Fordmods Logo

Shift Kit + Stall Converter? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Shift Kit + Stall Converter?
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 Mustang Cobra

VIC, Australia

Please tell me what a Shift Kit and Stall Converter (eg 2000rpm stall) is? I've heard alot about them but cannot seem to find what they do.

Seem to be worthwhile upgrades though...alot of you guys seem happy with them.

Red 2002 Mustang Cobra

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Can someone give their advice here cause im pretty rusty on this topic too. :oops:

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

Pretty much that in brief a shift kit is used to increase or decrease line pressure to provide softer or firmer gear shifts.

For a stall converter say your at a set of light and wanna drag someone....with a normal EF falcon say they their torque converters have a 1000rpm stall level....meaning you can bring the revs up to 1000rpm before the wheels try to begin turning. By adding a higher stall level this will allow the car to rev from 2000,2500 and 3000rpm (are the common ones) before the wheels begin to turn.....this way when you do launch so long as traction etc is fine you will be putting more power to the ground as higher torque levels are acheived from higher engine rpms

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Big Kev wrote:
Pretty much that in brief a shift kit is used to increase or decrease line pressure to provide softer or firmer gear shifts.

For a stall converter say your at a set of light and wanna drag someone....with a normal EF falcon say they their torque converters have a 1000rpm stall level....meaning you can bring the revs up to 1000rpm before the wheels try to begin turning. By adding a higher stall level this will allow the car to rev from 2000,2500 and 3000rpm (are the common ones) before the wheels begin to turn.....this way when you do launch so long as traction etc is fine you will be putting more power to the ground as higher torque levels are acheived from higher engine rpms

shift kits also will actually lengthen the live of your tranny components because with higher line pressure and firmer shifts so long as they arent too extreme if the box isnt built to cope...gear changes are then more fluint thus creating less friction and heat....this being the autos biggest enemy.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

All id add to that is that shift kits can be electronic (commonly fitted to falcons) or mechanical (which involves replaceing the valve body within the transmission).

And on the point of stall converters, pretty much spot on but the rpm which is designated (i.e. 1200 for a standard, 3000 for an agressive converter) is the point at which the torque converter "stalls". This is not necissarily the point at which the car begins to move. A vehicle with a 3000rpm stall converter does not need to be revved to 3000rpm before it moves.

Good article here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

(torque converter = stall converter)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
All id add to that is that shift kits can be electronic (commonly fitted to falcons) or mechanical (which involves replaceing the valve body within the transmission).

And on the point of stall converters, pretty much spot on but the rpm which is designated (i.e. 1200 for a standard, 3000 for an agressive converter) is the point at which the torque converter "stalls". This is not necissarily the point at which the car begins to move. A vehicle with a 3000rpm stall converter does not need to be revved to 3000rpm before it moves.

Good article here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

(torque converter = stall converter)

true hehe just wanted a nice easy practical perspective but yeah...and the how stuff works is a good read for this topic.....read it a few months ago

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]