Fordmods Logo

replacing brushes, sway bar rubbers, ball joints ect 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: replacing brushes, sway bar rubbers, ball joints ect
Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

im pretty sure mine all need replacing, how much would this usally cost to do all these, how hard is it, and how much better will she handel / ride?
cheers

Post subject: Re: replacing brushes, sway bar rubbers, ball joints ect
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
im pretty sure mine all need replacing, how much would this usally cost to do all these, how hard is it, and how much better will she handel / ride?
cheers

hi,go to afew places and get quotes,and replace what you need,can be very expensive,i cant give you a price as labour costs and parts are unknown,urathane kits are around 500-600-fit ball joints? and labour?wheel alinment after the work,then the extras?

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 98 EL xr8

QLD, Australia

looking at doing mine next week...

i am not sure about other fords but the ef/el are a press on ball joint setup.... meaning a special pressing tool in required to fit them... wheel alignment will also have to be done.

what i am doing is fulcrum had reconditioned STUBS so i am buying new joints and while i am there get new stubs fitted.. parts including labor costing me 450 cash thats without a wheel alignment as well.. looking around the 500ish mark ....

as for sway bar bushed fulcrum and pedders quoted me 300 fitted for new bushes right round

NO longer own a car... but my work ute is a falcon..

current rides
Harley Fatboy 05
Custom shadow 07
Sportster 02

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:31 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Wagon

ACT, Australia

On my wagon I was given quotes around $1,000 front and rear just for labour to replace all of the bushes and install some camber kits. Ended up doing it myself, but it took a few days due to difficulty in getting the ball joints separated from the control arms.

I put in Nolethane all around + got 1 degree of negative camber during the wheel alignment. It really sharpened the steering response, but firmed up the ride quite a bit.

I'd imaging to do ball joints and bushes you could easily be looking at $1,200+ for labour + say $800 for good quality parts. If you were considering replacing the car in the next few years, could be a good time to bring it forward as new bushes and ball joints won't increase the car's value any at resale time.

96 EF Wagon, PRINS VSI LPG, Wade 1636, 4480's, Redback zorst, Metalcat, 3 angle valve job, .5mm overbore, hypertec pistons, shaved head (because the head was banana shaped when I brought it), Tickford 16" alloys, KYB shocks, 30mm sway bar, 1 1/2 degrees negative camber, tow bar, roof racks.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

All the bushes etc, can easily be done at home by yourself in the driveway. The ball joints however are a different story.

The cheapest way is to take the uprights to a workshop, and ask them to press out the old ones, and the press in the new ones. You can buy new ball joints off Ebay for around the $55 mark for the four, and I know of one member that was charged $70 to have the old ones removed and the new ones installed.

Look on Ebay for SuzikiSuper as they sell all the bushes you need at good prices. I recently did the front end of my EB Wagon with bushes from there.

I do recommend doing this, as my car felt much better. I have some pics in my build thread.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]