Fordmods Logo

Replacing Power Steering Hose 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Replacing Power Steering Hose
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I've noticed a fair amount of posts about power steering lately, so i decided i should post up a query of my own.

Basically, the power steering hose is leaking from the metal join in the middle and i'm guessing it needs to be replaced. I think this has come about because its in the wrong position
My questions are:
1) Can a novice like me replace it? or is there a special method/specs that needs to be followed?
2) Do I need a speed sensitive hose or are they all the same?
3) Is the correct hose the correct hose?
4) Is the hose actually in the wrong position? I'v been told that it should go under the shock tower.

Here is a pic showing where its leaking, and where i think it should go...

Thanks in advance :)

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Post subject: Re: Replacing Power Steering Hose
Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:26 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

1) It is pretty simple if you have the tools. All you have to really do is drain the fluid from the reservoir, undo the high pressure hose from both ends, put new o-rings in with the new hose, tighten everything up (can't remember if there is a set torque on the pump end of the hose...sure someone knows). Clean all fluid residue around pump/rack area, top up fluid and then run the engine and hope there are no leaks. No leaks, then turn steering wheel full lock both ways slowly 3 times...not sure if it is better to do that with wheels in the air/while moving or just while parked with wheels on the floor.

2) You need a speed sensitive hose. The "U" bent part at the rack end is different to the standard power steering system. I believe the bent bit is just bigger to clear the speed sensitive sensor.

3) ...I assume it is correct? (confused :?)

4) Routing is currently incorrect. It should go as you have pointed out in the picture...down to the K-frame, through the metal bracket, along the k-frame between sump/engine mount and pop out through the other side connecting it straight to the rack.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that phongus.
Ah, so i might acutally need a torque wrence, or do I just tighten it as much as possible? should be easy enough.
I was thinking it was the wrong hose because i've seen some with the metal join in the middle and others without it, or its probably the return hose...
Thought it was the wrong route.

cheers

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TheELghia wrote:
Thanks for that phongus.
Ah, so i might acutally need a torque wrence, or do I just tighten it as much as possible? should be easy enough.
I was thinking it was the wrong hose because i've seen some with the metal join in the middle and others without it, or its probably the return hose...
Thought it was the wrong route.

cheers

Don't need a torque wrench and don't tighten it too tight. You might damage the o-rings in the process...so sorry I can't be of much help regarding tightening there.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Don't need a torque wrench and don't tighten it too tight. You might damage the o-rings in the process...so sorry I can't be of much help regarding tightening there.

All good mate, i'm just grateful that i actually got an answer. But judging by what you said, I think i have an idea of how tight it should be...

cheers

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]