shift kits wats the verdict 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: shift kits wats the verdict
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: FG GT335

SA, Australia

should i go one? any one got a dual stage Tranmod one from shiftkits.com? if so wat is the differences? also i got offerd from a trans place a full trans service and shift kit fitted for $400 is that a good deal?

Thank god for the XR6 Turbo!!!!!

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

make it yourself for $20 and get a grease monkey to install for $50. plans on here somewhere

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey fat ef, when you get yours done let me know... Like you i'm a bit hesitant. The potential for increased wear/ breakage on other parts of the driveline including uni's tailshaft and diff as well as increasing internal pressure in the box all sounds like a recipe for disaster. Still it should be fun whilst it lasted. I'm gonna wait for more feedback.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

I wouldnt consider one, not for me, i like my tranny to last as long as possible.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
make it yourself for $20 and get a grease monkey to install for $50. plans on here somewhere
You'd be better off getting an auto electrician to install it than a mechanic...
But if you've got the skills to be able to make it yourself then you really should be capable of installing it yourself to as it really is a peice of piss...

There's two types of s**t kits though, the electronic resistor one that can be switched on and off and adjusted (depending on how it was made of course), or the actually replacemebnt of the solenoid or what ever it is in the transmission (which cannot be adjusted or switched on and off).

You may be interested to do a search as there are already plenty of threads on this...

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I got one.. cost me $15. Took 30mins to install.
Don't be afraid.. for $15 you might as well just give it a go and if you get stuck then come back on here and ask :)

There's a thread somewhere with lots and lots of pics and guides in it..

Post subject: shift kit
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA svo turbo, ef Fairmontl

VIC, Australia

ye the first payment of $15 is worth it i agree, but what are the chances of sumthing else in the driveline letting go??? i dont wanna snap a tailshaft goin down the freeway! if something else lets go it will probably cost alot more than $15 to fix!!!

R.I.P George.D.Gogas!!!
4.5.85 - 27.2.05

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

If you're that worried about it.. just leave it turned off most the time or fit a transmission cooler.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Don't think anyone has had a major (or any) failure from a shift kit.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No one on fordmods

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

whats with all the talk of this drive shaft breakage crap??

they are not that harsh. compared to the way a manual can be treated (and i assure you many of them do cop the same treatment mine gets) the shift kitted autos are pretty tame on the driveline.

would any of you think twice about droping the clutch in a manual car and spinning the wheels? didn't think so

would you if you had the money fit a hight stall convertor?? if the answer is yes, you are kidding youself if you think a it will do less harm then a shift kit will.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
whats with all the talk of this drive shaft breakage crap??

they are not that harsh. compared to the way a manual can be treated (and i assure you many of them do cop the same treatment mine gets) the shift kitted autos are pretty tame on the driveline.

would any of you think twice about droping the clutch in a manual car and spinning the wheels? didn't think so

would you if you had the money fit a hight stall convertor?? if the answer is yes, you are kidding youself if you think a it will do less harm then a shift kit will.

^ what he said!!!!

They're really not that harsh - no where near as rough on the drivetrain as popping the clutch. The guy who started making the first ones recommended a tailshaft loop - probably more to cover his a** than anything.

With the blower on, i used to get a nice bit of wheelspin going into second under full boost. Ive seen n/a EA's get more wheelspin when flatshifting.

I'd be much more worried about spitting the shaft on a dyno/drag strip than i would shifting into second with full line pressure in the box!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: V8 VE Calais V Spec

Power: 262 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ive got a mechanical shiftkit. (Adjustable AU S5 Solenoid) wound up a bit for more line pressure....

I havent tried the electric shift kits, but Ive had mine for about 4 years or so now, and have had no problems with it whatsoever....

I do suggest a good transmission oil cooler... regardless of having a shift kit or not.... It seems most transmission failures are from excessive fluid heat..

Also I was told (May be BS, who knows) that the extra line pressure means the bands will wear out more slowly... So its better for the transmission in some respects, but it will put more stress on the driveshaft....

Just my 2c

VE Calais V8, IQ, HSV instruments and brembos fitted.
IQ, IPC, BCM all hacked and programmed without TECH2 :)

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

ive been runnning an electric on/off kit that i made for $5.

it has been running for ages now with now problems. it does occasionaly bang a gear a very light throttle (similer feeling as going from 2nd to 4th at 20kph in a manual). and i find it fine in the wet provided you dont rev it.

but im agreed with xyphoid, get a trans-cooler, box service, before the shiftkit, or at the same time if going the mech shift kit.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Oustide Australia

Your probably right, the trans cooler is a good thing if your going to be pushing the car harder. But using a shift kit wouldn't create the extra heat to require a cooler. The higher shift pressure from the shift kits should give quicker / firmer shifts and this will result in less wear on your ur clutches / band up to a point. Shift to firm and they could start delaminating... Doubt mechanical shock would be an issue on the system.

Fix Or Re-engineer Daily?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next