to feed another. I also have lower ball joints dramas, but have 2 Ea steering knuckles from the other. How easy are they to replace? Can I do a straight swap? Is it worth it taking the knuckle to a mechanic to fit in ? $$?
I also have bearing issues (play in both)
Do-able?

Would be interested to hear some advice, dollars needed etc. I have the Falc manual tho unsure.

Also Im ripping out a power steering unit, with hose, hopefully rack boot (rack ends) Pump etc and putting into the wagon.

Do-able?

Would be interswted to hear some advice, dollars needed aswell. Thinking of just getting this out of the other and taking to mechanic and pay just for labour.

Cheers.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i also have a 6 tonne shop press at home, & 30 to 100 tonne brake presses at work and still got selby's to do my ball joints and it only cost me $30 coz they were out of the car. and i don't think the actual ball joints cost much more. really b**ch looking thing to do.

my wheel bearings are constantly coming slightly loose. stupid casleated nut never in the right spot. need to put shims in or something when i get 5 minutes to scratch my a***.

ahh... i remember those rear lower arms..... many scary creaking and groaning noises coming from the $150 supercheap shop press... still paid for itself with the nolathane evo kit.
upper ones are tricky but if you got the lower ones out you will get the upper ones out.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

You can change the balljoints yourself with backyard skills, but you need a creative mind to do it, and 2-3 people. I did mine by using a sledge hammer, 1 person holding the bit that has the ball joints attached to it, 1 using the sledge hammer.

I used solid steel, and some scrap tubing, thick and ok in diameter to hammer it out.

Use the hammer as if it's kinda like golf, think of putting, not driving.

I know it is abit backyardish but it does work, and you have to know what your doing.

You should also think of doing it in a nice open area, not somewhere that you could damage something.

Hope that helps abit, if you can't do it just take the control arm and get someone to press the old balljoints out and press new ones in.

James

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
You can change the balljoints yourself with backyard skills,

I used solid steel, and some scrap tubing, thick and ok in diameter to hammer it out.

James

Sounds like how i did my front Z bar bushes on the EB. Big screwdriver, 3lb mallet & bash & crash until the bushes are out. :D

Not much fun. But it worked. Next time i'll take the time to make a bush remover like the one pictured in a gregory's manual.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

it's possible.... but you would want to pay me more than $30 to hold the phukin knuckle for you ! lol

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]