Fordmods Logo

Self Leveling Suspension for Superlows ?? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Self Leveling Suspension for Superlows ??
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

i dont know much about self leveling suspension.

i have read that some people purposely remove their SLS system and replace with normal setup. And apparently they are prone to oil leaks.

1 ) what are some of the other bad things with SLS system??

Because, am able to purchase a SLS system. But its going to be used on an EF Fairmont on Superlows with a gas tank in the boot. The weight of gas tank makes the rear of the car sit lower than the front. But i was hoping installing the SLS will correct the problem.

2 ) will the SLS be suitable ???

cheers

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

As far as i know, sls works because of the height of the rear end, not whether the car is level? And therefore would be trying to raise the rear of the car because it sits lower than factory?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

depends on how you had the height control set up..... personally i think SLS is a piece of s**t

Banned

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

SLS is more problems than it is worth IMO

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

i have SLS on my '88 Mazda 323 4wd turbo (aka tx3 4wd turbo) and it worked a treat when the system was fully operational. It allowed the ride hight to be adjusted between 'low' or 'high' setting at the press of a button and the car was always level regardless of luggage and where people were sitting.

The fact that this system had a processor, air pipes, compressor, desicant dryer, pressure sensor, two height sensors, two electric switch valve blocks, special struts with intergrated air bladders ALL ment that some maintenance was needed.

Air (not oil) leaks were not out of the question in this car :)
Air leaks are a bugger to find in this car :(

The real problem with my set up (yes it is standard) was whether mazda made service parts available so you could maintain the system (answer - no they didn't - try buying a desicant dryer or gaskets for the compressor). Another problem was that if parts were available, the prices they charged for them were crazy ($1200 for a 12v compressor must be in the very absured range).

Having said that, i liked the mazda system and its height adjustment/self leveling feature. Absolute height could be set with the turn of a spanner on the front and rear sensor arms and then adjusted down by (i think) 5cms at the touch of a button :)

The larger ford was a much simpler system as it had air bladders only on the rear shocks with air hoses connecting them directly to a compressor (although there must have been a height sensor and control box somewhere on the car but i haven't seen them at the local wreckers). This should in theory mean such a system would have less problems but like anything mechanical, maintenance was needed so you have the same problems as i have experianced with my mazda, parts availability and pricing :?

So if you want a level car regardless of how much petrol and/or lpg your tanks have in them and/or how many passengers you have in the car, sls can't be beaten :)

If you want to play with shock settings, then that gets a little harder with sls as not many can/want to build shocks with air bladders attached :(

Others on this site may be able to tell us where the height sensor and control box is hidden in the larger ford falcons but in the end it's for you to weigh up (pun intended) :D

Cheers, Itchione

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

Hey Partie!
yeah they are prone to problems, Fairlanes have them and they always die! Sometimes its teh pump, could be th elines or the shockers themself!
Its easier just to replace the system with standard gas shocks!

Nicko

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: falcon

VIC, Australia

thanx for the help guys,

i think i might give it a pass than.

cheers

doing it in reverse with a fwd is like being fuked by a fat man and saying "well he has tits so i'm not gay"

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

SA, Australia

Yeah not really the best for the long term. Ford had the right idea and its a nice option...( I have it in my DA LTD) but yer it leaks and when i drive with it intialized it beeps and a check suspension light comes on...yer..so i rekon back in the day it would have been great but no nowadays..( Ive just ripped out the fuse...now my a** sits like its on superlows :D !! but it handles s**t :( ...but new suspension is on the way!

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

the height sensor is around the diff area.
you can make it think the car is lower or higher than what it actually is by adjusting the linkage.
i would personally keep it if you're constantly changing load in the back.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

if you have a car with SLS and you fit superlows all round, will the SLS still function normally?

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

fordzatmyplace wrote:
if you have a car with SLS and you fit superlows all round, will the SLS still function normally?

THe ride and handling would be rooted; the spings that come out of the SLS system are thinner than a ballpoint pen! very soft!
Im guessing it'd ruin the shocks and its just a half assed way of doing things anyway; go all new as the SLS in fords suck, way too many problems.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Post subject: Self levelling suspension
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

The self levelling suspension in my NC Fairlane still works ok.

Till I get 3 people in the back and a boot load of luggage, then the alarm goes of and the light comes on after about 15 mins.

I like the idea though. Its kind of cool and makes for a nice ride but at Xmas we are towing a 20ft van round Tassie for 2 weeks so its coming out to be replaced with standard springs and gas shockers.

If I didnt have it I certainly wouldnt be putting it in thats for sure.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

seriously if fitting superlows u should be also fitting shortened shocks also.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]