Fordmods Logo

Replacing Brake Pads and Disks. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing Brake Pads and Disks.
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

Just looking for some information about replacing the disks on an EF Fairmont. I have never done it before so It'd be great if I could have some info about how to remove the disks.
Cheers

Post subject: Re: Replacing Brake Pads and Disks.
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Its not a hard job but maybe one that a workshop manual might be handy to work you through it for a first timer. Especially when it comes to the bearings and bleeding the brakes.

Manuals are around $40 from places like supercheap if not, your local library may have one you can borrow

Like what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^...get a manual, read it, understand it, then do it.
Things to watch out for, blocked bleeder nipples, busted/torn caliper slide boots, seized caliper slide pins......do NOT use grease or anti-seize compound on the slides, it makes the boots swell up and lets in dirt and water. Use a silicone type grease ( 100% water proof ) and won't hurt the rubber boots.
Apply a thin film of Greymaxx/Ultra Grey to the underside of the pad shims for the front disc pads.
This helps with sqeaky brakes.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

not a hard job, you will need grease to re do bearings, pointy pliers, and a small g clamp

bleeding the system would be good too. theres a procedure for that here somewhere

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

One thing I am not sure about is if I replace the disks do I HAVE to replace bearings? Or is it optional?

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

dont have to, but if you dont, grease them up with new stuff

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:37 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EFII Futura Stock as a

VIC, Australia

Pretty easy job mate. As already said, there's a few things to look out for.

Me and a few mates recently did this on my car and I have minimal mechanical skills. We replaced front and rear disks and pads and front bearings, the rear bearings I didn't touch. Also gave the brake fluid a flush.

I don't have many tools and just did the job with what I had and the help of this forum since I didn't have a workshop manual then either, but after the job I realised there's heaps I still wanna do and find out so I got one. If I had one from the start it would've helped heaps.

Few things to check before you start.

1. Brake cleaner, have you got it? You can never have enough of this stuff, it's awesome and smells good too. Gets rid of grease and crap form your brakes when working on the car.

2. If replacing disks do you have the right ones. ABS and non ABS, slotted etc. I went with standard DBA rotors all around as I only drive on the street and don't need extra performance. Got the ones with the abs sensor ring on them for the abs to work. The DBA rotors also come with the inner and outer cones for bearings. When you buy new bearings they have the cones with them, ideally you should knock the dba ones out and replace them with the ones that came with your bearing kit. I didn't have the right tools for this so left them be.

3. If you plan on bleeding the brakes make sure the bleeding nipples have the rubber caps on them. If they aren't covered by the caps, they most likely will be blocked by brake and road crap buildup, denying you from bleeding the brakes properly. I found out the hard way as my fronts were both blocked. Ford wanted $35 for a pair of bleeding nipples and caps. ABS wanted about $15-20 but were gonna give me second hand ones and they weren't even sure they would fit without getting it on the hoist and taking the old ones out, s**t imo. So I just unscrewed them completely and used a little screwdriver, a file, a needle and some brake cleaner to clean them out. Worked a charm. Just have to find some rubber caps now.

I don't have many pics, but I'm thinking of writing up a tech doc on changing the brakes and front bearings. I'll get started when I'm bored and I'll combine all the info I found on this forum and the workshop manual into it so it should have some easy instructions and a few pics for reference.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

insomniac wrote:
Brake cleaner, have you got it? You can never have enough of this stuff, it's awesome and smells good too

That one cracked me up :lol: , but it is good stuff cleans almost anything

Its not that hard a job replacing the rotors and pads to be honest, the real b**ch is bleeding the brakes if you decide to flush the fluid. I had issues with a blocked grease nipple and had a replacement master cylinder that went on without being primed lol. Also had issues with one of the caliper bolts, the f**k snapped on me when bolting the caliper back on :x , dunno if that would be a thing to watch out for but just check the threads on the bolts just in case you never know :wink:

As said the bearings can be re-used if they are in good nick, i used my old ones but just re-packed them with fresh grease and havent had any problems so far

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]