Fordmods Logo

Short Stroke Shocks + Stock Springs 

 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

 
Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

For anyone that has the time, mindset, background knowledge, basic materials, and tools or dosh, there are a bevvy of simple mods that can achieve a variety of things from short or standard length shocks, although one thing you can't generally do is increase the stroke of a short shock.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 3184

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

Location: Townsville
QLD, Australia

when i was looking at my suspension package a few years back, i was talking to whiteline with maybe the possibility of using my standard springs on the control (read low) shocks.

they actually suggested it, so yes, you can do it.

but, springs are cheap, drop it. you know you want to!! :D

 

_________________

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

nicco wrote:
when i was looking at my suspension package a few years back, i was talking to whiteline with maybe the possibility of using my standard springs on the control (read low) shocks.

they actually suggested it, so yes, you can do it.

It can be done but it's not good. I used to work around the corner from Whiteline and at that time they had little knowledge and a keen eye on each dollar, just like most aftermarket companies.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: suspension
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:18 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2410

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Yeh ive heared ppl going standard height shocks with low springs and worked out fine but if you go a shorter spring will it be alot better?

And if the spring measurement is 365 aka low from centre hub with a shorter shock would the height drop even more?

 

_________________

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: suspension
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:57 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Yeh ive heared ppl going standard height shocks with low springs and worked out fine

If the springs are firm enough, and yet don't come loose at full droop, and if the bump stops are in good condition, and if the shocks are firm, and if the car is driven according to the fact that the bump stops aren't far away, it can be fine. Falcons have more suspension travel than most cars so you have less chance of problems doing this than with other cars, as long as you don't drive the falcon differently.

Shorter shocks can improve the ride and handling under some circumstances, but if the car hits the ground the opposite is the case, plus they can cause all manner of other problems such as driveline, component clearance, etc. I'm not particularly recommending for or against them.

Quote:
but if you go a shorter spring will it be alot better?

Do you mean shorter again, super low? Or do you mean a linear rate coil versus a progressive rate? A progressive rate can be used to maintain the coil in the seat at full droop as well as have a lowered height, but there is the risk of coil bind.

Quote:
And if the spring measurement is 365 aka low from centre hub with a shorter shock would the height drop even more?

Can you explain this further?

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
nicco wrote:
when i was looking at my suspension package a few years back, i was talking to whiteline with maybe the possibility of using my standard springs on the control (read low) shocks.

they actually suggested it, so yes, you can do it.

It can be done but it's not good. I used to work around the corner from Whiteline and at that time they had little knowledge and a keen eye on each dollar, just like most aftermarket companies.

Looking again, were the "low" whiteline shocks actually shorter? If not my comments would not apply.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: suspension
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2410

Joined: 4th Sep 2006

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy

What i mean is if you go for a lower spring its better to go for a shorter shock as well but you can get away with a standard height spring.

About the shorter shock and soring package, if you get a low spring with matching shocks and company claims 365mm from hub to gaurd for the spring, is that with the standard height spring or with matching short shock.

Reason i ask is that with the combination of low spring and matching shock would it drop the height a little more opposed to a standand height shock???

 

_________________

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:47 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

the shortend shock is the travel length of the shock being shorter.
not the ride hight..

so if you use superlow springs with std shocks the car will sit low eg(365mm)but it will bottom the shocks out easier.

but if you use superlow spring on shortend shocks it will have alot more suspension travel but will still sit the same hight eg365mm)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: suspension
Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 42

Posts: 1343

Joined: 14th Dec 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

Location: seaspray
VIC, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
What i mean is if you go for a lower spring its better to go for a shorter shock as well but you can get away with a standard height spring.

If you lower the car say 20mm, a standard length shock is best, i.e. ford s-pack and xr6.

If however you have shorter shocks, they are not suitable for standard height springs, because the shock absorbers will 'top out', i.e. they will not allow an appropriate amount of suspension droop, which causes harshness and handling problems.


Quote:
About the shorter shock and soring package, if you get a low spring with matching shocks and company claims 365mm from hub to gaurd for the spring, is that with the standard height spring or with matching short shock.

Unless you've got a grossly mismatched package, or obscure specialist shock absorbers, the shock absorbers have little or no effect on the height of the car. The shock absorbers dampen the movement of the suspension, whereas the springs hold up the body.

Quote:
Reason i ask is that with the combination of low spring and matching shock would it drop the height a little more opposed to a standand height shock???

No, refer above.

Having said all that, while a non gas pressurised shock absorber has no effect on the ride height, a gas pressurised twin-tube type shock does cause a very slight increase in height, a mm at most, and a monotube a tad more.

 

_________________

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names