Fordmods Logo

Shockers 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

stoj79 wrote:
im actually looking at get some short shocks but dont no which way to go dont hAve the budget for adjustables but want smthin with excpetional handling for the right price

Any suggestions kyb, ultima, koni....... running superlow kings spring atm , also with shortned shocks and struts does this bring the ride hieght down a little or not

Exceptional & cheap don't go hand in hand. You want something good, you need to pay for it.

In terms of shocks i'd go either Koni, Bilstein or Whiteline. I fitted Koni Yellows to my EF & i'm very happy with them.

Also, if you want a half decent ride ditch the King springs as they're too stiff. I've driven no less than three cars fitted with Kings springs & they've all felt quite harsh & choppy..

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF 5spd

ACT, Australia

daniel000 wrote:
anyone know where i can get some superlow springs from? and how much

i work a super cheap and full price i think is 129 for a pair so if u want fronts and rear's u will oviously need to double that.

depending on which super cheap you go to and who serves you postage will cost 5.95 or 11.95.

The only reason i said, i think when i was talking about the price is because i get discount. lol.

If your winning, drive like your losing.

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I've got pedders GSR shortened shocks fitted to both of my cars combined with the grey touring springs and i couldnt be happier.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Post subject: The best
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Bilstein, bilstein and bilstein. I even have them in my Vito work van. 6 cars now with bilstein, the difference between them and any thing else is night an dday, Koni might come close but when I tried them back to back in my AU ute and MK1 Esky the Billies felt initially softer but still nice and firm when you leaned on them through a corner.
Koni are marketed better .

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:05 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

I know most people are sceptical of getting anything other than a 'name' brand, but i just got a set of modified shocks that will by far out perform bilsteins, teins or anything else you can name.

It all comes down to hydralics, and these manufacturers build to their own preset standard.

The shocks I have just installed in my BA are rebuilt standard items that WELL AND TRULY outperform my original items! I have next to no body roll, the car goes exactly where i point it, and performs acrobatics on call. the only thing lettiing me down is my poor old tyres.

I installed the shocks on saturday, and have been testing my favourite corners since, and entry speeds are all MUCH higher, confidence is MASSIVE, predictability is PEAKING!

Wet roads tonight were so much fun! Everypoint where I would have had a point of second guessing were all obliterated!

The shocks I have put in are rebuilt second hand items, ideally you'd want rebuilt new items (any make), but i am SO UNBELIEVABLY happy with these second hand units!!

If anyone is thinking of getting new shocks for any model, get a quote on what you want, but before you buy call Jason.

Tell him MaTTe with the BA sent you, and you will be pleasantly surprised!

If you need ot experience it for yourself, get in touch and i'll take you for a drive in my car.

It will open your eyes to 'name' brands

PM me if you want his number, or if you want more info..

Happy Motoring!

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MaTTeB wrote:
I know most people are sceptical of getting anything other than a 'name' brand, but i just got a set of modified shocks that will by far out perform bilsteins, teins or anything else you can name.

NO it's just that anyone who has driven a car with the billies compared to any other off the shelf shock know that the billies are the best. that all there is to it.

the only people that knock the billies, haven't driven on them

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

tickford 6: that's a fair call in general..

But the guy that built my shocks has many years experience in shocks an has driven on, and pulled aprts bilsteins, konis, teins etc. He'll happily tell you all their flaws on the road and in construction.

your comment proves you are as closed minded as 'anyone that hasn't driven on bilsteins'

I understand, name brands are name brands..

But you can't go past quality of manufacture or knowledge of product.

In the end it is all just hydraulic dynamics.

If you're in Perth, i'll take you for a drive happily.. And anyone else for that matter!

Someone organise a day out at the AHG driving centre!!!!!

Happy Motoring Fellas

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

spiro89 wrote:
$135 pr front ultima struts and $95 for rears

I bought the same Ultima shorten shocks from ebay recently, I payed $135 for the front plus $15 post and the rear i got heavy duty onces for $95 plus $10 post. Im pretty happy with these shocks.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:
I put Ultima Heavy Duty Short Stroke shocks in the back of my EB with S/Low springs. Made for a much more controlled ride. I had Monroe GT's in and they kept bottoming out and felt harsh. The diametre on the Ultima shocks is a lot bigger and they are at least 50m shorter overall than the Monroe.

Highly recommended

BenJ

I have the same, with King spring Superlows, my ride control and comfort is excellent and with Monroe that dont make shorten shocks/struts for our cars so they would bottom out, i think.
I also recommend Ultima Shorten Shocks/Struts, they do back up there shocks with like 3 year/100,000 warranty and i think thats better than monroes or at least the same.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MaTTeB wrote:
tickford 6: that's a fair call in general..

But the guy that built my shocks has many years experience in shocks an has driven on, and pulled aprts bilsteins, konis, teins etc. He'll happily tell you all their flaws on the road and in construction.

your comment proves you are as closed minded as 'anyone that hasn't driven on bilsteins'

I understand, name brands are name brands..

But you can't go past quality of manufacture or knowledge of product.

In the end it is all just hydraulic dynamics.

If you're in Perth, i'll take you for a drive happily.. And anyone else for that matter!

Someone organise a day out at the AHG driving centre!!!!!

Happy Motoring Fellas

yeah well i was comparing off the shelf shocks you can walk into auto fulcrum, autobarn, super cheap, ect, and ask for a set and walk away with them.

shocks built to a purpose is a completly different league.

so your guy builds good shocks. why dont we compare those to someone els who has spent 30 years doing it, they both point out the good and bad to the other person product.

call me what you will but i'm not the one trying to compare a mass produced product to a low volume purpose made item.

it's not about a brand name, it's about what works.

i'm townsville, if your ever up this way drive my car and and tell me the bad points, please.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:35 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Quote:
tickford_6

MaTTeB wrote:

NO it's just that anyone who has driven a car with the billies compared to any other off the shelf shock know that the billies are the best. that all there is to it.

the only people that knock the billies, haven't driven on them

Sorry guys, I have been offline for a while.

You did compare custom shocks to off the shelf shocks, which was what made you closed minded, it wasn't an insult but it was merely an observation.

Compare anyone elses customs shocks if you want. It makes no difference to me.
I was trying to tell people that there are advantages to getting something that IS NOT off the shelf. Yuo were trying to tell everone that bilsteins are the best in your experience. And you have every right to. But you haven't been in my car

I haven't tried bilsteins - on my car - but have experienced them on other cars, they were alright - good for off the shelf.

I have modified shocks on my car, and was surprised how good they were when i installed them!

I'll make a mission to townsville to compare cars just for you, I'll bring my car and we'll go down to your local track (I'm guessing you have one)

Considering I only have shocks and springs on probably worn bushes, my car has some bullsh*t ability.

I'm sorry i constantly offend you with my bad explinations and terminology stockstandard, but at the end of the day new experiences are learning experiences.

Have fun team

Happy Motoring

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2