RTV diff into BA wagon? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: RTV diff into BA wagon?
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I'm researching putting an e-locker out of an RTV into a BA wagon.
Could i swap in a complete RTV axle assembly, or would conversion be required?
Or can the e-locker centre be fitted into the wagon's diff?
And what is the diff ratio on the RTV, i can't find it on the net?
Are the diff ratio's available for these 3.45, 3.7, 3.9, 4.11?

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Post subject: Re: RTV diff into BA wagon?
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

still hoping?

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Why dont you just run a lockrite diff lock in the standard housing?
I have one in my Maverick 4x4 and also have one in my Fairlane.
One is for climbing rutts one is for burnouts..................LOL
A lot less hassle and expense for the same thing.
The Ford e locker is a pile of crap and troublesome. The lockrite is fit and forget.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

How do you find driving with the lockrite? I looked into them a while ago and wasn't sure about the clicking noise and effects on handling, and some people were having problems with spring stiffness. Their own website deemed these kind of 'rough'. If the clicking noise is only a problem in slow tight-corner driving it wouldn't be a prob for me as i tend to drive country. But are they actually available for the BA wagon diff?

The powertrax seemed a better option.

But a manual locker has advantages. Why you say more expensive, wouldn't a secondhand e-locker be cheaper than a new lockrite fitted?

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
How do you find driving with the lockrite? I looked into them a while ago and wasn't sure about the clicking noise and effects on handling, and some people were having problems with spring stiffness. Their own website deemed these kind of 'rough'. If the clicking noise is only a problem in slow tight-corner driving it wouldn't be a prob for me as i tend to drive country. But are they actually available for the BA wagon diff?

But a manual locker has advantages. Why you say more expensive, wouldn't a secondhand e-locker be cheaper than a new lockrite fitted?

Use an E-Series Open centre carrier with the LR69. If they are set up well, the clicking noise is un obtrusive, to nearly non existant. I have one in my AU.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

Use an E-Series Open centre carrier with the LR69. If they are set up well, the clicking noise is un obtrusive, to nearly non existant. I have one in my AU.

Okay. Have you noticed any handling differences? Mine would have raised suspension so it would likely be more susceptible than a lowered HD suspension car.

I guess i was also wondering if the RTV diff would give me a lower ratio than the wagon, which is important. But if it's the same 3.23, or even 3.45 wouldn't be low enough, so maybe you're right and i should just go the aftermarket.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have noticed no handling differences apart from it wanting to go sideways very easily when I want it too.
A e locker will not be any cheaper due to them being stuff all available second hand.
If you do find one then pay to fix what it might need to make it new again just go the lockrite and be done with it.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
67RCE wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

Okay. Have you noticed any handling differences? Mine would have raised suspension so it would likely be more susceptible than a lowered HD suspension car.

I guess i was also wondering if the RTV diff would give me a lower ratio than the wagon, which is important. But if it's the same 3.23, or even 3.45 wouldn't be low enough, so maybe you're right and i should just go the aftermarket.

I'm still sitting at Stock AU1 XR height, which is about the same as an AU2 Forte.... The only handling difference is au EVL says, it wants to slide when you want it to.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

So if you're punting along a wet mountain road it won't decide to slide for you?

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Not unless you give it a massive bootfull. I can drive around in wet weather day in day out without sliding all over the place.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have actually noticed in the wet over the last few days that with decent tyres on the back it is actually somewhat more surefooted in the wet then it was as a single spinner.
Yes it will let go IF you want it too and it will do it in a big way but you have to be giving it to it for it to happen.
For general day to day driving it is actually a lot better in the wet.

xr6turnip wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]